Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on cycle path

Options
  • 22-09-2006 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

The school near me has a carpark - a big one. I regularly cycle down past the school, but the parents don't use the carpark because its on the other side of the road. There's a pedestrian crossing, but they can't be arsed.. They park on the cycle path outside the school.

That's bad enough, but they drive on the pavement to park on it, and parallel park, which means maneuvering etc.

Then they walk their kids up the pavement and cycle path alike, giving cyclists the evil eye for endangering their kids.

I often have to go onto the road proper, which is a pain because its a good long stretch til the next place I can get back on the cyclepath without stopping. I often get beeps from drivers who object to me being on the road ( rightly) when there's a cycle path there.

I drive as well, but would never dream of doing this.

Yesterday i almost called the Gardai, I got so ticked off about it.

Should I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Wasting your time calling the Garda. Most of the problems on the roads are caused because everyone knows that the Gards dont enforce the regulations, so everyone does what they want knowing the chance of being penalised is nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not talk to the school? I'd imagine they would be helpful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Write a letter to the Secretary of the Board of Management. (I presume it's a primary school). It will have to be read out at the next meeting and it may result in a circular being sent to parents re parking on a cycle lane/path/track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I like that one, except that I'd rather them not know it was me giving out. it's a small community...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The travelling community ? You know like.. travelling to and from the school..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have a word with the council, complaining that the school is causing a nuisance.

Or the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is this a seperate cycle path they park on or just a red patch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

It's a red section of pavement. It's off the road itself, but divided from teh pavement only by the colour of the tarmac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

ring the gardai every day it happens until they do something about it.

the gardai hate being asked to do anything that seems trivial.

If nothing is done then report the Gardai to the Traffic Office.

Supt. John Farrelly is the main man in that office in Phoenix Park

S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Parents generally cause consternation and confusion outside every school between the hours of 8.30-9.30 and 2-4. I think this happens outside every school in the country! Certainly it happens outside every school I know of. In Glanmire (outside Cork City) for instance the village comes to a standstill for a half an hour and there may be a mile long tailback

I can't see the Gardaí wanting to know about your particular situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Wasting your time calling the Garda. Most of the problems on the roads are caused because everyone knows that the Gards dont enforce the regulations, so everyone does what they want knowing the chance of being penalised is nil.
    This is so true!

However by reporting it to the Guards they have to log the report in their book. Do this a couple of times and they will have to respond to it - otherwise they will be failing their duties. Also, if an accident should occur and you have reported the situation and it has not been acted on someone could get into trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Im likin the idea of writing a letter to the parents council....or how about do both......its one sure way to get somethin done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I agree with contacting the school and the Gardai - the local community guard might be a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Still a waste of time, as stated earlier the gardai will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

slumped wrote:
    the gardai hate being asked to do anything that seems trivial.
    In fairness to the Gardai, they are in a no-win situation. If they ticket motorists for parking in a cycle lane, they will be accused of not going after 'real' criminals. In my area, 90% of motorists park with two wheels on the footpath - illegal and unnecessary. Occasionally, when they are rightly issued with tickets, the Garda is referred to as a 'bóllox' in the local pub just because he does his job.

Advertisement