Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.net 2005 standard vs professional

Options
  • 22-09-2006 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I am trying to evaluate which of the .net 2005 products will meet my clients needs. Client is a small company who develop bespoke applications for the manufacturing and logistics sectors. Their development which is mostly windows based at the moment, will be carried out and controlled by 1/2 people. SQL Server and access are the current database platforms although there is talk of looking at mySQL.

I am just trying to figure out if their requirements justify the extra outlay for 2005 professional.

Any help/comment appreciated.

The link to the ms comparison screen is
    http://***n.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx

The ***n in the above should read ***n but everytime I save it, the ***n is replaced with ***n

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Talisman

AFAIK the main difference between Standard and Professional is the inclusion of the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2005. If you don't intend to use the software then there's no need to fork out the extra for it. There may also be additional XML support in the Professional edition - that was the case for the 2003 product anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

And Crystal Reports, and different built-in XML editing capabilities, and a few other bits all of which you can see in the link provided by the OP.

To be honest....I can't really understand the question.

You know what the differences are. Surely you can tell whether or not you might use/need them?

Advertisement