Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bulbs keep going

Options
  • 22-09-2006 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

At a loss to figure out why the bulbs keep going in my car.. i've repaced the rear brake lights at least 4 times in two years, the spots twice and the park lights at least 3-4 time also? Now the speedometer light is gone on one side along wit the gear stick panel & some in the dash?

Any idea's what causes this? Is it worth while replacing all the fuses??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

possibly sounds like a fault with the alternator, putting an excessive voltage out, and reducing the life of the bulbs... even 1 or 2 volts too much would greatly reduce the life a bulb...

If you have a mutli-meter, or know someone with one, you can monitor the voltage at the terminals of the battery, with the engine running, also rev the engine. The battery voltage should be between 13.5 & 14.5V, no matter what the engine speed is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Check the voltage regulator. As poster above says it's part of the alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Could be just crap bulbs, the motor factors are mostly stocking cheap ones. Try and find "Osram" bulbs.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

VW Golf mk 4 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stephen wrote:
    VW Golf mk 4 by any chance?

My thoughts exactly but if the light on the speedo is gone also then it sounds like there is an overload somewhere. Possible voltage problem as others have suggested.

A job for an auto spark if your not familiar with car electrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stifz wrote:
    i've repaced the rear brake lights at least 4 times in two years,
    Four times in two years- you lucky sod. I have to replace the brake light bulbs in my MB W210 every 2 months or so. I failed the NCT lately because one went on the way into the test centre. Always carry spares now ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

That's not bad in fairness - If you had said a bulb per week I would have guessed it was a BMW :rolleyes:

Advertisement