Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tribune

Options
  • 22-09-2006 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Now usually I would read the tribune any day over the observer but this week it was quite frankly horrific! The 'news' barely qualified as news really and overall there was five articles written on the coke boycott!!Which like hgappened three years ago and while is still relevant dosent need 5 articles written about it!
    While the 'know your barman' section was amusing and the turbine remained its usually funny self (the headlines always make me giggle) the rest of it was a poor reflection on what is was last year.
    Bring back rud!The new 'drunken conversations' part really didnt deserve a full page in an already small newspaper and was painful to read.
    It didnt at all seemed to be organized and the whole paper seemed to be a scrapbook belonging to some mental patient with massively sporadic thoughts. There was no structure to it all. Jumping from the Coke boycott, to articles about freshers week and then a whole pull out section on freshers week to articles about the coke boycott again.It made me dizzy just reading it.
    What was other view of the tribune this week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah its a crap issue alright but still better than the "Ob-'up our own holes'-server". i love the turbine section of the tribune, 'Still only 31p!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ferdi wrote:
    yeah its a crap issue alright but still better than the "Ob-'up our own holes'-server". i love the turbine section of the tribune, 'Still only 31p!'

The turbine headlines are the best :) I dont know, the observer may be overtaking the tribune for me judged on this week editions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the Observer does have a sulphuric whiff about it which makes me treat it with disdain

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Yeah, the tribune was a better paper, but it was shite this week. Also, has anyone noticed it came out the same week as the observer, but a few days later and so contains virtually no new news? As opposed to last year when they came out alternate weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I will genuinely miss the Turbine this year, whoever writes it is a satirical genius. Rud's World was great reading last year too; really excellent stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hmm, I actually thought that in terms of design and layout, the Tribune was way better this week. The new entertainment supplement was brilliant. The observer has always been stuffy and boring, but O2 did have its appeal. This year though, it's very tired and mundane.

I heard one of my more right-wing (by college standards) mates terming the Tribune "the college paper". That's a step in the right direction in my books.

I think Simon Ward is a genious in terms of design, and Colin Gleeson is a fantastic writer. Certain columns will be sorely missed, but what can you do? The writers have left UCD! I'm sure there will be bigger and better columns this year once the paper finds its feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I met the Features Editor in the bar on tuesday, he seems a nice bloke. On the right track as far as I'm concerned. Plus he said he'd publish some of my comics if they're good. (which they are :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Excuse my ignorance, but where can one get the Tribune??

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pretty much everywhere. They're just lying around on the ground in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

its €2 in centra or any SU shop

• Advertisement

It's free, and you can't get it in a shop.

We're talking about the College Tribune. I mean, who's actually ever read the Sunday Tribune ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I was talking to Owen the news editor who wrote most of the articles.He said that they badly need new writers and they would gladly facilitate new writers like giving them advice and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

wasnt it only the first edition this year? Im sure as they get settled with their writers both papers will get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Worst Edition Ever !

Last year Faustaus was reasonable funny, therefore making it the best thing to read between both papers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Ah but you see the Observer the edge over the Tribune by having a nice office in the Student Centre, a larger print run and the general security of Student Union funds behind them.But anyway the Tribune does great writing when the new writers get settled in for a paper funded by advertising and sponsorship.I think people would prefer to write for the Observer than the Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It's free, and you can't get it in a shop.

We're talking about the College Tribune. I mean, who's actually ever read the Sunday Tribune ffs?
    I know. I was just taking the piss. What happened was I opened up all the threads I was interested in in new tabs. So when I got round to writing my above post I didnt see yours since you made it after I origionally opened the thread.

Hmm, I actually thought that in terms of design and layout, the Tribune was way better this week. The new entertainment supplement was brilliant. The observer has always been stuffy and boring, but O2 did have its appeal. This year though, it's very tired and mundane.

Really?From what I can see it really lacked any real layout or design and where was this new ents supplement? There was a freshers supplement alrite which was almost as big as the the actual paper. I dont think you can really have a pullout supplement in a paper that already consists if just 10 pages anyway.I think it would have worked better if you didnt have to jump from reading about the barmen (funny:) ) to reading about the coke campaign and then back to reading about the barman again. The layout for the sports section was just awful I thought. It was like they forgot to leave enough space for the sport and so just squashed it into two pages at the end,with good articles squashed into a tiny space making it very difficult to read.
    Chakar wrote:
    that they badly need new writers and they would gladly facilitate new writers like giving them advice and tips.

That did seem quite obvious from the first edition but Its difficult to know what the tribune editors are looking for to put in there paper. If I was going to submit an article to any paper it would probably be the observer as there is a clear political,health,ents and international section. Where would you begin writing an article for the tribune?Would you have to mention the coke boycott at least once for it to be published?

Anyway, I hope the tribune gets back to its former glory as it was always a refreshing change from the stuffy observer. I think something that would help the tribune a lot is better distrubition. The only place I find I can ever pick up the tribune is in the arts block. It didnt make it out to the terrace this week and it rarely did last year. Its also not very often outside the library but there is always millions of them around the blob.If the tribune was better disributed to ALL students then perhaps more people would write for it.

Aslo on a side note,did I see a letter in the observer from a certain Boards individual :)(cough stepherunie cough)? The sadest thing about the accomodation and emplyoment officer position is its now a full time position with a nice wage yet like his last four predecessors(its always a man) continues to be filled with mates of union people who dont really have a clue whats going on in the accomodation front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

panda100 wrote:
    The only place I find I can ever pick up the tribune is in the arts block

The Obsever is everywhere but I've never actually seen the tribune. I don't usually have to be in the arts block but i think i'll pop over sometime to have a look for the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

/me twiddles thumbs waiting for the Observer to reach my postbox

Writing a column from Germany for O2 ain't fun without a UK-European plug adapter. Honestly, they coulda made OpenOffice v1.0 more simple to use, even if my copy was in German on a cybercafe machine...

/me twiddles thumbs waiting for the Observer to reach my postbox

Writing a column from Germany for O2 ain't fun without a UK-European plug adapter. Honestly, they coulda made OpenOffice v1.0 more simple to use, even if my copy was in German on a cybercafe machine...

Yeah I read it!It was really good actually gav.Looking forward to the next installment

• Advertisement
Advertisement