Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief

Options
  • 22-09-2006 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Is it possible to claim tax back/rent relief on rent paid in 2004/2005??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭discosue

Yeah you can claim for 3 years previous as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cantona92

What about if you paid rent in your parents house, say €100 a week for 3 years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

cantona92 wrote:
    What about if you paid rent in your parents house, say €100 a week for 3 years??

I claimed a few months ago for €50 a wk for the last 3 years for living in my parents and got a cheque in the post no bother 5 wks later........ said on the form if asked to produce receipts you will need to but I was never asked!

From what I remember you can earn €7,500 or €7,650 rental on a room annualy exempt from tax so your parents shouldn't get stung at €100 a wk

Disco sue, how much did you get back if you dont mind me asking??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

What if you had parents who were receiving non-contributory pensions. Would this income effect them then?

<EDIT> Just found this on the oasis.gov.ie site:
    Effect of rental income on social welfare payments

If you are getting a means-tested social assistance payment from the Department of Social and Family Affairs any rental income you get will be assessed as means and may effect your payment. However, rental income will not be assessed as means, if you are getting an Old Age (Non-Contributory) Pension or Widow's/Widower's (Non-Contributory) Pension and you would be living alone unless you rented out a room in your home.

So if i'm reading that right, if one of the two parents was on non-contrib. pension and the other was still living there, I wouldnt be entitled to claim without it affecting the pension?
    </EDIT>

Does anyone know how much you can actually get back (claim) in one year. Say if I am paying 100 per week to my mum, how much of that will I receive back? Or whats the maximum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

cantona92 wrote:
    Does anyone know how much you can actually get back (claim) in one year. Say if I am paying 100 per week to my mum, how much of that will I receive back? Or whats the maximum?

Its 330 for '06, check revenue website for totals.

You can claim as far back as '02 assuming you were in fulltime employment since then.
    For '06 they dont send you a cheque, its added to your tax credits for the year.

So im after claiming for 2002, 03, 04, 05 - does that mean i will get 330 per yr or therabouts??

cantona92 wrote:
    Disco sue, how much did you get back if you dont mind me asking??

About €750 in cheques and then I got some money back with my wages, can't remember how much that was sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

What if you had parents who were receiving non-contributory pensions. Would this income effect them then?

<EDIT> Just found this on the oasis.gov.ie site:
    Effect of rental income on social welfare payments

If you are getting a means-tested social assistance payment from the Department of Social and Family Affairs any rental income you get will be assessed as means and may effect your payment.
    However, rental income will not be assessed as means, if you are getting an Old Age (Non-Contributory) Pension or Widow's/Widower's (Non-Contributory) Pension and you would be living alone unless you rented out a room in your home.

So if i'm reading that right, if one of the two parents was on non-contrib. pension and the other was still living there, I wouldnt be entitled to claim without it affecting the pension?correct
    </EDIT>
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

cantona92 wrote:
    So im after claiming for 2002, 03, 04, 05 - does that mean i will get 330 per yr or therabouts??

Nope.

'06 is 330.
    '05 is 300
    '04 is 254
    '03 is 254
    '02 is 254

I know as i claimed the exact same thing and have revenue statements of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this i.e. can parents receive rent under the RaRS and can the child receive rent relief on rent paid?

Advertisement