Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrs hill - cork terrible transport

Options
  • 22-09-2006 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

if anyone knows anyone in the county council roads dept would they please please please pass on to them the stupidity of carrs hill in the mornings? 15 minutes waiting there this morning coz some fool crashed, same last monday as the gardai did spot checks for drink driving at peak traffic times.

after waiting 9 years for the kinsale road roundabout flyover, someone has to realise that carrs hill is a country lane that cannot cope with the traffic so much so that if you do the right thing and pull into queue of traffic in the fast lane going up carrs hill from carrigaline, all the w**nkers in the slow lane including trucks doing savage speeds then zoom up the inside and it ends up two abreast going into the closing end of the slow lane with people carefully ignoring each other and playing "chicken" to see who will give in first

michael mcgrath and simon coveney (is he still taking 2 salaries as MEP and TD?) will be getting an earful from me if they call to my door

carrigaline transport is s**ite, cant even get a late bus nitelink home so all pay a fortune to taxis. Glanmire got a park and ride during the week. Either change carrs hill from a country lane or stick a park and ride on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Surely there are procedures in place for lodging official complaints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And it is only going to get worse. With the Port Of Cork moving their container terminals to Ringaskiddy, Carrs Hill will be choked 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi all, I was on to Simon Coveney's office for an update on the situation, as I too experience the "hell of the hill". But did you know that the whole of the
    N28 from the Bloomfield Interchange at Rochestown to Ringaskiddy is being
    upgraded over the coming years (at a huge cost). The existing road will be
    widened from Rochestown to the Shannon Park roundabout and a new road
    will be built from Shannon Park to Ringaskiddy, by-passing Shanbally.

Glanmire doesn't have a Park and Ride, only a proposal to build one in
    conjunction with the new rail service. However a Park and Ride is
    proposed for Shannon Park,as part of the new developments.

Unfortunately we’ll all have to endure the inevitable delays during the construction phase of the new road, but like the Kinsale Road
    roundabout, it will be worth it.

Hope that answers some of your queries. Regards, J

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

while were complaining about roads, whats up with that disgraceful Fermoy bypass? The motorway only starts a few hundred meters before the toll plaza... Miles and miles of motorway quality (or better) road before that from the Jack Lynch tunnel is going to remain at 100km/h. I was driving up to Fermoy last weekend and almost crashed, such was the disbelief at the crazyness.

Spend millions upon millions building the shagging road and upgrading the crash barriers all the way from the jack lynch tunnel to the toll plaza only to leave the vast majority of it at 100km/h. Yeah, that makes sense. I can only imagine it's going to be a great cash cow once the motorway opens. Or err, a second cash cow. First being the toll, second being the speeding fines when people ignore the end of motorway signs. Gah, Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bjd

gimmick wrote:
    And it is only going to get worse. With the Port Of Cork moving their container terminals to Ringaskiddy, Carrs Hill will be choked 24/7.

Brilliant point, didnt think of that. And Haulbowline is also supposed to be revamped so that will add to the pain.

Judes, thanks for the update on the roads, I had heard of that N28 road that would be built but I just cant figure out why they would wait so long to do it, should have been done when the main road was being built. I have heard only good things about S Coveney in carrigaline (even though I still think he is getting 2 salaries-bad form-no vote from me) but I think they were fobbing you off with the Cork Strategic Plan which mentions all of what you were told. Call me cynical but if we went back and asked them a time line as to when it was starting and how long it would take and when it would be finished I bet the answers wouldnt be definitive. (you dont have any info about a non landline reasonable broadband package do you?)

Glanmire got the nod for the park and ride last week which will be at the north east corner of the dunkettle roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Traffic in Carrigaline has gone from being just about tolerable a couple of years ago to horrendous now. When I asked Michael McGrath about what he intended on doing the worsening situation the last time he knocked on the door last election time, he denied the traffic problem was worsening :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AutumnDays

Hey guys, I was living in Dublin for the past year - and was lucky enough to be living right next to the LUAS line - real dream for transport and getting around. Didn't need the car anymore.

Just wondering - I heard a rumour that they were planning a similar system here in Cork - has anyone heard this???

AutumnDays wrote:
    Hey guys, I was living in Dublin for the past year - and was lucky enough to be living right next to the LUAS line - real dream for transport and getting around. Didn't need the car anymore.

Just wondering - I heard a rumour that they were planning a similar system here in Cork - has anyone heard this???

I dont believe a word of it and anyway it should have been brought in years ago.

Re the earlier comment about Michael McGrath denying the traffic was getting worse, that just says it all really, I mean the man wrote a letter to the examiner congratulating ascon for building the kinsale rd roundabout on time (we were never told when it was meant to be finished) and within budget (what was done with the amount that they saved). He also congratulated them for working late at night and at weekends. I mean every other european country does this as a matter of course for gods sake and the kinsale roundabout couldnt have been on time, it was 9 years late.

If you vote for M McGrath thats what you will be voting for.

1. Carrs hill is a bottleneck until they stop access on that little lane that goes across to castletreasure.
    2. The N28 plan is on the NRA website but there is no movement at all on it.
    3. Carrigaline needs a fleet of smaller sized buses dedicated to it that leave carrigaline at LEAST every fifteen minutes.
    4. Carrs Hill and the road all the way in to city centre needs a dedicated bus lane.
    5. A night link option should be in place running until 2.30am at least. People would quite happily pay for it. It works in another larger city called Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

bjd wrote:
    if you do the right thing and pull into queue of traffic in the fast lane going up carrs hill from carrigaline, all the w**nkers in the slow lane including trucks doing savage speeds then zoom up the inside and it ends up two abreast going into the closing end of the slow lane with people carefully ignoring each other and playing "chicken" to see who will give in first

erm... no such thing a a fast and slow lane, what you have is a driving lane and an overtaking lane... and the people in the driving (inside) lane are the ones in the right...sorry. nobody but nobody should be queuing in the overtaking lane.
    just because everybody does it does mean they are right. in fact what you should be saying is "all the w**nkers queuing in the overtaking"

some of the road congest problems in ireland are because people don't know how to use the roads.

erm... no such thing a a fast and slow lane, what you have is a driving lane and an overtaking lane... and the people in the driving (inside) lane are the ones in the right...sorry. nobody but nobody should be queuing in the overtaking lane.
    just because everybody does it does mean they are right. in fact what you should be saying is "all the w**nkers queuing in the overtaking"

some of the road congest problems in ireland are because people don't know how to use the roads.

Duly noted - i stand corrected,however,I will point out that if the roads were designed correctly in the first place we shouldnt have to do it and the scary part is the slow lane is the only one moving so I am a lot safer than trying to squeeze in from the slow lane into the "overtaking" lane of traffic where no one will let you in thereby causing the "slow" lane to come to a standstill as well as the "overtaking" lane. I take your point but reality is completely different.

• Advertisement

Judes wrote:
    But did you know that the whole of the
    N28 from the Bloomfield Interchange at Rochestown to Ringaskiddy is being
    upgraded over the coming years (at a huge cost).

i noted in the cork county council minutes that there was tenders opened for Site Investigation Contracts for the N28 road. Something is happening on it alright but we need facts as to when. Cllr Michael Mcgrath of carrigaline should be able to update us given that he is on the council.....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

This is where the confusion comes from, the sign on carrs hill says, "slow lane ends 200m", then 100m etc. So if the slow lane "ends", you should be moved into the "fast"/right hand lane, if you go by the sign....chaos.

cc wrote:
    This is where the confusion comes from, the sign on carrs hill says, "slow lane ends 200m", then 100m etc. So if the slow lane "ends", you should be moved into the "fast"/right hand lane, if you go by the sign....chaos.

very true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

acccording to government statistics a few years ago - carrigaline has the highest commuter rate of a town in the whole of ireland - something like 74%.
    so everyone in the country knows it is a busy area.cars hill is a disaster - not only is it too small and liable to cause tailbacks and accidents it has also been the result of many fatal car crashes. thos last point alone is enough to force councillors to have a serious rethink of the road

cc wrote:

folks

left at 8.01 this morning - took 30 mins to get so we got up to a whopping 16 miles an hour average (up from yesterdays 9.6).

lo and behold queue on carrs hill. I took on board the comments that everyone in the overtaking lane was wrong and felt like a l**ger passing out all those cars. One of the drivers in the overtaking lane also felt like this and pulled across in to the "slow" lane to block me. Half his car was in my lane and the other half in the other lane so he could keep his place. Proves my point from the earlier post.

it has also been the result of many fatal car crashes.

we to be fair it was to old road that had most of the fatalities. i could be wrong but i think since the new road was done one has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Michael McGrath isn't the only Councillor covering the area - if you want answers contact John Collins (Waterpark area) or Tim Lombard (Minane Bridge). See FG website, click onto Councillors, then Cork County Council - details are there within Profiles)

There's still a "village mentality" towards Carrigaline - and anyone living there knows it's a rapidly expanding town. We're supposed to be one of the wealthiest nations - yet Ireland's transportation/road system is archaic. Why are we still queuing in traffic, dodging craters (aka pot holes), praying when we're on certain main roads that the driver in the next lane stays there and doesn't cross onto your side - because the white line isn't there!!!

It's more than Carrigaline and Carrs Hill - it's most of the country.

did 5 day personal survey of going to city centre in morning via carrs hill, worked out that on avg it takes 37 mins to go 8 miles an avg speed of 13.15 mph.

Carrs hill is a disaster. County Council have out things in place to block that little side road that comes from castletreasure. they will stop drivers from turning right from the main road on to the small road and will also stop drivers from turning right from the small road on to the main rd. No mention of stopping them from turning left from small rd onto the main rd which of course is what is causing the blockage.

Cllr M McGrath confirmed in leaflet it will be 2 YEARS before they widen that road.

COnclusion: dont go to town via carrs hill in the mornings. Kinsale flyover has meant you now have to leave carrigaline at least 10 mins earllier than before and I'm told that easiest way of avoiding traffic on south link road heading for town is stay on the lane that heads for the airport and where the road is poorly deisgned and splits in 2 so that most of the cars turn left, the lane heading for the airport, people zoom in illegally to the lane on their left which is the city centre lane which is empty. Its all fun and games.

Advertisement