Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 3 Price Cut!!

• 22-09-2006 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

http://breakingnews.ie/2006/09/22/story277804.html

Japan’s Sony Corporation today said it was to lower the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft announced it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, which is due to be released later this year with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony will cut the price of its basic PlayStation 3 model in Japan to 47,600 yen (€319.52), from an originally planned 59,800 yen (€401.40).That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen (€332.94).

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. The price of another 60 gigabyte version will be left to retailers.

The PlayStation 3 will go on sale in Europe at £335 (€498) for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at £402 (€598) for the 60 gigabyte version.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The top bundle is still €600, wheres the pricecut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Almost €180 more for the console here than in japan?
    They must think we're muppets.

I had a ps1, and a ps2, but i will not buy the ps3 on principle if i'm treated in this way by sony!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

CiaranC wrote:
    The top bundle is still €600, wheres the pricecut?

I didn't comment cos the article speaks for itself.

As Xterminator said, price cut for Japan.

Reaming for us.

Give the Japanese market the sweet deal, delay the European launch, then throw the cost onto the European market. The consoles that hit us won't even be the first run (so, presumably, they'll be less expensive to produce).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

There is a thread in Games too just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The less expensive models will now include HDMI output ports. HDMI, the high-definition output port was considered extravagant when first announced, but necessary now as the adoption rate of HDTVs continues to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The less expensive models will now include HDMI output ports. HDMI, the high-definition output port was considered extravagant when first announced, but necessary now as the adoption rate of HDTVs continues to grow.
    It was nescerary since before the PS3 was announced, don't listen to the marketing crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

quad_red wrote:
    in Japan

just thought i'd highlight that before you explode with excitement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at that price difference Sony can go fuck themselves. i'd rather upgrade my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

600 for a ps3..no thanks,really do feel sorry for the parents this christmas..thats there christmas bonus out the window!!!!!why are we..the most gaming( as a hobby) developing country get screwed whilst those japs gets the bonuses..no fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

They're also cheaper in the US. $600...thats about €480. Ridiculous when you consider Ireland is 2nd only to Japan for sales per head. But people will still buy them in their droves. I'm thinking of ordering 10 or so for when Smyths etc run out. Sell then for €1000 a pop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement