Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott Taxi Day

Options
  • 22-09-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I think instead of the taxi drivers holding the country to randsom on their chosen days, why dont people pick a day to boycott them, therefor taking the desicion out of their hands. It wouldn't work on a weekend cos everyone would just get pissed and use them, but say a monday or tuesday! Give the greedy beggars something to really moan about!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

good idea man, doubtful it wud happen though, people are just too lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

No its a great idea.

If it got a little press coverage, it would get the message across to the taxi drivers that they cant act in this manner without any repercussions.

And thats regardless of how successful it was. If some activists were o picket the main taxi ranks, it would be even more effective!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

No its a great idea.

If it got a little press coverage, it would get the message across to the taxi drivers that they cant act in this manner without any repercussions.

And thats regardless of how successful it was. If some activists were o picket the main taxi ranks, it would be even more effective!

X
    If you really want to get it going you need to get started.

Pick a date well in advance, build a website to start things moving. Perhaps start one of the online petitions as well. promote the website and petition here on boards (assuming the admins are OK with that) and other website.

Get onto the news/media board and see if there is any media types willing to pimp your site. You need to get as many people as possible to find out what is happening. I think a lot of people will feel strongly enough about this to want to join in..... if they know about it.

Then start call radion stations, I would guess that newstalk would be interested.

I think would be a good thing to do but it won't work if it is only a few people on boards.

I agree, it is time we showed these guys that they are not the only people that can cause disruption and hassle.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

excellent idea, ill help you if you want, i put up a thread here a few weeks calling for the same thing, it might be still here, it was called 'held to ransom'.
    i was wrong to call for on a saturday though.
    i would suggest a thursday because all of the weekend workers go out on monday nite to get drunk and tuesday & wednesday would be dead in town and it may not have much of an impact.
    keep me posted

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

It's a brilliant idea.
    I have a vague idea that someone tried to/did this before a few years ago. Am I imagining things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't see how it would work. If the chosen days were scheduled in advance, the taxi drivers would just use those days as their days off for that week and work the other 5 days. (Assuming that most probably take a couple of days off anyway each week).

I can't see how it would work. If the chosen days were scheduled in advance, the taxi drivers would just use those days as their days off for that week and work the other 5 days. (Assuming that most probably take a couple of days off anyway each week).

i wouldnt say every driver would take that day off, and if they did it would be seen as another strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SBD

Why is it everyone hates taximen! they have a right to strike just like nurses, teachers etc..etc.. Everyone gives them a hard time but the problem is they are not represented very well and to be honest the unions are not well run.
    Yes there are some grumpy, greedy taximen but it's no different to any other profession. The majority of them are fine. yes I've met the grumpy ones, been in the smelly cars but the MAJORITY are fine. Give them a break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

riddik wrote:
    good idea man, doubtful it wud happen though, people are just too lazy
    what about all the people trying to get to hospitals for treatment etc. i see loads of them everyday and thats only one hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my girlfirend's dad's a taxi driver. since deregulation and the loss of the pension he was planning to get from selling the plate, he doesn't get a day off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Let's go for it. A day in approx 2 weeks time would be good just to let it gather momentum. Any suggestions?

Phoenix3 wrote:
    Let's go for it. A day in approx 2 weeks time would be good just to let it gather momentum. Any suggestions?

once the day has been decided upon, send a txt/ email to all of your mates and tell them to do the same, it shouldnt take long to gather momemtum

Advertisement