Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Without an ATM Card....

Options
  • 22-09-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi, ok first off all I'll try to run through the series of events which leads me up to today:

Wednesday 30th August - I go to a Bank of Ireland ATM machine in one of The Mortgage Store shops, put in my PermanentTSB Open24 ATM/Laser card. As soon as my card goes in the slot the machine gives the message "Sorry for the inconvenience, this machine is temporarily Out of Order". I think huh, ok, so give me my card back? I tell the girl behind the desk what happened, she says that the ATM machine is nothing to do with them, it's part of the Talbot Street Branch. I get on the phone to the Bank of Ireland branch who the ATM is part of, they say "Oh that's nothing to do with us, Securicor deal with that ATM". I'm thinking, oh ok it's not actually a Bank of Ireland ATM machine at all, IT'S A SECURICOR ATM MACHINE!!! No point in venting at the IDIOT on the phone, so I ring my Permanent TSB Branch. They tell me I can take the chance that Securicor will post the card back to the Branch the next time the machine is being filled, or order a new card. I say ok, I'll order a new card. But, the girl says, you'll have to come in to the branch to do this. EH? Then she says am I set up on Open24 (their telephone/online banking), which I am, she says they can do it over the phone. During this time the ATM becomes active again, but doesn't spit my card back out.
    So, long story short, on the 30th August I ring Open24, order my 1st replacement card and am told it will take 5 working days.

Wednesday 6th September - 5 working days later - no sign of 1st card

Tuesday 12th September - 9 working days later - no sign of 1st card - Ring Open24, ask what the story is. Told "It must have been lost in the post, should be there by now, you'll have to order a replacement". So 2nd replacement card ordered, but am told this time they take 5 - 7 working days.

Friday 15th September - 1st replacement card arrives 12 working days after it was ordered, ring Open24 - this card had been cancelled after phone call on the 12th, so it's of no use. The girl on the phone says that the cards come from the UK, and there was a batch of them that were delayed which my first card must have been part of. Am thinking "Why couldn't they have contacted me to tell me this, why did I have to ring them?"

Wednesday 20th September - Letter arrives with PIN number for 2nd replacement card, open it and the sheet that has all the writing about the PIN number is blank - they forgot to print the PIN. Start laughing at this...

Friday 22nd September - haven't received 2nd replacement card, but am thinking it could be in the post today and is of no use without a PIN number, so ring Open24 thinking that they can probably give me it over the phone (I know, fairly optimistic, or down right stupid of me). The guys says there was a problem with the printing of a batch the PIN numbers, so I'll have to order a replacement card. My 3rd replacement.

So that's where I'm at today. I tell the guy the series of events and ask can the card be fast-tracked, as I'll be over a month without an ATM card by the time this one arrives. He says there isn't, they come in batches. I ask why, if they knew there was a problem with the printing of a batch of the PIN numbers why they couldn't have been a bit more proactive about it and got in touch with the affected Customers. He said they didn't know which cards it affected.

I know it's not his fault, he's just answering the phones, so I don't give him too much jip, but I lodge a complaint with him, someone will be in touch with me.

Any ideas where to go with this?

I only switched over to Permanent TSB from Ulster Bank 2 months ago...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

30th Aug - ordered card
    12 sept - ordered 2nd card
    15 sept - 1st card arrives

Granted its not speedy but chill out, ordering the 2nd card was a bit pointless. You have to give these things time, you were unlucky victim of broken ATM, such is life. Seems that everything after 30th aug is your own doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Savman wrote:
    30th Aug - ordered card
    12 sept - ordered 2nd card
    15 sept - 1st card arrives

Granted its not speedy but chill out, ordering the 2nd card was a bit pointless. You have to give these things time, you were unlucky victim of broken ATM, such is life. Seems that everything after 30th aug is your own doing...
    My own doing eh? Because I don't receive a card and ring up to find out what the story is, and THEY tell me I have to order another card, it's my fault that the 1st card takes twice the amount of time it's supposed to, and the 2nd card MUST be reordered because of a printing problem with the PIN... my own doing..

Cheers for the useless post Savman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

make sure you cancel one of them anyway, you get charged €20 for each one. Trust me, I know ;)

Cheers, that was one of the questions I asked today alright, he said I wouldn't be charged for any of the cards. That 20 Euro is an annual government levy as far as I know, as far as I know you should only get charged that once a year, no matter how many cards you have to get (of the same type that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

WHoever the f*** is responsible for the ATM should have someone on call to come and retrieve the card for you (as log as you have ID or whatever to prove you're the same person as the name on the card)...

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote:
    WHoever the f*** is responsible for the ATM should have someone on call to come and retrieve the card for you (as log as you have ID or whatever to prove you're the same person as the name on the card)...
    Yea I thought that initially at the time, but the security implications would be too high - they have to open the machine to get the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i feel for you,
    i had a similar issue with my credit card a while back.
    this "batch of cards delayed" thing seems a bit suspect as i have had that excuse for 3 different delayed cards over the past 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

joker77 wrote:
    Cheers, that was one of the questions I asked today alright, he said I wouldn't be charged for any of the cards. That 20 Euro is an annual government levy as far as I know, as far as I know you should only get charged that once a year, no matter how many cards you have to get (of the same type that is).

thats what I thought as well, but I was told (and charged) per card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

don't put all your eggs in one basket

open an account in another bank and carry that ATM card around in you wallet too

(you can transfer the required funds between the two at your convenience using online banking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yes, exactly! Had my purse stolen before and you only have to learn this lesson once! I now have two accounts with a decent amount of money in each and keep one of the atm cards at home in case i get robbed etc. It's nice to know i won't be left penniless if the worst happens. However sod's law governs things like this...i once got a lot of new cards at the same time and couldn't rem all the PINs (didn't know at the time you could change them) and carried my credit card PIN in my wallet for 2 days (out of my entire life!) and of course one of those days it was stolen and i was stung for 100 quid before i cancelled it. My own stupid fault anyhow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement