Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile home - living on site?

Options
  • 22-09-2006 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

Hope i'm posting this in the right place.

Hoping to build in the next couple of months and already at loggerheads with my boyfriend. I think the only way to go is get a mobile and live on site. Boyfriend on the other hand wants to move back in with mammy. He has come up loads of excuses why we won’t be able to live on site. If anyone could help with the following: -

1. Electricity – temporary supply is very expensive (we can’t tap off anyone around us)
    2. How do we manage sewage?
    3. Water supply?
    4. Heating?

Is any self builders living on site and how do you find it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 scoobynutta22b

edengarden wrote:
    Hi

Hope i'm posting this in the right place.

Hoping to build in the next couple of months and already at loggerheads with my boyfriend. I think the only way to go is get a mobile and live on site. Boyfriend on the other hand wants to move back in with mammy. He has come up loads of excuses why we won’t be able to live on site. If anyone could help with the following: -

1. Electricity – temporary supply is very expensive (we can’t tap off anyone around us)
    2. How do we manage sewage?
    3. Water supply?
    4. Heating?

Is any self builders living on site and how do you find it
    You forgot
    5. planning permission.

As I understand it, if you plan to live on site in a mobile, you'll have to ask for planning permission.

Regarding the services you mention, is there no way of getting these in place before the build starts?

Heating, I'd imagine can be provided by gas cylinders or perhaps a solid fuel burning stove. Are you in the middle of nowhere or fairly near where these services are already being provided?

Electricity can be provided from other avenues apart from the grid, like generators, wind turbines, solar panels etc. Look on Ebay for these alternatives, I believe you can get small turbines etc.

More importantly, how far is his mums house from where you propose to build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We are extending our bungalow at the moment and are still living in the existing house. You wouldn't believe the bloody mess outside the front door. Even getting from the hall door to the car means tramping through several inches of mud and cement. Trying to navigate a car around blocks, cement, machinery etc is also a pain. If we could afford it, we'd have rented a place for 6 months and not gone near the house until it was finished.

Your boyfriend has the right idea - who wants to be living in a caravan in the middle of winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

don't even think about it, you'll be in fear of your life when it gets stormy
    they are also will drop from 20c to 5c in about an hour when you turn the heating off on a cold night

rent a house @ about 10,000 for the year - you'll both be dead for long enough

if boyfriend really wants to move in with his mammy and you don't then simply find another boyfriend, their are loads of them out on saturday nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

Living on a building site would be hell in my opinion having just lived through an extension here. The dirt, noise, lack of respect for privacy by builders, its very depressing to look out on such a messy sight every day etc. - I just think it'd be awful.

Living in a caravan... been in one now for fourteen months.;)

We had all the services laid on site in advance of siting the caravan.

I started building the house first, this was so I could lay out the site, caravan planned in right from the start.

BTW you don't need planning permission for a "site hut"

Then had the septic tank installed and enough sewer pipe laid to service the caravan, the esb connected up to a "site supply" in the meter box on the side of the house I then ran cables from this to the caravan.

Water was also connected.

We moved into the caravan last summer, survived one winter, we were the only people around who didn't catch any colds .....:confused:

Survival tips:-

1, get the biggest one you can afford, dont even contemplate a touring caravan.
    2, buy a large shed and site this next to the caravan, put the washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer etc in here as well as using it for storage.
    3, use the large 1m high gas cylinders and always have two available.
    4, put the caravan in front of the house and lay a path and driveway.
    5, use insulation sheets on the windows in the winter.
    6, put a "skirt" of hardboard around the base of the caravan to stop the wind chilling the floor ( I still need to do this one myself).
    7, buy an electric blanket, you'll need it;)

just remember that the €?000 you spend on the caravan will pay the rent for only a few months, a year at most, and you will get back the majority of it when you sell the caravan on afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Very well put: dolanbaker, you are only missing the TV and the broadband, and a bed in the shed for the bf's ma.

ircoha wrote:
    Very well put: dolanbaker, you are only missing the TV and the broadband, and a bed in the shed for the bf's ma.

I have both,:D

Sky dish on the towbar and wireless BB on the gable end of the house feeding into the caravan,

the sheds big enough for a bed, bit chilly at nights though...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

Ha thanks guys!

Advertisement