Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf TDI Insurance Question

Options
  • 22-09-2006 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I rang my insurers the other day to ask about insurance on a Golf TDI and they came back with a very reasonable quote.
    The problem I have is, there are several engines you can get that are all Golf TDI's from 90BHP up to 150BHP. Do they all fall under the same insurance bracket?
    What's the story here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It depends on the insurance company. Some of them insure them as all the same and others you have to specify if its a TDI 90, TDI 110 etc... Who did you phone up? Most would ask for the BHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I phoned my broker and just said it was a "Golf TDI". I've never been asked for BHP by them for any car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

As far as I'm aware the 130 & 150bhp versions are "GT TDI"s .. otherwise as far as the insurance company goes you're driving the wrong car and not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Enygma wrote:
    I rang my insurers the other day to ask about insurance on a Golf TDI and they came back with a very reasonable quote.
    The problem I have is, there are several engines you can get that are all Golf TDI's from 90BHP up to 150BHP. Do they all fall under the same insurance bracket?
    What's the story here?

Ask your insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Kali wrote:
    As far as I'm aware the 130 & 150bhp versions are "GT TDI"s .. otherwise as far as the insurance company goes you're driving the wrong car and not covered.

They never sold the golf in ireland badged as GT TDI. It was just red letters. the GT was only in the uk and came with GTI spec body kit and interior

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Which model are you trying to insure OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I rang and asked about a GT TDI and it was only a little bit extra over a regular TDI (whatever that is...) didn't seem to make much of a difference. I would have thought the the letters G and T would turn their eyes into dollar signs.

I've been looking at a few UK imports that dealers over here are selling. In particular I'm looking for a 130bhp TDI, preferably a GT spec. And silver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Enygma wrote:
    I rang and asked about a GT TDI and it was only a little bit extra over a regular TDI (whatever that is...) didn't seem to make much of a difference. I would have thought the the letters G and T would turn their eyes into dollar signs.

No insurer will insure you without knowing the precise variant. However the variant may not affect the price. I know in my case, it cost the same to insure a 90bhp and 115bhp version of the same engine.

Advertisement