Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Balloon Loan Experiences?

Options
  • 22-09-2006 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I went on www.mortgages-for-less.com and learned about all the mortgage options available to me. I had never heard of a balloon loan before. I guess that is a good choice for smaller loans and if you’re going to get a lump sum in the future. Anyone have any personal experiences to share with this type of loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are in Ireland?

In general, I wouldn't expect this to happen in Ireland, at least not for a term longer than a year or two. Even in the US it is going to happen a lot less now, because interest rates have increased so much. At the very least you are expected to be paying off the interest in Ireland.

There is one case where a loan is available like this; it is where you are over 40 and do not have full pension provision. Rather than paying off your mortgage you make contributions to a pension fund and this amount is used to pay off your mortgage at the end of the mortgage term when your pension matures. (This makes sense for tax reasons). However, you have to keep making the pension contributions or else the bank will foreclose.

Would be happy to be contradicted on any of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Advertisement