Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ports for streaming media

Options
  • 22-09-2006 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Moved into college accommodation. Can't seem to find what port I need to open to listen to streaming media (radio on winamp or media player).

does anyone by any chance know what port I need to open.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

im having a similar problem Im trying to watch the ryder cup online (only 7.50 for the four days from skysports.com) but my internet explorer wont play streaming videos at the moment. If anybody here mite know why its doin this or have a suggestion id be greatfull thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to net/comms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

While we are at it. Anyone know how I can view some workgroups on the uni network (in the same building) but not others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

damnyanks wrote:
    Howdy,

Moved into college accommodation. Can't seem to find what port I need to open to listen to streaming media (radio on winamp or media player).

does anyone by any chance know what port I need to open.
    You don't normally need to open any ports to listen to streaming media. The client opens a connection to the server, and the stream comes back as a response, in much the same way that a web page come back as a response to a request from a web browser.

It's quite likely that any restrictions on a college network are imposed at the perimeter firewall, and you won't have any control over them. You need to ask locally to find out how the things are being run.

Yes I understand that its the colleges firewall blocking it. You can make 10 requests for ports to be opened for whatever reason as long as its not illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

damnyanks wrote:
    Yes I understand that its the colleges firewall blocking it. You can make 10 requests for ports to be opened for whatever reason as long as its not illegal.

The main streaming protocols used are:
    # MMS port 1755.
    # RTSP port 554.
    # PNM port 7070

If you have a laptop, and can bring it to somewhere that has an "open" network, you can see what ports are being used by opening a command prompt and using the NETSTAT command while your stream is working.

thanks

Advertisement