Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting BT broadband

• 22-09-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey,
    Can anyone tell me what the process of ordering bt broadband involves?

I ordered BT broadband the other week (self install option) and after the initial "processing order" email, I've heard nothing back from BT. I've checked the status online which says my broadband is active, but when I tried to connect with my dsl router (Netgear dg834) the dsl light won't come on. Have tried ringing and emailing BT but I'm getting more interaction with the wall.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you have broadband on the line already from one of the other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

I recently moved into the house and had the line reactivated (with Eircom). Not sure if the previous owner had broadband but I didn't have it with anyone else before ordering BT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

unless everything goes smoothly with your initial installation you may be in for a rough ride.
    I have been trying to get BT broadband in my house for an age. I first ordered it back in March. That’s 7 months people.

I had planned to put up a post here to get some coverage for the problem... but haven’t gotten around to it.

My last interaction with BT was a threatening letter (lawyers will be getting involved soon) and although I did get a response apologizing profusely and promising someone from the complaints department would be in touch in 24hrs..... haven’t heard anything since then (3 days ago)

Off point...just found an interesting site:
    http://www.btireland-sucks.com/
    I particularly like the letters

On point... should I expect to hear back from BT at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

miles teg wrote:
    Hey,
    Can anyone tell me what the process of ordering bt broadband involves?

I ordered BT broadband the other week (self install option) and after the initial "processing order" email, I've heard nothing back from BT. I've checked the status online which says my broadband is active, but when I tried to connect with my dsl router (Netgear dg834) the dsl light won't come on. Have tried ringing and emailing BT but I'm getting more interaction with the wall.
    Have you configured the Netgear with the correct settings?

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Have you submitted your question through http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, Had those setting alright. I've set up routers loads of times so am fairly confident it's not a problem in setup
    Also submitted question

My main question was what's involved in the process of ordering bt broadband? Should I get a confirmation from bt that my account is active or at least some info about connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

last month for my folks.

Once I had all the rig-marole over the phone out of the way, It was pretty straightforward. I chose the self-install option

Router was delivered and once it was hooked up and I disabled the dial up, I was away. It detected the asdl line immediately.Then I had to enter the login and password and I was away.

(this was the first time broadband was activated on this line btw)

quad_red wrote:
    last month for my folks.

Once I had all the rig-marole over the phone out of the way, It was pretty straightforward. I chose the self-install option

Router was delivered and once it was hooked up and I disabled the dial up, I was away. It detected the asdl line immediately.Then I had to enter the login and password and I was away.

(this was the first time broadband was activated on this line btw)

good for you quad_red but you didn't really answer my question. Did BT send you any info apart from the "processing order" email? Did they provide info with the router? (I'm using my own)

miles teg wrote:
    good for you quad_red but you didn't really answer my question. Did BT send you any info apart from the "processing order" email? Did they provide info with the router? (I'm using my own)

Sorry dude, wasn't bragging - just saying what happened!

I ordered it over the phone - had to go through the whole independant verification malarkey (whilst pretending to be my dad. The thought of having to order something like that makes him perspire). So I chose a login and a password.

BT told me that they would send out the modem and that it would take approx 12 days to enable the phone line for broadband.

I live in Dublin so it was 3 weeks before I got a chance to go South. When I did, I found the modem box had been recieved. I hooked it up by the computer using a network cable (it's got USB connectivity as well but on the advise of the wise men of the forum I just used the network cable). I made sure to fit the included 'z-box' splitters. I didn't have to change any settings in XP except to disable the dial up connection and restart.

On starting firefox I was brought to a BT installation screen. A message indicated that a asdl line had been successfully detect and I was prompted to enter the login and password I chose over the phone when I ordered.

NO go. Invalid password/username

So I had to call BT the next day for them to activate the login and password (despite telling me that they were already enabled before). And then all was well.

miles teg wrote:
    Yeah, Had those setting alright. I've set up routers loads of times so am fairly confident it's not a problem in setup
    Also submitted question

My main question was what's involved in the process of ordering bt broadband? Should I get a confirmation from bt that my account is active or at least some info about connection?
    Short answer, no. The first indication is the postman knocking on your door with the modem. If you didn't order a modem (using your own) or it's dragging on a bit, ring them. Call sales though and you'll get through quicker.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Short answer, no. The first indication is the postman knocking on your door with the modem. If you didn't order a modem (using your own) or it's dragging on a bit, ring them. Call sales though and you'll get through quicker.

I didn't order a modem so I guess I won't get getting any more info. Tried ringing sales and I just got transferred back to technical support which don't answer. Was waiting for about 40 minutes and then got put through to voice mail. Feel like a rat in a maze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I just got online with bt broadband yesterday. I wont go through all the hassle I had but after sending a complaint to bt by email I ended up getting a text sent to my mobile informing me my bt broadband was active and gave me my user name and password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

is this a bad time to mention i work for bt ireland?
    Call sales though and you'll get through quicker.

i work in sales, sure youll get through quicker, but all were gonna do is transfer you to the proper dept giving you a longer wait.. if people are nice and want customer care i put them to top of queue, if they are ar*e holes i throw them through normal number, moaning the face of me gets you nowhere.

On the upside, feel free to fire any questions or abuse my way, im kinda used to it by this stage and can usually explain most things that you want to know.

I'll get started on this thread after my smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

miles teg wrote:

when we put an order to accepted on system a automatically generated letter confirming that your broadband order is in place or whatever type of order you made is sent by mail to your door, ive had some complaints that sometimes it never reached there, not entirely sure why personally.. I just know how the system works and that the letter is automatically generated through our system once its set to the status i mentioned before telling you the lead time on when to expect it..

anytime up to when the broadband is delivered there will generally be no further correspondance up until the time it is live. This leads to problems generally because if theres small delays people get annoyed (as i would) that they receive no correspondence. But looking at the numbers of troubled orders versus our sales ratio per month it isnt actually to bad really when you have the true figures.

I didnt realise you get a processing order email, i thought it was just automatically generated to your postal address provided and the only time it was emailed and txt messaged to you was when the order was complete and the dsl was active.
    I didn't order a modem so I guess I won't get getting any more info. Tried ringing sales and I just got transferred back to technical support which don't answer. Was waiting for about 40 minutes and then got put through to voice mail. Feel like a rat in a maze.

we (sales) only deal with orders upto the order completion, if your order is complete on our system and your dsl is showing as active on our 2 seperate systems then theres not much we can do really, which im guessing is the reason you got transferred to tech supp. I am guessing this is so, i cant 100% confirm it as i cant see your account basically..

Tech just hired half a floor worth of staff due to the shi*e service it is providing at the moment who are in the midst of training. i had the misfortune of having to call them myself, and even using the priority number i sat on hold for just over 50 minutes which is a joke really.. Really i should have just did what i needed to do while in work but forgot and phoned when i got home but anyhow.

Big Chief wrote:
    is this a bad time to mention i work for bt ireland?
    I don't think there is ever a good time to mention that.:p :D

Fair play for announcing yourself. I have to say I'm with BT for over a year and never had a problem with billing or service but the delays in getting through to tech support in the last while is a bit rediculous. I mentioned ringing sales for the reason you mentioned, talk nicely and get bumped up the queue. I've done it myself a few times but, off late, it doesn't seem to make much difference.
    I recommend set up BT BB for alot of my customers and the biggest reason I have for ringing tech support relate to username and password issues. Most don't know/forget/weren't asked about them. If they were included in the welcome letter or an email it would make things alot simpler and probably reduce the support calls. That priority number would be handy ;).

Also, with Eircom reducing the wholesale prices have BT any new prices/packages in the offing that you might know about? PM if you like.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

When I signed up back in February I never received a letter from BT confirming my order etc. In fact they lost my form three times so maybe this is what happened to the OP.

They also forgot to transfer my line rental. They also charged me an install fee even though I was transferring and supplying my own modem so OP keep an eye on that as well.

Thanks to Big Chief for the info. If only they were all like you...
    Anyway, happy to say that the broadband is finally working. I didn't particularly do anything but on Saturday the dsl light on the router came on (it had been plugged in for the last 3 days!). The only thing I can think of is a delayed activation be BT.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Have you tried to enter the web interface of your modem ?

http://192.168.1.1

stanley1 wrote:
    Have you tried to enter the web interface of your modem ?

http://192.168.1.1

em... thanks for the help but I've got it working (see 2 posts up). The web interface always worked fine ( i think its http://192.168.0.1 though)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 C.J.

Hi all,

I have two really annoying issues with BT broadband and I wanted to know if anyone is having them.

PROBLEM #1:

Does anyone else have issues with some websites being very very slow to load under BT? So slow that even though some of the page loads the rest crawls and sometimes gets reset?

I am an IT professional and getting the guys in BT tech support (after waiting 50 mins to get through) to admit there is a problem is impossible. Since I can browse instantly to say, www.bbc.co.uk or www.guardian.co.uk these problems can't be at my end, it has to be with the ISP. Perhaps there is a slow router or something.

Also these sites actually came up fine for me before last Wednesday (only got BB setup on Tuesday), so the problem is occuring for me since then.

Two sites that I can't get through to are www.komplett.ie and www.sportsinteraction.com. Can other BT users here try and hit these sites to see if it's just me please?

PROBLEM #2:

Does anyone have an issue when browsing to the wireless router admin screen (192.168.1.1) and the menu on the left hand side does not appear? I get the general status screen appearing, but no list of expected options on the left hand side, just a little icon of the wireless router. Therefore I can't config my router and secure it. I have tried with both IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.5. My screen res is just fine, i'm working on a laptop so it's just bog standard :)

Any and all replies or suggestions are very much welcome, I need this stuff for work!!

Cheers,
    Ciaran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Can you tell me what modem they supplied and what connections it has, eg usb or ethernet.

stanley1 wrote:
    Can you tell me what modem they supplied and what connections it has, eg usb or ethernet.

with both usb and ethernet ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 C.J.

stanley1 wrote:

It's a Zyxel P-660 and i'm connecting wirelessly.

Update: I just got through to tech support there (40 min wait) and they guy was pretty helpful. He asked me to try speedtest.ie and see if there was any packet loss etc. which I will when I get home.

Also he explained that for my 2nd issue there is actually a 'expert' mode button which I may have missed. I can't believe I missed something that obvious, but if I did i'll eat humble pie :p

Ciaran

quad_red wrote:
    with both usb and ethernet ports.
    The wireless model is ethernet only. The standard wired one is both USB and ethernet.

C.J. wrote:
    Also he explained that for my 2nd issue there is actually a 'expert' mode button which I may have missed. I can't believe I missed something that obvious, but if I did i'll eat humble pie :p

Ciaran
    Remember now, thats only for experts.:p

Advertisement