Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem uninstalling mcafee-help please

• 22-09-2006 1:21pm

It wont uninstall from windows xp's install/uninstall menu.The request just hangs.

The auto update feature is going constantly even though I've disabled mcAfee.

Could someone point me to a method or alternatively a fool proof downloadable tool that will rid me of this awfull resource hog from the main pc.

I'm back to using Avg and I might consider using norton as the 3 months trial on the lappy has given me a high opinion of it-its so inobtrusive.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did you try uninstalling it in safe mode?

Thanks will try.
    Remind me again how I go into safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

When machine is booting up tap the F8 key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

...used to support mcafee, what version of VirusScan are you using, home edition/corp/managed?

Its a home edition I'd say with personal firewall plus etc

I'll try the safe mode now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ughhh McAffee, the tool of the diabhal!:) Just use AVG, Anti-Vir or avast! for anti-virus and Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal firewall (still available version 5.6 and works grand) for your firewall. Safe mode should do the trick alright.

Thanks Ruu

Safe mode didnt work as the same problem arose.
    The fcekin "application installer" starts up when you try to uninstall.
    It's what does the auto updating.

The person that wrote mcafee is no daw.
    Getting rid isnt that simple :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You could try disabling all McAfee services and then uninstalling. Start->Run->services.msc in the box and right click on each McAfee service, properties, then Stop (if started) and Disable it. Reboot and then try the uninstall.

The problem is that auto update thing,its like a rabid dog with rabies.
    I have to get rid of that first as whatever it is, its stopping windows of uninstalling mcafee.
    It's in the registery somewhere.
    there seems to be no obvious way to delete it...

\o/

I got rid of the bastid mcafee by using this miracle programme :)

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/PC-De-Crapifier-Download-47564.html#download_locations

It's called the decrapifier and its freeware :)

• Advertisement

Crap that didnt do it.

That just removes it from your tray...

I'm convinced mcafee is a virus because theres no way to remove it.
    Not from this machine anyway.

Add/remove just crashes when I try to uninstall it and a blank white box bordered in red comes up called the mcafee installer that you cant close unless you do a ctrl alt del

What a load of poop

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Start/Run/regedit
    then navigate to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run and in the right Pane delete the Mcafee entries then disable any Services that run mcafee software, then restart pc and try add/remove again

21/25

I did that unfortunately and that screen still comes up and hangs the uninstall

The screen is blank and is called mcafee installer on the top.

I am considering trying shaking rat poison on the hard drive now :rolleyes:

Check the startup folder, then the autoexec, win.ini & system.ini files for entries for McAfee, failing that haven't a clue

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

uch wrote:
    Check the startup folder, then the autoexec, win.ini & system.ini files for entries for McAfee, failing that haven't a clue
    That would cover some of the places on Windows on Dos

Have a look at autoruns on www.sysinternals.com, remember there is another startup group in all users and services to worry about too and it shows LOADS of other places that have to be looked at too

For windows NT/2k/xp it's autoexec.NT that can load stuff for the command prompt but not on startup IIRC

For win 3.x on DOS :p
    check win.bat - if it's in the path it would get run before win.com and you could have a line like win.com nasty.exe in it, you could also load apps in config.sys

That would cover some of the places on Windows on Dos

For windows NT/2k/xp it's autoexec.NT that can load stuff for the command prompt but not on startup IIRC

It's Autoexec.bat on the C: of my XPSP2 machine and all others on our Lan, and windows os still backwards compatible with it.
    Don't forget it's a hidden file

21/25

Advertisement