Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGS: Tonnes of new PS3 media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

every time i got a new playstation i get the latest f1 game. christ that looks incredible!

anyway, is it just me or as time flies by, i get less and less impressed by warhawk? it's a cool concept, but from the intitial showing in 2005, it just hasn't really progressed the same way the likes of resistence has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

every time i got a new playstation i get the latest f1 game. christ that looks incredible!

You're telling me. It's amazing how much it has improved since E3. You should check out the IGN vids - Gamespot has one too:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/f1/download_ini.html?sid=6158285&id=6158285&mode=gameplay

Damn near photorealistic. There's hands-on impressions at Gamespot too, they reckon it might be the F1 game to catch America's interest, thanks to the visuals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A big 'meh' from me.

They look pretty but nothing spectacular except maybe MGS4 and even I'm not as blown away as when I saw The MGS2 trailer. Nothing a decent PC or 360 couldn't handle.

Even DMC4, which I am excited about, looks like a prettier update of DMC3.

Also those trees in Ridge Racer 4 are a disgrace. We have had and surpassed trees made out of 2 crisscrossing polygons. Sure I remember seeing them in Daytona USA and thinking they looked crap.

LookingFor wrote:
    You're telling me. It's amazing how much it has improved since E3. You should check out the IGN vids - Gamespot has one too:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/f1/download_ini.html?sid=6158285&id=6158285&mode=gameplay

Damn near photorealistic. There's hands-on impressions at Gamespot too, they reckon it might be the F1 game to catch America's interest, thanks to the visuals.

a mate is sending me a full HD trailer now. apparently the rain is something to be marveled at.

it could be the best f1 game since f1 1997 (i still have fond memories!) ;)

Retr0gamer wrote:
    A big 'meh' from me.

They look pretty but nothing spectacular except maybe MGS4 and even I'm not as blown away as when I saw The MGS2 trailer. Nothing a decent PC or 360 couldn't handle.

Even DMC4, which I am excited about, looks like a prettier update of DMC3.

Also those trees in Ridge Racer 4 are a disgrace. We have had and surpassed trees made out of 2 crisscrossing polygons. Sure I remember seeing them in Daytona USA and thinking they looked crap.

RR in motion is quite fantastic. You should watch some of the movies if you haven't. And this isn't a "ooh I bet another machine could do this!" kind of issue..since all this content is exclusive, so it's a moot point. And the consistent level of quality is very impressive IMO, and some of these really are standouts - I've not seen anything quite like some of these games on any other system to date. I recommend closer looks at F1, DMC4 and Motorstorm in particular.

I haven't even posted every game being shown..but I'll just say you're a very hard man to impress if none of this stuff holds any appeal for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Resistance: Fall of Man's screenshot looks much more impressive then some of its earlier ones, GT5 looks very nice indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fatal Inertia tickles my fancy.

But enough of the wipeout clones...where's the real wipeout?
    Also like the look of GT5....but if it's still the damageless track procession it has been in the past then it doesn't really matter how pretty it looks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just watched the ridge racer/devil may cry movies...

hmm

I was inpressed by the turbo boost effect in ridge racer...but nothing else. both graphically and gameplay wise (from what I can see) It doesnt appeal to me showing something new. Hell I might even go as far as to say it seems to be a step back from the arcade racers like burnout revenge and outrun 2.

Devil may cry, looks pretty, but its the exact same gameplay...Was hoping for something new. Esp seeing it is Capcom who is the only company at the moment who is showing what the xbox360 can really do. So I still have some hopes this will surprise me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry LookingFor but they just aren't interesting me. What we have there is a load of generic racing games, a generic FPS, and action game from an unproven team, DMC 4 which is supposed to play just like DMC3, and warhawk which looks like it plays awfully on the motion sensing controller. They all look very pretty, although I still think RR7 looks a bit naff, but there really isn't anything new there.

There is nothing new there in gameplay terms, something that shows us how far we can push the boundaries with the new technology. It's just same-old-same-old except shinier, prettier and in HD-o-vision. The Xbox 360 may not be the most impressive console ever but stuff like Oblivion and Dead Rising have really offered something new.

Of course I've left out MGS4 which could well be mightily impressive. You can always count on kojima for pushing harware and adding to stale genres.

I'm disappointed that nothing new was shown at TGS.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    a generic FPS

Stylistically Resistance may appear 'generic', but people who've gone hands-on with it recently have been glowing about it, and say it gets far more original beyond the WWII-ish facade once you get into it. In fact, the buzz currently is that it's easily shaping up to be the best FPS of the new generation so far.

Anyway, I'll leave you to your thoughts otherwise :p Here's a few other games showing at TGS I've been reading up on:

Unknown Realms

930085_20060921_screen001.jpg

More (Hands-on Impressions): http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/monstercarnival/news.html?sid=6158159&q=Unknown%20Realms

Afrika

932983_20060921_screen001.jpg

More: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/afrika/screenindex.html?sid=6158175&tag=gumballs;img;1

(This apparently is a safari game, as it turns out..no idea what you do, but the idea is that it's supposed to give you the experience of a Safari)

Coded Arms Assault

932988_20060921_screen007.jpg

More: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/codedarmsassault/screenindex.html

White Knight (New Level5 RPG)

935684_20060922_screen001.jpg

Video (Quite stunning animation): http://anon.psjp.speedera.net/anon.psjp/tgs06/high/h_whiteknight.wmv

Virtua Fighter 5

932831_20060920_screen003.jpg

Hands-on: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/virtuafighter5/news.html?sid=6158156

And that's my PS3 media summary duties done for the moment :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LookingFor wrote:
    And that's my PS3 media summary duties done for the moment :p

Well said. Seriously though, how much are Sony paying you again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

how many screenshots of gameplay is there? an amazing looking cutscene aint gonna make the game any better. They may as well record live f1 footage and put it in the game for all the use it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

VF5 looks like a game others cheap asses FF movies.

Will sony ever learn? Will fanboys ever play games?

kdjac

Well said. Seriously though, how much are Sony paying you again?

Lol, a free PS3 would do it :p Please? Sony, you there?

I'm just very impressed with the stuff I'm seeing. I guess I'm not allowed to gush?

Every shot here is realtime, by the way, for those wondering above.

LookingFor wrote:

Every shot here is realtime, by the way, for those wondering above.

Oh come on, only fools fall for that ****, its rendered and then you play it and forget the rendered footage you seen.

If no PC can draw that (ie mine strokes SLI 7800s) no way in hell a ps3 can with a qtr of the power.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Oh come on, only fools fall for that ****, its rendered and then you play it and forget the rendered footage you seen.

If no PC can draw that (ie mine strokes SLI 7800s) no way in hell a ps3 can with a qtr of the power.

kdjac

What game you wondering about in particular? There's plenty of video of people actually playing the games at TGS.

For the people wondering about it earlier, there's an awesome video/interview for Resistance here:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/media.html

First video there, interview number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Kilzone 2 anyone?

:p

On the off chance the graphics are as good as the vids, pitty the gameplay will be ****e :D

theres a video of people playing bf2 before it came out, stunning isnt the word for it.

It looks nothing like the prerelease video.

kdjac

Kilzone 2 anyone?

:p

On the off chance the graphics are as good as the vids, pitty the gameplay will be ****e :D

Everything said by people who've played the game says otherwise. And I mean everything. There's been a bunch of previews, and they're all in agreement on that. It sounds pretty killer, if you wanna read up on it.
    KdjaCL wrote:
    It looks nothing like the prerelease video.

Resistance, or BF2? Resistance looks miles better than it did when it was first shown.

LookingFor wrote:

Resistance, or BF2? Resistance looks miles better than it did when it was first shown.

Have you got Sony underpants on? With Sony bedset and sony magazine and at night you read it with your sony torch?

I cant believe anyone believes prerelease anything from anyone trying to sell you something. Not one game there makes me want to buy a ps3 maybe MGS otherwise meh.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The 1up show from TGS - http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/092206.mp3

Lots of hands on impressions

KdjaCL wrote:
    Have you got Sony underpants on? With Sony bedset and sony magazine and at night you read it with your sony torch?

I cant believe anyone believes prerelease anything from anyone trying to sell you something. Not one game there makes me want to buy a ps3 maybe MGS otherwise meh.

kdjac

Well we'll see who's right when the games come out then, I guess!

These games are being played by people right now. The dude in that video was playing the game right there - what more do you want? I guess they're all just under some Sony magic! And anyone saying anything good must be wearing sony underpants, and taking money from Sony :rolleyes: Maybe, just maybe, the game is actually shaping up as well as the press is saying.

Sorry if I'm not an eternal cynic - I can't believe you have to apologise for getting excited about games that look and sound good!

KdjaCL wrote:

where would i acquire these pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gran Turismo looks amazing, considerably better than F1 does IMO..

As for all the 1080p crap, why are no imagines/video being released in their native format?

As for all the 1080p crap, why are no imagines/video being released in their native format?

probably the lack of people with 1080p monitors. no point in using up server space if it's not going to be used. afaik the HD trailers on gamespot are 720p though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/21/playstation-3-packaging-spotted-in-the-wild/

some media but off topic, did sony plan on equipping 20 gb version with hdmi for awhile now as they would have to re write specs on all the seemingly finished packaging in the pics

shortys94 wrote:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/21/playstation-3-packaging-spotted-in-the-wild/

some media but off topic, did sony plan on equipping 20 gb version with hdmi for awhile now as they would have to re write specs on all the seemingly finished packaging in the pics

wouldn't worry about the packaging. i recall the xbox360 pre-release boxes being different to the packages you got when you bought the thing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ciaran500 wrote:

holy f*ck they ripped sony apart.

actually quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

probably the lack of people with 1080p monitors. no point in using up server space if it's not going to be used. afaik the HD trailers on gamespot are 720p though

Hmmm I don't buy this to be honest. They are releasing 1080p games before this coming Christmas and Sony themselves are pushing 1080p as real HD. They were meant to release this console 6 and 12 months ago.

Even if they are not showing video, why not 1920x1080 res pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Ciaran500 wrote:

y'know if these guys initial impressions of the games actually pan out when the console is released it'll be a huge dissapointment to a lot of people, having said that tho they are talking about a bunch of games that are either early releases or are still in the development stage, so to rip into them like that is more a symptom of sonys habit of promising all sorts of marvels and then delivering on half of them.

Advertisement