Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGS: Tonnes of new PS3 media

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    holy f*ck they ripped sony apart.

actually quite funny.

i'm subscribed to 1up yours. usually the best informed of the games podcasts. they also constantly rip on whoever's down (so, this year has been the year of sony :)), particularly microsoft slut extrodinaire Luke Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

yeh well you're always gonna get the fanboys, it was quite a funny little slot tho, and i agree with a lot of what they said on how sony is actually handling the run up to the ps3 launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Even if they are not showing video, why not 1920x1080 res pictures?

There are some out there, but lots of sites resize them. E.g. here's the 1080p version of that GT:HD shot I posted earlier:

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/ve3d/image/article/734/734351/gran-turismo-hd-ps3-screenshots-20060922010631205.jpg

There are 1080p shots of MGS4 out there too, like these:

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3528_en.html

But I believe it's running at 720p at the moment, but the aim is to have it run at 1080p when it's released.

As for the 1up podcast, they talk about maybe 3 games total. It was recorded shortly after the keynote, and they were rightfully consumed by their disappointment coming out of that (though Luke Smith was driving it, and everyone seemed to just fall in line). According to a couple of 1up editors we can expect a different tone to their next podcast(s) given what they've seen since, or specifically, what the editors who went to the Sony event afterwards saw. There's plenty of hands-on impressions out there and judging by those, it seems the games did the talking beyond the keynote's disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmm I prefer looking at the 720p image of Gran Turismo.. Besides for the car and mountain in the backdrop, it looks very very ordinary imo. And yes, I have a decent monitor that is more than capable of showing the image full screen before anyone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

eurogamer wrote:
    All in all, although there's nothing amazingly new about Resistance that we can't say we've seen in numerous other shooters, it manages to tick all the right boxes and impress in every area that counts. Just like the Ratchet games, they might not look amazing during the chaos of events like TGS, but you can be sure that Insomniac won't let you down once you spend time getting to grips with its intricacies. With an intriguing storyline and premise, technical brilliance and a solid multiplayer component, it's definitely near the top of the pile of PS3 launch titles and one you should check out when the time comes.

Still cant seem to find anyone who can say that anything on the PS3 is revolutionary yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hmm I prefer looking at the 720p image of Gran Turismo.. Besides for the car and mountain in the backdrop, it looks very very ordinary imo. And yes, I have a decent monitor that is more than capable of showing the image full screen before anyone asks.
    yeah, the road is pretty nice too, but there is definitely a few niggly bits that could be improved. The draw distance of the grass is pretty low, and it fades into a pretty cheap texture. The wing mirror also seems to be completely black, and the alloys are fairly dull. The trees aren't exactly stunning either.

They fortunately have plenty of time to sort it out though

never noticed but comic book guy *does* look like a blowfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

hwo much is the 360 and hd dvd player?
    PS3 sounds more appealing to me these days, especially with the possibility of a price drop in europe on the 20 gb model

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

shortys94 wrote:
    hwo much is the 360 and hd dvd player?
    About €570 IIRC
    shortys94 wrote:
    PS3 sounds more appealing to me these days, especially with the possibility of a price drop in europe on the 20 gb model
    Don't hold your breath.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Still cant seem to find anyone who can say that anything on the PS3 is revolutionary yet?

Revolutionary games, truly revolutionary games, are rare as hens' teeth.

You'll find plenty of people saying great things about Resistance, though, and many of the other games. But particularly Resistance, it's getting some serious buzz now.

By the way, since someone linked to that Sony keynote podcast earlier as a demonstration of impressions from TGS, here's 1up's TGS special with the more considered thoughts of all the editors who were actually at the show. I think you'll find it leaves a pretty different overall impression:

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462

• Advertisement

uhmmm...

if you mean episode 46. I think you better look at it again.

maybe it's subscriber only?

could be, says its out today... so i'll just wait.

FOUND IT!http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6398

EDIT: Now that I had a chance to look at it. Still a big meh from me.

Also I dont like how anyone who disagrees with how a console is doing is labaled a fanboy of the other (at end of show one of the presenters says the doubters are xbox fanboys who are afriad.) hate to break it to them. But I traded my xbox in for a PS2 and I own both a PSP and a DS. I aint a xbox or a nintendo fanboy and I have doubts. The stuff that is meant to be encouraging doesnt get shown.

The information about online services, they mentioned it at the end and said all these features (wireless linking to PSP etc.) but none of it was shown, only messing with photos and tabbed internet browsing.

They also mention the large number of games on show, yet we see the same ones being thrown at us (the ones listed in the OP) and alot of the criticisms listed in the first podcast werent addressed, some were reinforced, so all in all in my opinion its a poor show from sony so far.

back on topic (sort of)
    Revolutionary games, truly revolutionary games, are rare as hens' teeth.

Yes they are. But when your asking to pay a much higher price for the hardware, you expect revolutionary games to be more common. Alot of people throw around its cheaper then PC argument and here's it back at you. Revolutionary games ARE more common on the PC then on the consoles because the machines have the ability to do more and allow greater diversity. Sure these games might be revolutionary either in very closed off genres (strategy etc) or are simple free downloads but they still are huge leaps in innovation which is rarely seen in the console market.

THe PS3 with all its talk gave the impression that the same innovation and possibilties could be possible on a console, and when you look at the machine hardware wise it looks very possible. But its not being delivered by the developers and the only impression I have got of the same *small time* innovation is that the creator of fl0w is porting it and other games as PS3 downloads (which isnt a huge leap beyond live arcade.)
    You'll find plenty of people saying great things about Resistance, though, and many of the other games. But particularly Resistance, it's getting some serious buzz now.

I like at Resistance, and it looks interesting enough, I like the character animations, but its a game that would justify someone buying a PS3 who already intended to. What about people sitting on the bench and undecisive its not the sort of game that can convert. MGS 4 is, but I need a bit more, cause metal gear isnt forever.

I'm the worst consumer for Sony, I'm a discarded sega fanboy, meaning I know fanboy is full of **** and am highly skeptical of all three companies because all three were the *competition* a number of years back.

shortys94 wrote:
    yeah, the road is pretty nice too, but there is definitely a few niggly bits that could be improved. The draw distance of the grass is pretty low, and it fades into a pretty cheap texture. The wing mirror also seems to be completely black, and the alloys are fairly dull. The trees aren't exactly stunning either.

They fortunately have plenty of time to sort it out though

How much time exactly? When is the game being released?

Blowfish wrote:

It is not gonna happen here.. If anything, the fact that the PS3 is not being launched till March/April here, could mean that MS will drop the price at the same time. There has not been any proper price cuts as of yet and the 360 will have been around for 18 months when the PS3 finally has been released.

on a side note. Which games are actually launch titles? Cause at everyone shown someone always says its not out till 07 or the end of 06.

Am wondering the same thing. I am guessing Virtua Tennis 3 and Virtua Fighter 5 will be around near launch? That Motocross game? Ridge Racer 7? Devil May Cry maybe? I am guessing the normal assortment of EA sports games too?

virtua fighter 5 not till 07 according to 1up.

Same with Devil May Cry.

Vritua Tennis and Ridge Racer 7 and motocross are the only defitnites i think?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    virtua fighter 5 not till 07 according to 1up.

Same with Devil May Cry.

Vritua Tennis and Ridge Racer 7 and motocross are the only defitnites i think?

Depends what territory you're looking at. Virtua Tennis is Spring next year, as is Virtua Fighter 5.

The launch games I know of..well, there's a lot coming in 06. Resistance, Motorstorm, Genji, Formula One Championship Edition, Ridge Racer 7, Sonic The Hedgehog, Fatal Inertia, GT:HD (in Japan at least), Rainbow Six: Vegas, that Gundam game, Armored Core 4 (in Japan), Full Auto 2, F.E.A.R. and a bunch of the usual multiplatform stuff you can expect from EA/Activision/Ubi-soft etc. In total I think I heard somewhere that there's over 30 titles that are candidates for 06, but the schedule isn't finalised yet. I'd say toward the end of October we'll get a final list.

When the PlayStation 3 goes on sale in Japan November 11, six games will definitely be available: Genji: Days of the Blade, Mah-Jong Fight Club Online, Mobile Suit Gundam: Target In Sight, Resistance: Fall of Man, Sega Golfclub featuring the Miyazato Family, and--wait for it--Ridge Racer 7. Sony also confirmed Armored Core 4 would arrive sometime in November.

from gamespot: http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6158288

sonic the hedgehog = multiplatform
    full auto 2 = multiplatform
    FEAR = multiplatform
    Rainbow six = multiplatform.
    Depends what territory you're looking at.

I'm looking at the US and Jap launches, cause the simple truth is if they really f*ck them up there wont be much point waiting for the euro launch.

sort of put off resistence now. i thought it was only half way or so through development and more was going to be add to it, but if its 2 months (less now) from launch, then the videos i'm seeing are it (from TGS) and doesnt seem that big of a deal.

i think resistance looks the bees knees for sure, really interesting looking design and seems like it might have a very distinctive atmosphere, same way half life does, but at the end of the day its an FPS, think i'll hold out for a potential PC port on that one, and besides the only next gen releases i'mreally interested in at the moment are mass effect and bioshock, unfortunately mass effect is out for me since i wont be buying a 360, but bio shock is coming to PC so i'm hoping that that, company of heroes and maybe next year if age of conan proves to be as good as it sounds i'll have plenty to keep me going along with my wii of course:)

• Advertisement

resistence is by the makers of ratchet and clank right?

Isnt that owned by sony now?

not sure on that one, but they seem to make good games, so it's looking good for resistance to be a killer fps, if your suspiscions are correct about them being owned by sony well it may mean it's a ps3 exclusive and will stay that way, ah well i can always play it on the gf's brothers ps3(cos he's absolutley sure to get one:))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomniac_Games

interesting.

All three companies are pretty much sony playstation exclusive. except red dog which has been around since before the playstation (and has had people who were involved in the original sonic series.) explains alot.

But yeah very much doubt this showing up anywhere else but the Ps3.

unless the console flops (unlikely) which would be interesting just to see where all the developers would go?

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    from gamespot: http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/news.html?sid=6158288

sonic the hedgehog = multiplatform
    full auto 2 = multiplatform
    FEAR = multiplatform
    Rainbow six = multiplatform.

For sure, (although FA2 won't be on any other system this year), but I was thinking of all the higher profile games in that list be they multiplatform or not, asides from "the rest" which you can expect to fill out the list.

The Japanese day one list isn't very indicative of what you'll see in the US (or Japan, for that matter) by the end of the year, at all.

By the time the euro launch swings round, you'll have all that stuff + hopefully a few new key games like VF5, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed (multi), Virtua Tennis, first PS3 Eyetoy game, Singstar, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (in Japan at least) + a bunch of other lower profile games. I think they're going to have to stagger those releases for Europe, though, because there'd be too much good stuff all hitting at the same time. But the system is region free, so importing will be very easy if some of these games take longer to arrive here.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Sort of put off resistence now. i thought it was only half way or so through development and more was going to be add to it, but if its 2 months (less now) from launch, then the videos i'm seeing are it (from TGS) and doesnt seem that big of a deal.

They've been working on this game for a long long time now. They haven't shown all their cards, and won't before it launches. Some people who've played the game just before TGS said they saw a lot more that Insomniac is keeping under wraps, most of it even more impressive than what they're allowed to show publically. They've announced a lot regarding multiplayer too, but apparently there are still more multiplayer modes and so on that they're keeping secret for now. It's a very big package, and we're only seeing bits of it. Once reviews hit, you'll see people's takes on the full finished product.

And yeah, technically Insomniac is independent, but they have a very cosy relationship with Sony. Sony is also their publisher on all their games, and owns the IP, so you won't be seeing their games show up on other platforms.

i've read up about resistence, I know about the 5 announced multiplayer modes and the 2 secret ones and all that jazz. I'm just saying that how the game looks and seems to play in the movies I thought it was due another 6 months work there about. But it should in theory be finished by now if it wants to make the deadline. Soo from what I am seeing right now, I'm not really that excited.

I named out those games as multiplatform because when you named them earlier you structured the sentance as '(the above named games) and the multiplatform stuff from so and so etc' which gives the impression that they were PS3 exclusives which they are not.
    But the system is region free, so importing will be very easy if some of these games take longer to arrive here.

you sure its proper region free, and not the cope out region free the x360 and wii have (the console's region free, but publishers can put region encoding on it if they want.)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    you sure its proper region free, and not the cope out region free the x360 and wii have (the console's region free, but publishers can put region encoding on it if they want.)

It seems it's properly region free. We'll see when it launches, but everything that's been said sofar indicates every PS3 game will play on every system regardless of region, but Blu-ray movies will be region-locked. Apparently they're moving that way in light of the PSP and the emergence of global HDTV standards. They even want eventually to move in the direction of having one single release of a game worldwide - one common disc with all languages etc. But that, the global SKU, that's an optional thing for publishers obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    Depends what territory you're looking at. Virtua Tennis is Spring next year, as is Virtua Fighter 5.

The launch games I know of..well, there's a lot coming in 06. Resistance, Motorstorm, Genji, Formula One Championship Edition, Ridge Racer 7, Sonic The Hedgehog, Fatal Inertia, GT:HD (in Japan at least), Rainbow Six: Vegas, that Gundam game, Armored Core 4 (in Japan), Full Auto 2, F.E.A.R. and a bunch of the usual multiplatform stuff you can expect from EA/Activision/Ubi-soft etc. In total I think I heard somewhere that there's over 30 titles that are candidates for 06, but the schedule isn't finalised yet. I'd say toward the end of October we'll get a final list.

it's a good list compared to PS2, or even xbox360 (imo). however us Europeans, despite a horrendous wait for the thing, will have the best launch line-up in history. we'll also get the benefit of reviews for games to see what's good/muck.

i'm hoping the Europe launch neatly slots into the release of UT07 :)
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    resistence is by the makers of ratchet and clank right?

Isnt that owned by sony now?

nah. affiliated, but not owned. at e3 they made a point of saying they're indipendent, and "want" to work on ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How much time exactly? When is the game being released?
    Well the OP labelled the pic as [noparse]HD:premium[/noparse], which is pretty much GT5, which isn't out until 2008.

Thats not premium, its the GT: Classic or whatever you call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The one where you have to buy everything seperate? Gonna be the most expensive game ever if you want a decent selection.

Advertisement