Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

connection to lcd tv. (scart or other????)

• 22-09-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi
    I want to connect a sky box and a dvd player to a lcd 42" tv mounted on my wall. The guy who put the tv on the wall says that you just need a scart lead from the tv going to the sky box and then a short scart lead from sky box to dvd player, so at the moment it is this way.
    I am sure there is a better way to do this. Should I have 2 scart leads coming from tv, one to sky box and one to dvd player.
    Or should I get special cables as I have heard that scarts are not the best way to do it.
    I have a hdmi cable there for the future but thats not any use now as my sky box is not a hd box.(yet!!!)
    Also the way it is set up at the moment, when I watch a dvd the sound isnt very good and I have to whack the volume up full blast, nearly at 100.
    I can also hear sounds from tv coming through when a dvd is playing. he says that is common?????? cant be right.
    any help would be really great.
    Please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

3 options:
    1. if the DVD player has a hdmi output and the TV a hdmi input go with that.
    2. if your DVD had composite outputs and the TV the same then you need the component lead (3 plugs) and audio RCA cable (2 plugs)
    3. just get another scart and go from the DVD to the TV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Also the way it is set up at the moment, when I watch a dvd the sound isnt very good and I have to whack the volume up full blast, nearly at 100.
    I can also hear sounds from tv coming through when a dvd is playing. he says that is common?????? cant be right.

I would not be happy with this, I presume you have spent a nice amount of money and this is not acceptable, TV interferring with DVD playback/visa versa is not common AFAIK and if it was me I'd be looking at repair/replace/refund

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have the same TV you as well so I can give advice on some of your problems.

With regards to the scart sockets, yes you can link more than one unit to the same scart socket as described. I don't see any great disadvantage or gain in this way, although only EXT1 scart is RGB which means you will get a better picture from your DVD player than EXT2.

Component will give you a big advantage in picture quality over regular scart and a only a small advantage over RGB scart. HDMI will probably not be of any great advantage over the other two options as this is really best for a true HD signal.

I can't comment on the volume level while playing DVD's as I use a surround sound system, although I have experienced the sound from the TV while playing a DVD on both this TV and my old CRT TV. Its not an issue for as I just mute the TV with the sound going to the surround sound system. One thing I do know is that the sound will come from the last channel that you were on before you switched to the DVD, so try different channels to get no sound i.e. an untuned channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I would recommend that if you wanted to watch DVDs, you should only use the screen to view the picture. Use an external audio amp and speakers for better clarity and better soundstage.

Is there any setting on your DVD unit to higher the volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

The most cost effective way to get this sorted is to use two scart cables and connect them to your devices. Any other option is going to cost you more money.

Check the options on your dvd player for how it sends audio to the TV. Start with PCM and then try the digital downmixer flavors to see how that sounds to you.

The tv sound coming through when you watch a dvd can only be because you are using the Sky box to send the DVD signal and that is not a good setup in my opinion.

Spark_S is spot on, but again this involves cost from a couple of hundred euro to many thousands depending on how you want to do it.

Post the model of your dvd player, there may be an online manual that we can look at to see how to set it up.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

delly wrote:
    Composite will give you a big advantage in picture quality over regular scart and a only a small advantage over RGB scart. HDMI will probably not be of any great advantage over the other two options as this is really best for a true HD signal.

hmm..did you mean component? composite is about the worst video signal you can get, with the exception of maybe rf.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

mossym wrote:
    hmm..did you mean component? composite is about the worst video signal you can get, with the exception of maybe rf.
    :o Yeah thats the one, I copied the word from flatface's post and picked the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Apologies for jumpimg in but ......... Please help

I have the VERY same problem as MAN1 at the top of the thread. Searching for solution and came upon the thread.

I've just bought the Curry's/Dixons deal which included this LG 42 LCD
    http://www.lge.com/about/design/award/award_reddot_2006_12.jsp

and this LG DVD/CD Receiver
    http://www.callde.co.uk/lg_lht550tb.asp

The TV is excellent and am very happy with it :D . Tried hooking up the DVD player (without the surround sound yet) but all I get is excellent picture with no sound other than faint sound from the SKY digibox. Tried all combinations of SCART leads etc. - also after reading manual, disconnected SCARTS and tried the composite leads (3 x Video - 2 x Audio) from DVD player to TV but to no avail. Can anyone please help as I'm pulling follicles at this stage.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

What do you mean faint sound coming from the Sky digibiox?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Thanks for reply........

Faint sound being what is being broadcast thru the Digibox from SKY before I turned on the DVD player

• Advertisement
Advertisement