Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Need info on surround sound, please.

• 22-09-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi I am wishing to set up my living room for surround sound.

I just moved into a new house and it is already wired for surround sound, i.e about 5 wires are sticking out of the wall @ various points,

my question is what's next do I just but speakers and get them installed?

Where do they get connected, do they plug directly into tv or Dvd,

I am looking at buying a Dvd recorder with a hardrive, will I need it for surround sound to work? and will i be able to watch tv programs through the surround sound speakers somehow,

I would greatly aprecite it if you could help me out, and offer any advice thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where is the other end of the wires? "Installing" speakers is just a matter of putting the loose ends coming out of the wall into the back of a speaker, anyone can do it. What you plug them into would depend what the other end of the wires are connected to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sillyaspie

Ok slightly confused by what you are asking,
    at the moment there are four individual wires coming out of the wall,
    and then there is a loop of wires at the bottom of one corner of the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The four individual wires go into the back of speakers alright. The loop of wires would go into the back of an amp usually. Bit of a gimmick really if they call that a feature in a house, would only cost about €10 to buy the cable yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You will need to buy an AV receiver (amplifier.) You then plug your speakers (five or more speakers, generally two wires per speaker) and DVD recorder/harddrive (using single wire digital connection) into that. You will be able to listen to the TV through the surround speakers by using the tuner in the DVD recorder. If you are using the tuner in the TV, you can also wire the sound into the amp using a SCART-phono cable (most TVs will not have digital sound output.)

Simona- I guess the "feature" is not so much the cables themselves but the fact that they are in the walls.

Advertisement