Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmeaden - Waterford road, dirty and dangerous

• 22-09-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I use the N25 between Waterford ORR and Kilmeaden every working day and its doing my head in! There is a consant stream of earth filled dump trucks running from Kilmeaden to a site somewhere near the ORR/Old Kilmeaden road
    junction which are leaving behind a trail of mud resulting in a slippy surface while cauing tailbacks. Also I've seen two trucks today just pull out into traffic at the new hospital site, the first instance nearly causing a crash.

If you using that road take care, its becomeing a bit of an obstacle course.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes, it is crazy. there was a crash there on Wednesday which caused huge tailbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

theres crashes there every day outside centra.well almost every day.iv seen an ambulance hit into the back of a fella one day coz he cudnt pull in with those dam curbs.the engineers that designed them shud be shot wit s*it its a death trap.now there f**ked up near the long haul aswell.and i lives in kilmeaden its a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree I'm in or going through Kilmeaden every word day and robbing the hard shoulder (as poor as it was) was a crazy act of stupidity. Traffic looking to make a right turn into Centra now holds up traffic, they do have a few 'bays' but they are in the wrong places and too short.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

Yet, if the guys wre not out there breaking their backs trying to better the roads ye would be complaining saying "Oh they should get someone out here to fix these roads."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

when have you ever known a member of the corporation to break their backs working? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

hey waterford online we wudnt mind if they could auctually fix the roads.have u seen the state of the main waterford cork road?it will never be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

Yeah I agree it's bad. Very bad.
    However, we have only the Government to blame. They are not putting proper resources into the schemes. Take the materials they use to resurface the roads. It's crap.
    They should pay the extra few euro to get experienced and professional road resurfacing technicians onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Recently (about 2 years a go), we had a pothole outside our front door filled in. They merely put grit into it and threw some tar in. 3 months later and it was back to the way it was. I can't imagine them putting much more resources into repairing the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

In 1990 I drove for the first time from Rosslare to Waterford on roads that could only be described as country lane's interspersed with road works as the N25 was being built.

In the following week I drove a total of over 800 miles and for 600 of those, I only ever had 3 wheels on the ground at the same time.:D

Now since that road was completed in the early 90's it is far superior than what there was there before but only comparable with the "A" roads in the UK.

On my last visit to Waterford a couple of weeks a go, I drove a number of times on the new road from the hospital to the Cork Road (sorry I don't know the name of it) and was surprised by the roads works that were ongoing on it considering that it had only recently been opened but more so by what I considered to be the bad quality of construction for it.
    It certainly didn't seem to be have built to the standards of road building quality that would have been expected in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Outer Ring Road has an appalling surface - I commented upon that when the road was opened. The top layer of asphalt is of very poor quality, you can see how badly it was put down as in the wet you can see countless small ridges going crossways.

Mike.

• Advertisement

To be honest Mike I thought it was shocking for a new road and what are they up too with the roadworks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

SeanieM wrote:
    On my last visit to Waterford a couple of weeks a go, I drove a number of times on the new road from the hospital to the Cork Road (sorry I don't know the name of it) and was surprised by the roads works that were ongoing on it considering that it had only recently been opened but more so by what I considered to be the bad quality of construction for it.
    It certainly didn't seem to be have built to the standards of road building quality that would have been expected in the UK.

That's the Outer Ring Road, and the reason for the roadworks is that the carriageway part was built, but the contract, if I remember correctly, didn't include footpaths, cycle lanes or lighting. That was a separate, subsequent contract, which is why the left-hand lane is closed on a lot of sections now, to allow those works to be carried out.

What annoys me about it is all the roundabouts. All the acceleration and braking is such a pain in the a$$. On the positive side, that big concrete barrier down the middle is very good. I reckon there will be very few serious accidents on it as a result.

Still though, it's a huge improvement on what went before. I remember going to a wedding in Passage in summer 2005. We had to take the Inner Ring Road (by Superquinn) to get there, and my friends laughed at me for insisting on leaving more than an hour early. We arrived with only 10 minutes to spare...

Even at the worst of times, the only delays I've hit so far on the ORR are at Tesco in Ardkeen, never more than five minutes.

Well it doesn't seem to make sense to me that they didn't complete he whole prodject in one and add the extra's at the same time, I would have thought it would have been cheaper.
    But even so the quality of the building of the main cairriage ways is not very good and will only lead to in the future to more delays because of the constant need of refurbishment.

Though the quality of the construction I think is poor, it certainly helped my tours around Waterford City and so I should be thankfull for that!

Perhaps we ought to get back to Kilmeaden!!:)

Advertisement