Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extra wi-fi router?

• 22-09-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I want to create a wireless network between a desktop and a laptop.
    I have a zyxel prestige, model# 623r-t1 wired by usb to a desktop upstairs and i require that to be changed to a wireless router so i can use the laptop downstairs.
    The problem is the other place is down the end of the garden in a games room and is 40 metre from main phone socket and is beside a phone socket . i am looking to get a wireless router there also for the laptop because i think it is too far away and behind too many walls to work properly.
    Does anyone know if this possible and if not what is the best solution and can anyone reccommend a technician in dublin area i can pay to set it up.bt say they dont install equipment for customers.

thanks,Stuart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Stuart,

So, you're replacing the zyxel with a wireless modem/router, right? These typically have four ethernet ports, so you can plug in your desktop directly into the device.

Does your laptop have a wireless card already? Are you worried that the laptop would be too far (too many walls) from the wireless router (located beside the desktop pc) to connect? If so, maybe you could:

1) Move the location of where you want to put the wireless router, somewhere halfway between the two machines, and get a USB wireless card for the desktop too.
    2) Get a repeater, positioned somewhere between the two PCs
    3) Buy a Wireless router with a large range.. Some of these have very large ranges, and should be able to go the distance (pardon the pun).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Thanks for swift reply krusty,

I think i will try your 3rd option first because i like the position of my desktop now which is in front bedroom between two windows,its nice to look out and see the world go by and also keep an eye on the neighbours brats bouncing their football of my car.:mad: .
    I dont think i will use the router that bt supplies, even though its only €40 once i return the old one. Its a zyxel 660hw-d1.tomshardware reccommends a Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240.if this fails i will try the repeater,though its a pity i cant avoid beaming my info this far for privacy concerns.Also a pity i cant use the phone line thats down there.
    I havent got the laptop yet,thinking of an inspiron 9400.

cheers.

I'd steer clear of anything that BT would provide...
    Ebay is your friend...

Don't worry about the privacy of your data... As long as you set up your security correctly, you have a couple of years before the modern wireless security measures are compromised.

Why couldn't you use your phone line in the other room? needless to say, you can only receive your dsl line at one point in your house.. So it's one or the other..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

I didnt know i can only receive my dsl line at one point in my house.thats what i meant by i couldn't use my phone line in the other room.
    This seems to be the dog's nuts at the moment... http://www.netgear.ie/extra/h_rangemaxnext_wirelessbroadbandrouter_dg834n.php
    what you think of it?

With that kind of range, you'll also be able to fry your neighbours pets (or kids!).. Don't forget, to get the kind of speeds they've listed, you'll need compatible hardware, so you wont be able to use just any Wireless n/w card.

It's not cheap either.. figure around 200 euro from eBay, and potentially a lot more from a brick and mortar shop..

• Advertisement
Advertisement