Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing the attic

Options
  • 22-09-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is ready-made attic ladder (similar to the staighre) for square attic hole spaces? The staighre and similar ones in most hardware shops are only for the rectangular shaped attic hole spaces...

Anyone know where I could get a sqaure version?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mmaybe I'm being a bit thick here (which has been known!) but what impact does the hole being square have on this? I mean, after all, a square is only a special case of a rectangle. Stira do custom made ones, or at least so it says on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You probably cant get ones for square openings due to the fact the ladder will have to be in 4 sections and not 3 like the stira one...maybe a safety issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

If there's enough width between the joists to take the ladder then it would be a relatively easy job to make the square opening into a rectangular one to take the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Loads of enthusiasm for Stira stairs, installed maybe 10 years ago - when they first started- more or less. Great invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

We've a Stira. Expensive but think it was worth it. They did a custom sized door for ours, larger than normal. What i liked best about it is that is very sturdy. Lots of the ones you fit yourself don't appear to be as strong. I'm sure the only limitation is they need a minimum size to work. They can make the hole bigger as required. best to give them a call. I think if they can't fit it, they don't charge you for the call out. But you'd have to check that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Thanks for the replies lads... The Stira site was down the day I checked it last week, didnt realise they did custom stairs...

Thanks...

Advertisement