Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else thinking 'bout giving up using Boards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Snowbie wrote:
    Whats slow about boards,
    Lightning fast here.Never a dull speed.Mistified about this slowness.

Ah thats because of your magical weather powers and clearing the skies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

give up boards? are you stoned or something? O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I too find it very slow..at work we're on a 8mb line..very slow but fair enough we're going through a proxy.
    At home I'm on a 3mb line (metro) and it's a small bit faster but it's a pain in the ass really..
    So my question is 1) Why is it so slow? 2)Can any forum users suggest anything to improve the issue?
    Maybe if the mods provide some more details of what the exact issue is maybe people can help them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ruu wrote:
    Ah thats because of your magical weather powers and clearing the skies. :)

May the sun allways shine down on you my friend;)
    /me clicks finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Whats the need for 'giving up' on a website. Just don't visit it that often..or are you internet addicts or something? If I was to 'give it up' it would be because of the stupid moderation here. Ooops, I'll get a beating for that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Is this the make a wish thread?

I wish I wasn't a vigin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Whats the need for 'giving up' on a website. Just don't visit it that often..or are you internet addicts or something? If I was to 'give it up' it would be because of the stupid moderation here. Ooops, I'll get a beating for that...

Nonsense, spankings only happen in the Sex and Sexuality forum. Or do you mean the bad kind of beating?....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Give up boards!!! Jaysus no,sure I'll have to go into sitting room and talk to wifey,then where will I be.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Perhaps we would better off asking what can we do to improve the speed and get full features back.

Can any admins tell us what is causing the slowness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Whinging. Whinging causes slowness. It's a proven fact.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

amp wrote:
    *wanders off to look for a white horse and a dead elephant*
    Hey, good idea. Then you can flog the dead horse, and sell the white elephant.

Or, y'know. Something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

amp wrote:
    That's because all moderators are assigned to the normal speed connection while users are routed through the boards.ie moonbase router complex.

:eek:
    irish1 wrote:
    Can any admins tell us what is causing the slowness?

Haxors keep stealing our megahurtz :(

Seriously though, servers very soon, if some people are very nice to us :) I really really hope it won't be like adding a third lane on the M50, however. Usually, whenever we added more capacity in the past, it was filled/used within a month or two.

Also, I wonder if we should publish our accounts (which I suppose you can download from the CRO) in order to kill some of the sillier rumours.

Cheers for the reply regi.

Is it storage space or processing power we'r lacking?

I'll gladly sponsor some RAM or a hard drive if it will help and I'm sure loads other would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

All I ask is your patience, seriously.

But thanks - we appreciate every offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Also, I wonder if we should publish our accounts (which I suppose you can download from the CRO) in order to kill some of the sillier rumours.
    Facts? In a rant on Boards.ie? Truly, Boards.ie would cease to exist should that ever happen.

Re: admitting that it's slow: It's been admitted every day or second day at most in the form of an update from an admin, or a reply to another whiney runt's rant, or from the features disappearing before your eyes. Removing the features is a means ot trouble-shooting the problem, as well as a temporary improvement - not much point throwing extra hardware into the mix when there's a deeper problem that will continue to exist.

I sometimes think ppl on here can afford anything except Patience!

Keep up the good work.

Ah yes, Moonbase Commander. One of the most refreshing games I've played in a long while.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the jewish admins are using the durka durka users as muscle against the white moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

I see my virgin problem is being ignored, yet again.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That's 'cos you told us you had a vigin problem. I've spent countless man-hours researching this rare, painful, embarrassing and usually amusingly fatal condition. I was 82% of the way towards a Nobel-winning cure.

And now you tell us it's a perfectly mundane case of virginity. :rolleyes:

Hookers, dude. Coke and hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

amp wrote:
    Ah yes, Moonbase Commander. One of the most refreshing games I've played in a long while.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the jewish admins are using the durka durka users as muscle against the white moderators.

This is the childish crap I was talkin about PullMyFinger! They just go off topic about some stupid game and I'm sure there's something in there about anti-semitism. I mean how was this reply from an admin in any way helpful? Not 1 serious reply from you in this thread. Not surprised boards is gone so slow with eejits like this in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

For replies from Admins, see the responses from myself and regi.

Lorax wrote:
    This is the childish crap I was talkin about PullMyFinger! They just go off topic about some stupid game and I'm sure there's something in there about anti-semitism. I mean how was this reply from an admin in any way helpful? Not 1 serious reply from you in this thread. Not surprised boards is gone so slow with eejits like this in charge.

I mean look at this **** - 3 diff posts in this (supposed to be serious) thread alone
    amp wrote:
    That's because all moderators are assigned to the normal speed connection while users are routed through the boards.ie moonbase router complex. Didn't you get the memo?
    amp wrote:
    I'll see what I can do.

*wanders off to look for a white horse and a dead elephant*
    amp wrote:
    Nonsense, spankings only happen in the Sex and Sexuality forum. Or do you mean the bad kind of beating?....

I mean what a load of crap! Its not even funny like, its just as well yas arent running a business because it wouldnt do very well. Very unprofessional.

Anti-semitism only slows down boards for pathetic user scum like you. My connection to boards is instant. Also how dare you question my Adminship!? Let loose the dogs of war!

ecksor wrote:
    For replies from Admins, see the responses from myself and regi.

I appreciate the serious replies from yourself Regi and Tallisen, but this isn't a jokey forum like After Hours or Cuckoos Nest or anything, its a serious forum for users to give feedback on the site. Why are people like him even allowed post here and make a joke of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Lorax wrote:
    but this isn't a jokey forum like After Hours or Cuckoos Nest or anything, its a serious forum for users to give feedback on the site.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA.

Boards.ie will actually give better performance towards mods if they display anti-semetic, racist, sexist, wrathful, and/or arrogant tendancies. Mine's faster than God right now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Lorax wrote:
    I appreciate the serious replies from yourself Regi and Tallisen,

Just to be clear, the Admins are (in alphabetical order) Cloud, DeVore, ecksor, regi, Vexorg. Everyone else has their opinions and impressions about boards, but even the most informed and up to date folks can be mistaken about certain details of how we're planning or organising. In practice everyone is really just playing a public game of chinese whispers.
    but this isn't a jokey forum like After Hours or Cuckoos Nest or anything, its a serious forum for users to give feedback on the site. Why are people like him even allowed post here and make a joke of the thread?

Because he's offering Feedback too in his own style to make his own point. The forum gets kinda noisy but I think that's better than being restrictive on what people post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

regi wrote:

Yes you should, I think. It's all accessible anyway, it'd just save me the €2.50 I pay to the CRO to get them. I asked if you I could post these at the Beers, I just forgot. So anyways, the balance sheet as of 2005 is attached. I think most would agree the five admins will have to rely on their charm to get those hookers...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lorax wrote:
    I mean look at this **** - 3 diff posts in this (supposed to be serious) thread alone

I mean what a load of crap! Its not even funny like, its just as well yas arent running a business because it wouldnt do very well. Very unprofessional.
    It's certainly very strange isn't it! It's mad because this very serious thread is a thread about somebody saying that the site has problems and he, and others, may be leaving soon. This is very serious and hotbeddish in my honest opinion. The very fact that Pullmyfinger! "cant see this site existing in its current form for much longer" is extremely worrying and juggernautedly so, to have no posters post means that boards is just an empty shell of a website hanging around in cyberspaces binary 1s and 0s. In fact it won't even be a binary any more - it will simply exist in the place between 1s and 0s, between shadow and light, in a digital void we call 'which space' [battling the evil Thyroids without a smart]. So nobody wants this obviously.

So here we have this thread addressing the top four reasons of boards' future demise: 'The good things are being removed', 'Im not sure that dialup users can use this site it's so slow', 'pointless forums' etc etc. And what are people doing on this thread? The brimstonean audacity would see them posting on this thread! I mean, WTF?! We have 47 replies to this thread. It's astonishing to see so few posts. With boards being ready for doom - this is just emphasising its demise. Plus it's a little off-kilter to have people using this site to post humour and sporranish quirkiness when this particular forum and thread deserves professionalism. It's almost like people are enjoying this thread and enjoying posting on it and enjoying the vehicle that is carrying this thread. But that can't be possible because boards is going to have no users tomorrow or the day after tomorrow because people are leaving.

It's so strange. It's like - boards.ie is dying but the conspiracy is that people are still using the site and members are still signing up. I know that tomorrow boards.ie will not be here, but will be in which space as PullMyFinger! makes valid points. So why doesn't everyone just stop posting and fuelling this farce of a possible future for boards. I would like to say to anyone that is signing up new accounts to make it seem that we have new users every day to please stop. Stop signing up accounts, I know you're doing it, please stop. And I'd like to ask anyone that is posting posts and new threads simply to cover up the fact that boards is dying to stop. Please stop posting new threads and replies - you are digging the conspiracy even deeper, you have been found out and I will siteban anyone doing so.

To end, I would just like to repeat Lorax's statement:
    its just as well yas arent running a business because it wouldnt do very well. Very unprofessional.
    It certainly is just as well! Thank f*ck! You're right, we would be losing clients and getting taken to consumer rights groups and nailed to things! I reckon we should laterally diversify this website www.boards.ie to what I reckon our marketing department reckons that the current userbase in Ireland reckons we should be. What could we turn into though? I mean, we're not a business, we're not a charity... wait...

...wait...

nearly there...

EUREKA! How about this: We market this website not as a business, but as... AN IRISH BULLETIN BOARD!! Yes! That's it!

Because on Irish bulletin boards I think that we can be fairly sure that people will want, nay EXPECT people to chat and post up inane waffle and be funny and humerous and not always sticking to the point and being annoying and being tear-bleedingly disgusting sometimes, because it's what these new fangled bulletin boards are all about. That's it, lets do it. I think I've just solved boards' problems.

I'd like to let our marketing department know that I would appreciate a 10% cut in any direct profit experienced by my new idea of marketing this site as an 'Irish Bulletin Board'. And I'd appreciate any moneys to be directly into my account, I'm not falling for that cheap old coke and hooker trick, how am I meant to claim them back to the taxman eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hmmm... and photoshop running in the background. I think the massive corporate companies are fixing the books!

Did you guys hear the latest? Boards were giving cash to Bertie a couple years back, pulled off a huge tax break or something.

wtf Gordon, what is that, a wall of text? Posters like you are bringing about the demise of boards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Nice book Gordon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement