Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else thinking 'bout giving up using Boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jesus, take a chill pill, it's just software.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

if you 'yore_ma' was indexed descendingly then the response would be more or less immediate
    Best yore ma joke evar!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

pH wrote:
    So let me say this one more time, so even the someone as dumb as you can understand it :

You can use an ascending index to sort descending.
    Now now, what ever happened to attack the post, not the poster?

Of course you can do that, but you have to read down through all the index entries in the numerous B-Tree page chains, then work back up to build a descending order list to construct the result set cursor.

I think by now we've established that at most you're not working in I.T. and at least you're suffering from some sort of inner frustration from the amount of PI's that you're throwing out at me.

I'd frown if I was bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Diogenes wrote:
    NERDFIGHT!!!!!!
    :D
    I lolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Now would be a good time to step in and defend dublinwriter...

...Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whichever of DublinWriter or pH wins this argument will surely have to be prepared to beat all the female posters with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Carnivore wrote:
    Now would be a good time to step in and defend dublinwriter...

...Yep.
    I've given up on standing either outside tents pissing in or inside tents pissing out. And I never get involved in a nerd fight, even if I know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mines bigger than yours.............

Oh sorry I thought thats what nerds do to decide an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

How MySQL Optimises ORDER BY

In some cases MySQL can uses index to satisfy an ORDER BY or GROUP BY request without doing any extra sorting.

The index can also be used even if the ORDER BY doesn't match the index exactly, as long as all the unused index parts and all the extra are ORDER BY columns are constants in the WHERE clause. The following queries will use the index to resolve the ORDER BY / GROUP BY part:

SELECT * FROM t1 ORDER BY key_part1,key_part2,...
    SELECT * FROM t1 WHERE key_part1=constant ORDER BY key_part2
    SELECT * FROM t1 WHERE key_part1=constant GROUP BY key_part2
    SELECT * FROM t1 ORDER BY key_part1 DESC,key_part2 DESC
    SELECT * FROM t1 WHERE key_part1=1 ORDER BY key_part1 DESC,key_part2 DESC
    http://mysqld.active-venture.com/ORDER_BY_optimisation.html

Can yourself and DublinWriter just post pictures of your cocks and we can decide once and for all whose is bigger?
    sceptre wrote:
    And I never get involved in a nerd fight, even if I know the answer.

That's the funny thing about cock size wars, the guys who actually have the big cocks can never be bothered to get involved.
    I'd love to get into a technical discussion with you and maybe share some of my 16 years experience in working with and tuning almost every DBMS under the sun except for the fact that your stamping your little foot and coming across like Harry Enfield's Kevin.

I thought it was supposed to shrink as you got older :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Regardless of the nerdicalities of the database if you make it smaller by splitting off an archive off the older posts the performance will improve.

Regardless of the nerdicalities of the database if you make it smaller by splitting off an archive off the older posts the performance will improve.

You mean, that thing that Ecksor allready does?

tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Carnivore wrote:
    You mean, that thing that Ecksor allready does?

There's an archive, but we don't split the database.

ecksor wrote:
    There's an archive, but we don't split the database.

Are there any advantages speed wise to archiving then?

google seems to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Dan mentioned a while back that the database server wasnt even pulling a sweat.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=991947&postcount=3

Is it still like that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

select * from dbo.PullMyFinger! as 'stfu'

Im no software expert.... so could someone explain what "stfu" is please ? :eek:

oleras wrote:
    Im no software expert.... so could someone explain what "stfu" is please ? :eek:

Shut the F...

ah you'll figure it out.

Pretty much. The database server works hard, but doesn't ever go into silly load territory like the webservers do.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote:
    Shut the F...

ah you'll figure it out.
    Goodness me.... would that be considered personal abuse, in a nerdy way ?:confused:

oleras wrote:
    Goodness me.... would that be considered personal abuse, in a nerdy way ?:confused:
    No idea. I'm sure there are some here who'd know.

We had a discussion about this a while back. It was decided that it wasn't personal abuse and anyone who disagreed with that could stfu.

It would still be considered rude btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

the moderators act like drill sergeants

Stark wrote:
    We had a discussion about this a while back. It was decided that it wasn't personal abuse and anyone who disagreed with that could stfu.

It would still be considered rude btw.

well then, i think you should stfu ! :D (feel real quilty now, i wasnt brought up to be rude.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Wow..... after reading through that I think I may need to give up Boards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Can we keep this on track and constructive please. We all know how padlock happy the Mods of Feedback are :) (Which is ironic given that its "feedback")

If its a software issue how do forums bigger then Boards manage to keep all their bells and whistles without been snail slow? Eg: The aformentioned digitalspy.co.uk :confused:

Their search queries are farmed off to poorly paid labourers in third world countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Stark wrote:
    Their search queries are farmed off to poorly paid labourers in third world countries.

All the Mods replies in this thread have been mostly "wacky" and "funny" yet if it was a normal user posting off topic they'd have been warned to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Can we keep this on track and constructive please. We all know how padlock happy the Mods of Feedback are :) (Which is ironic given that its "feedback")

If its a software issue how do forums bigger then Boards manage to keep all their bells and whistles without been snail slow? Eg: The aformentioned digitalspy.co.uk :confused:

8 front end HTML webservers may be a hint. :)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1147844&postcount=27

They have an average of 10,000 users at one time remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement