Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else thinking 'bout giving up using Boards?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So would you define six of the seven stickies being Linux related as "close enough" or not?
    It's not the Linux forum. I'm not sure where proximity comes into it.
    Err so why are you here telling me what it is and isn't?
    Why are you here asking me if it's "close enough" or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Tell me SimpleSam06 did you look at the unix forum before or after you made claims about the abilities of the users? I at least know the difference between Unix and Linux, or at the very least I can just ask Nadir.

Also don't be so mean to sceptre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I for one am sick of using Boards.ie I think its time I moved the relationship beyond this shallow meaningless level, never again will I be a user and abuser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

oscarBravo wrote:
    It's not the Linux forum. I'm not sure where proximity comes into it. Why are you here asking me if it's "close enough" or not?
    No, its not called the Linux forum, plus a few odds and ends. To all intents and purposes it is the Linux forum. The UNIX title is, I assume, a hangover from the old days when UNIX was the OS du jour for some people. Or possibly was named in ignorance. If you need to ask me why, you really might try reading back over the thread there, because I have neither the time nor patience to go repeating myself ad inifinitum.

No, its not called the Linux forum, plus a few odds and ends. To all intents and purposes it is the Linux forum.
    No, it's not. It's the forum for all Unix-like operating systems, including aspects of MacOSX. The fact that most of the discussions there pertain to Linux doesn't make it the Linux forum.
    The UNIX title is, I assume, a hangover from the old days when UNIX was the OS du jour for some people. Or possibly was named in ignorance.
    The Unix title is the best approximation for the range of operating systems for which the forum is intended. There have been discussions about renaming it, which have failed to come up with a more appropriate title. It's the Unix forum. Deal with it.
    If you need to ask me why, you really might try reading back over the thread there, because I have neither the time nor patience to go repeating myself ad inifinitum.
    I've read every post in this thread.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    The Unix title is the best approximation for the range of operating systems for which the forum is intended. There have been discussions about renaming it, which have failed to come up with a more appropriate title. It's the Unix forum. Deal with it.
    Erm, UNIX is a seperate OS from Linux and Mac OS X. Its called the UNIX forum, it most certainly isn't. So I suggest you deal with it. What is this, night of the living pedants? Should I be stockpiling dried food?
    oscarBravo wrote:
    I've read every post in this thread.
    Could have fooled me. If you had read the thread, you would know I was recommending that a good source for Linux expertise would be that forum. Instead I get people flying in from stage left with their knickers around their ankles trying to debate points I really, truly don't care about. Its a good source of Linux expertise, can we agree on that? Because thats all I am trying to say.

Erm, UNIX is a seperate OS from Linux and Mac OS X.
    MacOSX uses the BSD Mach kernel. You do know what BSD is, don't you?
    Its called the UNIX forum, it most certainly isn't. So I suggest you deal with it. What is this, night of the living pedants? Should I be stockpiling dried food?
    Hey, at least I'm a self-professed pedant.
    Could have fooled me. If you had read the thread, you would know I was recommending that a good source for Linux expertise would be that forum.
    ...without bothering to check whether Linux expertise is in any way relevant to the problems being discussed.
    Instead I get people flying in from stage left with their knickers around their ankles trying to debate points I really, truly don't care about.
    And yet, you've debated them. Funny that.
    Its a good source of Linux expertise, can we agree on that? Because thats all I am trying to say.
    You've said a hell of a lot more than you claim to be trying to say, but yes: it's a good source of Linux expertise, and no: that doesn't make it the Linux forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So many battles, so far off the point.

Coming soon to this thread: The Battle Royale that will finally decide which endian encoding is best, and Star Trek vs Star Wars: Round 6x10^15.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Its called the UNIX forum, it most certainly isn't.
    Huh?!

Incidentally, if food stockpiling is to be rife amongst the boarderatti, does that mean that there won't be a byte to eat around here anymore, not even a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

I lol'ed

Anyway, oscarBravo is just a computer engineer, yea know, those things you don't think exist.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    MacOSX uses the BSD Mach kernel. You do know what BSD is, don't you?
    Dear gawd whyyy? Who ever said it wasn't? Who caaares? Aiiii *head asplode*
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Hey, at least I'm a self-professed pedant.
    Is there a twelve step group for that?
    oscarBravo wrote:
    ...without bothering to check whether Linux expertise is in any way relevant to the problems being discussed.
    When you are talking about server efficiency, Linux is always relevant. Thats why it forms a large percentage of all web servers worldwide.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    And yet, you've debated them. Funny that.
    I've corrected them. Big difference. :D
    oscarBravo wrote:
    You've said a hell of a lot more than you claim to be trying to say, but yes: it's a good source of Linux expertise, and no: that doesn't make it the Linux forum.
    Well then my point is made.

Gordon wrote:
    Huh?!

Incidentally, if food stockpiling is to be rife amongst the boarderatti, does that mean that there won't be a byte to eat around here anymore, not even a bit?
    *rimshot*

Who ever said it wasn't?
    Whoever said "UNIX is a seperate OS from... Mac OS X." I wonder who that could have been?
    Who caaares?
    Obviously only the people who are having this discussion. That would be me and... who else?
    When you are talking about server efficiency, Linux is always relevant.
    Really? I have an old iSeries here, running OS/400 v2r3. It's not very efficient - what do you suppose a Linux expert will recommend I do to improve it?
    I've corrected them.
    For very approximate values of "correct", perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So boards runs on BeOs?

oscarBravo wrote:
    Whoever said "UNIX is a seperate OS from... Mac OS X." I wonder who that could have been?
    It is a seperate OS. So is Linux, as several court cases have clarified. Just because they have an X in them doesn't make them UNIX.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Really? I have an old iSeries here, running OS/400 v2r3. It's not very efficient - what do you suppose a Linux expert will recommend I do to improve it?
    Is boards running on it?
    oscarBravo wrote:
    Obviously only the people who are having this discussion. That would be me and... who else?...For very approximate values of "correct", perhaps.
    You're not alone, you know. There are other people out there with the same problems. All you have to do is reach out, help is near. Just call 1800-PEDANT.

We believe in you.

Is boards running on it?
    Ah, when you said "server efficiency" you meant "boards.ie server efficiency". Right, gotcha. You've a funny definition of "always", but hey, you've a funny definition of "correct" as well.

Still utterly irrelevant, as boards.ie doesn't run on Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

When you are talking about server efficiency, Linux is always relevant.
    orlyhb2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

It is a seperate OS. So is Linux, as several court cases have clarified. Just because they have an X in them doesn't make them UNIX.

Is boards running on it?

You're not alone, you know. There are other people out there with the same problems. All you have to do is reach out, help is near. Just call 1800-PEDANT.

We believe in you.

S-H-U-T-U-P

all of you!

shut up!

take your bloody OS pedantry somewhere else! take it to the linux/unix/whogivesacrap forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

S-H-U-T-U-P

all of you!

shut up!

take your bloody OS pedantry somewhere else! take it to the linux/unix/whogivesacrap forum!
    Don't mind WWM. I, for one, am enjoying seeing the pair of you at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

geeksgonewild.com

Goes off to register the domain name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Right then.

Where were we on that descending index question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hrmmm....trying to think of something i can say that will completely stop all conversation.

can't think of anything.

which is weird, cus i'm very good at this in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You're not the only one that has a problem with idiocy. Thats how the grant system works, had you applied for any grant ever you would know that. Or you could STFU and listen to someone who has, successfully, like a good lad, and lay off the abuse.
    I think everyone else knows I'm not going to STFU any time soon, especially for someone who doesn't ask nicely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Ok, in Summary ...

The site is slower than we'd all like, this is being addressed, but not as quickly as we'd all like due to circumstances beyond our control.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and I am reassured to know that if our soon to be announced tourism website based on Linux / Sybase ever has any issues that we'll have an enthusiastic source of expertise to help us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I'm not opposed to Sybase...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Neither am I, but I had to get the doctor to prescribe anti-biotics the last time I used Linux.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement