Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage... is this illegal??

Options
  • 22-09-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just bought an old house, ec-corporation from the late 50's at a guess.

Anyway, her outlet pipe from the toilet, the washing maching, the kitchen sink, in fact all "liquids" coming out of the house go into the same drain.

Isn't this illegal as there chould be health problems due to gases or worse get trapped and could come back up into the sink or washing machine?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Mine is private house and all go in the one drain,its the way they did things in those days I guess.

It all depends on how the pipes are connected up!

If all the pipes have traps before they connect to the stack (assuming there is one) and the stack is vented, there shouldnt be any problems.

If in doubt get a plumber to give it the once over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As long as there is a soil vent pipe and back inlet gully traps then its fine.

Is it only waste water into the drain, sinks etc that are into the drain. These are always put in together. The one that should be separate (but often isnt in old houses) is the rainwater pipe. Are the down pipes going into a sep drain, or the same one.
    either way its ok.

Advertisement