Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

All these Newcastle put downs are starting to annoy me - Parker is a midfielder and the Newcastle midfiled selection comes from Emre, Duff, Milner, N'Zogbia Luque, Solano and ENGLAND INTERNATIONALS Keiron Dyer and Nicky Butt (England's star of WC2002). Not a bad midfield to compare with Bayern Munich I'm sure, although I don't even know who plays for them anymore. With all that talent Parker has become captain as well as the first name on the team sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

kinaldo wrote:
    All these Newcastle put downs are starting to annoy me - Parker is a midfielder and the Newcastle midfiled selection comes from Emre, Duff, Milner, N'Zogbia Luque, Solano and ENGLAND INTERNATIONALS Keiron Dyer and Nicky Butt (England's star of WC2002). Not a bad midfield to compare with Bayern Munich I'm sure, although I don't even know who plays for them anymore. With all that talent Parker has become captain as well as the first name on the team sheet.

2002? :eek:

nicky butt :eek: :eek:

i could go into a rant about the problems with that club, but in summery, their a team i really like, but man, nobody knows what direction that club is going in, its definitely not up anyway. which isnt a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    i just think hargreaves is better at restarting his teams attack, a better passer, better vision, more comfortable on the ball...

theres more to parkers game than hargreaves' of course, but hargreaves is the better defensive midfielder.
    If Hargreaves is better than Parker at all you listed above (which I would seriously disagree with) what exactly is in your own word the "more to Parker's game"? Unless of course you were being sarcastic.

In addition, I don't ever remember Hargreaves displaying anything that would class as "vision". He does his best work jockeying attackers, winning balls (not necessarily by tackling opponents more by forcing them into an error) and laying it off to another midfielder who does all the creating.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Parker is a superior player to Hargreaves for me too. He's a better defensive midfielder and he adds the odd goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

If Hargreaves is better than Parker at all you listed above (which I would seriously disagree with) what exactly is in your own word the "more to Parker's game"? Unless of course you were being sarcastic.

he has more to his game in that he's better going forward, he's got a better work rate than the majority of the players around him, he's also a good defensice midfielder, my point is he has more aspects to his game than hargreaves but hargeaves is a better defencive midfielder imo
    In addition, I don't ever remember Hargreaves displaying anything that would class as "vision".

i didnt tout hargreaves as having "great vision" or something, i said he has better vision than parker, its not a major complement.
    He does his best work jockeying attackers, winning balls (not necessarily by tackling opponents more by forcing them into an error) and laying it off to another midfielder who does all the creating.

all of which he does better than parker, hence my opinion, hargreaves is a better option for defencive midfielder.

if i was looking for a player to play purely in a defencive midfield role, i'd pick hargreaves, if it was a flat 4 midfield i'd play parker.

If Parker wasn't so effective going forward then I doubt anyone would have trouble labelling him a brilliant 'speciality' defensive midfielder.

Does anyone here actually get to see Hargreaves play week in week out, or are they just basing their analysis of him on a handful of games and English media hype? The only time Hargreaves ever really stood out for me was in one of his first games for Bayern many years ago against Real Madrid. Since then he's always looked ordinary to me - a slightly better version of Nicky Butt say.

Almsot everytime I see Parker he puts in a motm performance. I was at St. James' Park a couple of weeks ago for the Fulham game and I have to say it was a privilege to be there to see the performance he put in that day.

If anything, Parker is vastly underrated by people who don't follow Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kinaldo wrote:
    If anything, Parker is vastly underrated by people who don't follow Newcastle.

Except me! Followed him religiously since he scored against Leeds in 2002. Have his Charlton jersey from a game against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Except me! Followed him religiously since he scored against Leeds in 2002. Have his Charlton jersey from a game against Chelsea.

I've always had a soft spot for Parker, stretches way back to the days of his Coca Cola ad!!! ;)

For me both players are superb in their own right. I've seen enough of Hargreave s over the past 5 years to know he deserves his place in the England team and the stick he got from fans was completely unjustified.

Parker is also worth his place, in my opinion ahead of Frank Lampard who is only keeping his place due to the club side he plays for. Parker was never given a chance at Chelsea due to the fact that players like Lampard won't be dropped. Now he is suffering the same at international level.

The best English midfielders based on form alone this season are not Steven (no goals) Gerrard and Lampard but the likes of Parker, Hargreaves (pre injury), Barton, Barry etc. Unfortunately the 'big club' mentality is put first.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats brilliant cheers. I'm gonna do one similar for the Everton game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCYuorAQWSw

As promised :D
    Xavi6 wrote:
    I've always had a soft spot for Parker, stretches way back to the days of his Coca Cola ad!!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqiFBJ7Np4

:D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Cheers man, that's quality (except the music!). I can see many more where that came from :)

• Advertisement

Had to get a song to fit the time sorry, it was either that or Radiohead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

Xavi6 wrote:

It was McDonalds i think.

edit: just spotted vid above. Nice bowler haircut on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm a big fan of both players. Personally I think Hargreaves is better suited to the international role simply for his experience and the level he has constistently played at. For the position they would be asked to play, they are very similar in terms of quality however, and if a better defensive midfielder were to come along, I'd put Parker in the squad ahead of Hargreaves as there's more to his game as a midfielder.

I will say that Parker is a bit of a diver though, which is annoying.

Advertisement