Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rumour: JBL Is Leaving WWE

• 22-09-2006 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Source gerweck.net

Apparently JBL has handed in his notice to WWE to pursue his career as an investment banker, where he is quite successful.

The weekly travel schedule doesnt suit him at all.

If true, this is a huge loss to WWE, and colour commentary, as I was hoping he would take Lawlers place on Raw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I was hoping he'd get back into the ring, he's good at both jobs, he'll be missed. wonder who they'll get to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

It's going to be really sad to see JBL go. He was the one reason I would actually watch SmackDown! it'll be a real loss and I hope he'll be back in the ring soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Best Days are behind him for sure. Pity he got a proper push so late in his career. His title reign was smackdown was great. Loved every feud and match he was in. Even made Cena look good in the "I quit match". His Heel Commentary was great too. Was about the only good thing on Smackdown at one point. Will be missed i'd say(maybe not by many rookies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What are you people deaf? The guy stinks. The idea of having him commentate on Raw is laughable.

JR: Hey that was a nice back suplex by Cena, huh JBL?

JBL: Big deal, JR. I wrestled John Cena for the WWE title at Wrestlemania 21 and he only managed to beat me by luck. I'm JBL.

Someone needs to tell the guy that his job is to put over the talent in the ring and not to stroke his own ego. I'm sick of hearing how him and Ron Simmons did as the APA during every tag match and how he was Smackdown's longest reigning champion.

If he does go I won't miss him. Maybe when Booker's title run ends he can take his place. If not then I guess someone like Al Snow could step in.

At this point though only The Great Khali could be worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No, JBL never put over anyone. I would far prerfer if Lawlor was commentating on both shows, as he puts over everyone.

In his short stint, JBL has managed to try and put over Matt Hardy, Spanky & London, Finlay, Lashley, Rey, Booker. His style is funny, a classic heel colour guy in the Ventura mould, but not as obviously heel biased as Jesse. He has good chemistry with Cole, and is, as far as Im concerned, the best commentator in WWE at present.

As for the talking about himself, well Taz always does it, Lawlor always does it, no doubt Booker will do so if he steps up to the plate. I think its called using your experiences to give some insight :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Storm106

taken from wrestleview.com

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that John Bradshaw Layfield has reached a new deal with WWE and will remain as a commentator on Smackdown along with Michael Cole.

JBL had given his notice to WWE earlier this month and his final show with the company was to be at the No Mercy PPV on October 8 in Raleigh, North Carolina. That has now changed and he will remain with WWE.

gimmick wrote:
    No, JBL never put over anyone. I would far prerfer if Lawlor was commentating on both shows, as he puts over everyone.

I'm not sure if there's a point beneath this sarcasm. Are you seriously suggesting JBL has put people over?
    gimmick wrote:
    In his short stint, JBL has managed to try and put over Matt Hardy, Spanky & London, Finlay, Lashley, Rey, Booker.

And yet has failed on most, perhaps with the exception of King Booker, who coincidentally is one of his "boys" in the back. He put over Ron Simmons quite a bit too didn't he? :)
    gimmick wrote:
    His style is funny, a classic heel colour guy in the Ventura mould, but not as obviously heel biased as Jesse. He has good chemistry with Cole, and is, as far as Im concerned, the best commentator in WWE at present.

Wow. His style is laboured, forced and narrow. If I had to compare him to someone it would be Coach. In my view the guy is the worst commentator in recent memory. At least Coach knew to put over the guys in the ring which is the main job of the colour commentator.
    gimmick wrote:
    As for the talking about himself, well Taz always does it, Lawlor always does it, no doubt Booker will do so if he steps up to the plate.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Taz hardly ever puts himself over. In fact this is most noticeable when Angle is competing as both Cole and Styles have frequently brought up how Angle was choked out by Taz on his debut and Taz always dismisses it as having happened a long time ago. With regards Lawlor I've never heard him bring up his career from Memphis so I don't understand where you're coming from. As for Booker, he's unproven at this stage.
    gimmick wrote:
    I think its called using your experiences to give some insight :rolleyes:

What JBL has been doing? I don't think so. What that has been is putting yourself over at the expense of talent. However if you think bringing up the APA as being the greatest tag team in history and his longest ever WWE title reign on Smackdown as "insight" then clearly we take vastly different views.

I watched Smackdown alst night when Mr Kennedy was at ringside and he wouldn't shut up about how he had fought Taker at No Mercy and was quick to remind us that he had also won that match.

The guy's an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

From the little I've seen of JBL commentating, I think he's very good if you cut out all the times he talks about himself. But I don't blame him, for the last 20 years or however long he's been wrestling, his job was to get himself over. He probably just can't get out of that state of mind yet

Bit of a non-story at this stage though!

EDIT: Actually, screw it

The guy's an embarrassment.

He's a heel and a damn good one at that. He may not be the best colour commentator, but he's great on the mic, funny and just what SmackDown! needs.

As for talking about himself, why not? It was said on this thread that Taz talked
    about himself aswel, Taz talked about how tough it was to face the person in question, while JBL recounts his encounters with the wrestler in question, which in my opinion is much better as it lets the veiwer remember great fueds and matches that JBL had. Also, Vince must think he's doing a good job if he is trying to keep him there.

Finally, if JBL was sent to commentate on RAW, it would be great, but give him a few years in the minor leagues (SmackDown!) first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He's Jessie Ventura like as someone already said. Very entertaining, articluate and at times overbearing but the one guy that he gets over the most is himself. He dominates the show way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

i think JBL is F---ing brilliant at the colour commentating on smack down, he beat the king.
    bring back coach. bring back eric bishoff.

Minto wrote:
    He's a heel and a damn good one at that. He may not be the best colour commentator, but he's great on the mic, funny and just what SmackDown! needs.

He's a heel is he? Is that why he's been bashing Sylvan and The Miz? Oh wait - they're heels. See the guy is clueless.

Do you even watch the product?
    Minto wrote:
    As for talking about himself, why not?

Why not? Because genius, the guy is meant to PUT OVER the in-ring talent and not himself. Why is this so hard to grasp?
    Minto wrote:
    It was said on this thread that Taz talked
    about himself aswel...

Which is complete horsesh*t as Tazz never put himself over at the expense of talent. It's one thing to draw on experience, it's quite another to be going on about how much better you are than everyone else.
    Minto wrote:
    Also, Vince must think he's doing a good job if he is trying to keep him there.

Yeah Vince definitely knows what's best. (sarcasm)
    Minto wrote:
    Finally, if JBL was sent to commentate on RAW, it would be great, but give him a few years in the minor leagues (SmackDown!) first.

Yeah it would be great - for the rival channels who would pick up the viewers who switch over. Seriously get that hearing checked man. :rolleyes:

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I like his commentary but his wrestling skills are **yawn**

gimmick wrote:
    yawn

A compelling rebuttal! You sure showed me!

The rebuttal was down yo your insistence on not taking others opinions on board ever. Sure you can disagree, but acknowledge the other side as well - something you never do, as it seems that you take it as a personal insult that someone differs from you.

gimmick wrote:
    The rebuttal was down yo your insistence on not taking others opinions on board ever. Sure you can disagree, but acknowledge the other side as well - something you never do, as it seems that you take it as a personal insult that someone differs from you.

That's not true. I was just under the impression that this was a discussion forum. So that we could...y'know...discuss and stuff?

Apparently though I'm not allowed to express a different opinion...

But as part of a discussion isnt insulting those who either disagree, or have a differing opinion than you.

If it's that important to you Mr. Nice Guy, fine... JBL sucks! I hope your happy now, cos you've forced your opinion on others! Congratulations.

And to answer your question about weather or not I watch SmackDown!, I didn't between when JBL lost the title and when he became an announcer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

whooooooooo fight startin here lads:):):D

gimmick wrote:
    But as part of a discussion isnt insulting those who either disagree, or have a differing opinion than you.

Look at your own initial response to my comment. Full of sarcasm and rolling eyes smilies so don't try and act like Mother Teresa.
    Minto wrote:
    If it's that important to you Mr. Nice Guy, fine... JBL sucks! I hope your happy now, cos you've forced your opinion on others! Congratulations.

Another sarcastic reply. Is it not telling that the points I have made haven't been tackled but rather that I have been? Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

why can't we all just be friends :D

why can't we all just be friends :D

We are friends. I like gimmick and others on this forum and respect his and other's views on wrestling. I just disagree with him strongly on JBL.

I apologise to gimmick and anyone else if they felt offended by my comments. I'm just passionate about my wrestling...

It's still real to me damn it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

Dont know how anyone can ever compare the Body to any other commentator on WWE, no one comes close , no where , not within a mile , except for the Brain Heenan . Ventura's sharp delivery , sarcasm , off the cuff remarks and verbal tangents are unnnnn beatable and have yet to be challenged.

Wooooooooo!

Truce it is then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Storm106 wrote:
    taken from wrestleview.com

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that John Bradshaw Layfield has reached a new deal with WWE and will remain as a commentator on Smackdown along with Michael Cole.

JBL had given his notice to WWE earlier this month and his final show with the company was to be at the No Mercy PPV on October 8 in Raleigh, North Carolina. That has now changed and he will remain with WWE.

HELL YEAH, Best News i've heard all day. Can't Believe this post was skipped over. JBL gets to stay and we keep listening to great commentating. Win Win i'd say. :)

Advertisement