Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company of heros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Do you think there might be anywhere that might be able to sell it tonight? I won't be in town on Friday and I'm away for the weekend...

Skittle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i usually get my games on a thursday night in smiths, game very seldom allow sale before the release date, however game have an exclusive :rolleyes: on the limited edition version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This is the best RTS i have ever played,brilliant game.
    Im forst to admit im crap at rts games ,im loving the skirmish mode,some nice maps to skirmish on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

heres the skinny, smiths are selling it for 39.99 but they wont have stock till monday. game are selling the limited edition one to pre-orders only and they dont have any regular copies. the limited edition one is 55 euro, you get a map/poster some vehicle ID flash cards and a survival handbook. you also get a copy of dawn of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

This thread is about Company of Heroes
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    I hate those Nazi bastards that only let you play as the Germans more :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

jaggeh wrote:
    heres the skinny, smiths are selling it for 39.99 but they wont have stock till monday. game are selling the limited edition one to pre-orders only and they dont have any regular copies. the limited edition one is 55 euro, you get a map/poster some vehicle ID flash cards and a survival handbook. you also get a copy of dawn of war.

So no one will have it tomorrow ? :mad: :confused:

jaggeh wrote:

Jaggeh, which Smiths store did you check? It probably doesn't matter, 'cause in 10 minutes I'm leaving work to trapes around the game shops to see who has it.:D

Skittle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

never picked up dawn of war (just skimmed my mates copy.) So that special edition looks sweet to me.

Right, I've just picked it up from Smyths in Jervis street for 40 notes. They had 40 copies but none were out on the shelves so ask for it at the counter. They were busy stocking the shelves with FIFA 07...

Skittle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This game is very very good :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Praetorian wrote:
    This game is very very good :S
    What are you running that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

excellent game alright .... that mission with the hedgerows just did my head in though :o ... bloody 88's and anti-tank guns are way overpowered

actually, if you play some skirmish games against the Germans you may find yourself faced with loads of anti tanks guns ... bit annoying tbh

sort of a reverse of reality (German's terrified at the countless Allied Anti Tank guns.)

tiny tidbit: Micheal Witmann (Tank Ace) was terrified of Anti-Tank guns and had an extreme fear of them. which is not surprising seeing he is a tank commander. But he had little or no fear of other tanks...just the anti tank guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

jaggeh wrote:
    hey they may start out as zeros but after you rush the machine guns on omaha id call them heroes!!!

but seriously, my palms are getting itchy. Special edition is exclusive to game :(

My pre-order from game arrived yesterday. Map + cards... blah. Rubbish.
    GREAT game though...love it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    sort of a reverse of reality (German's terrified at the countless Allied Anti Tank guns.)

tiny tidbit: Micheal Witmann (Tank Ace) was terrified of Anti-Tank guns and had an extreme fear of them. which is not surprising seeing he is a tank commander. But he had little or no fear of other tanks...just the anti tank guns.
    All that sounded so much better coming from someone called BlitzKrieg. :D

Can't wait to play this game. Love anything to do with WWII and love RTS. Happy Days.

All that sounded so much better coming from someone called BlitzKrieg. :D

Can't wait to play this game. Love anything to do with WWII and love RTS. Happy Days.
    father was a historian...hence both the name and the tdbits of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

skirmish ai is annoying all it seems to do is build legions of tanks and engineers (that ****ing flamer needs a nerfing!) my one and only working tactic against them = build a HUGE line of tank traps Mg gun bunkers and anti-tank guns across the map then bomb the **** out of their side of the map before moving forward thankfully the ai doesn’t seem to understand the need for a bulldozer blade on their tanks....or base defense.

Why is it that these modren rts games are trying to get rid of my favourt tactic of a strong defence letting his army die on my guns then i counter attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wow. Played the first two missions today, one of the most impressive game engines I have seen in quite some time. A joy to play. Just wish my pc could run it a little better. Time for an upgrade. ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Tusky wrote:
    Just wish my pc could run it a little better. Time for an upgrade. ugh.
    I find the game running really well compared to most new releases, my 2.16ghz athlon XP, and 9600XT graphics card are running it fine.

Pugsley wrote:
    I find the game running really well compared to most new releases, my 2.16ghz athlon XP, and 9600XT graphics card are running it fine.

Mine runs it fine too, but I want to play it in all its glory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

same as that i want it to look like those funky screenshots in the mags,looks savage,great game though!:D

picked it up yesterday.

Played it today.

me likey...

But

THe tutorial ran fine, bit of a stutter at the start and the camera movement is very aggressive.

Fixed this via options menu.

Did the included performance test, and it shows the cutscene of level 2...I very much failed it extensively.

So I drop the res down to 800-600, drop a few of the sliders down to medium and boot up the first level.

Play through the level pretty well. Great Fun.

Get to the second level...*CRACK* the framerate breaks and takes a nosedive into single digits.

so I'm sort of GRRRR! now.

Dont want to waste money upgrading my PC anymore (3gig, radeon 96000, 756 ram.) as I'm investing in a Mac soon.

I hope the frame issue was just a problem with background programs or something, will try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The levels get progressively more power hungry as you progress through them. My game was running at 40-50fps in the early levels and was down in the 20s for the last levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

humanji wrote:
    Didn't think it too impressive. It's fun and all that, but it's more like a mod for Dawn of War. And it's a tad repetative. No crap, but by no means worth 10/10.

Have to agree with humanji. I like Dawn of War, but Company of Heroes really does just feel like a mod. I certainly don't see how it lives up to all the 90+% or 5/5 ratings.

Flamethrowing engineers are ridiculously effective against all other infantry units and I found that building tanks was a waste of time, it seems more effective to move packs of anti-tank guns around the map :(

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Get to the second level...*CRACK* the framerate breaks and takes a nosedive into single digits.

so I'm sort of GRRRR! now.

Dont want to waste money upgrading my PC anymore (3gig, radeon 96000, 756 ram.) as I'm investing in a Mac soon.

I hope the frame issue was just a problem with background programs or something, will try again.

Strange, Im playing it fine on 9800 pro, 1 gig ram 2 GHZ on 1024 x 1024 with most settings on medium - high.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

She's probably RAM hungry.

I'd have thought 756meg with XP and a modern game would be on the slim side.

The difference I saw in Oblivion when I went from 1gig to 2gig was staggering. (specs below - this was before I went SLi - that helped too ;))

true...

Ram is my achilles heel...when I get my first paycheck, a portion of my funds are going to a nice piece of ram.

back on topic.

I feel the game is more then a 'add on pack' for dawn of war.

Sure the mechanics are the same (squad based infantry being the focus) but there are huge elements of the game that are beyond dawn of war.

1. The cover element is vastly improved and much more dynamic. The sheer effectivness of using good cover and the diversity in destroying the same cover opens to a a whole new field of single player/multiplayer strategy

2. The single player (so far) is miles ahead of Dawn of War, which to be honest had a sh*tty single player campaign. Now I havnt gotten too far into it, but the sheer length and quality that was put into level 2 was more then most levels of dawn of war. And I assume (and hope) that they just go further in the latter missions.

3. Its amazing how different tank combat is to any other strategy game, the fact that they are so versitile (go through walls and over most terrain) and that they can take a beating unless you hit them from behind, makes them a joy to play. The only other strategy game that put as much emphasize on ensuring your units point the right way was the Total war series and thats also an all time great. Sure AT guns are considerable effective, but thats realism, AT guns were the most feared weapon to most tank commanders. But to other infantry AT guns are easy pickings, hence Tanks with a small infantry back up, are the best way to take points (tank targets MG points and infantry squads, while your infantry/sniper/mg team suppresses the enemy.

4. the diversity in weapon effect is huge, suppression and damaged vehicles make for exciting and unpredictable gameplay. Only last night did a Tiger go out of control and ram trhough most of my defenses (and I was the Germans :( )

And I must emphasize the destructable scenery, the sheer fact that you can put a hole into any wall or building in your way makes it the first 3D strategy game that I can think of that gives you the 'See it, destroy it' strategem. (Red Alert 2, was the last one I remember to give me such joy) And this does it so much better.

Overall once I get the graphic difficulties out of they way I intend to take this battle to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

jaggeh, where'd you get your info that Game were only selling it to pre-orderers? Cos it ain't true (in my store anyways). In work all weekend we sold it to anyone, plus we have loadsa stock of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    The cover element is vastly improved
    The cover element sure is a great addition to the engine.
    Sure AT guns are considerable effective, but thats realism, AT guns were the most feared weapon to most tank commanders
    I know you've already posted that bit about the tank ace, but saying that tank commanders feared AT guns is like saying fighter pilots fear SAMs. It's a bit of a no-brainer. But it doesn't mean that WW2 tank commanders didn't also fear tanks. I'm pretty sure that the sight of a TigerII would put the fear of God into any sane person :)

As far as realism & destructible terrain goes, I couldn't get my tank to drive through a hedgerow. A hedgrerow.

• Advertisement

was that in the bocage?

Advertisement