Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company of heros

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I think so, can't be sure. I've since unistalled the game and donated it to a friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well historically tanks were f*cked in Bocage cause they actually couldnt go anywhere but the roads, but I doubt thats the reason ingame (though it could be, god knows how those relic people think.)

There was an interesting story I think it happened in Bocage, where a German Tank Commander (Wittmann again.) caught a British convoy offgaud, took out the first vehicle and the last, then calmly destroyed most of the rest of the convoy, there is even a variation where he drove his own tank back to a German outpost to restock and then return to the convoy, to find the British still stuck and finished off the convoy.

Hence Bocage was very popular with AT guns, not so with tanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Biggest Cheap thrill in this game so far? Chasing enemy troops in my Sherman with my anti-mine flail operating. Troops go squish!
    I'm one sick puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Fidelis wrote:

As far as realism & destructible terrain goes, I couldn't get my tank to drive through a hedgerow. A hedgrerow.

actually ,that is fairly realistic, most normal tanks could and did get snagged on a lot of the hedgerow scrub in normandy, and they often had to call in thresher tanks or dozers to make way for them.

altho i'm presuming your case may have been a glitch?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

Bought this today in Gamestop. Was expecting to shell out €60+ or so (thats the price of the last game i was thinking abou buying) and was very surprised to see it was only €45. I decided to get hl episode one as well.

Once i got home i realised i got dawn of war with it so im guessing this is the "specil edition"?
    Third surprise was that it said it needed vista or xp. Instaling now on Vista. Been so long since i played a decent rts and i have high hopes :D

ANyone played the multiplayer? is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Fidelis wrote:
    As far as realism & destructible terrain goes, I couldn't get my tank to drive through a hedgerow. A hedgrerow.
    You can get a dozer blade upgrade for shermans, which lets you steam roll over headgerows :)
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    Anyone played the multiplayer? is it any good?
    Played the multiplayer beta for this extensivly, very very fun game online, worth the price of admission alone by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭BKtje

if this works im gonna try get this as a comp at the next gamecon.

Single player is massively fun and i assume that mp will be too.
    Convincing all me m8s to buy it atm

right i finished work today, got the weekend to play with this and catch up watching episodes of scrubs and boston legal.

I'm only new at it (3rd level single player.) But if anyone else who is relatively new at it as well wants to have a few multiplayer games, gimme a PM.

lets just hope my computer doesnt ruin it all by being far too slow (though it runs without a problem on the 2 skirmish maps I tried.)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only played the multi player, thus far, but its sweet. Also, the allied Calliope tank with the missile's on top which you can call in @ a cost of a few hundred men: handy, esp the missile barrage it does (see attached pic).

Gonna hopefully do the single player over the weekend.

i'm gonna play a few skirmish maps, so I can try the different doctrines (I WANT MY TIGER ACE!)

• Advertisement

hmm, online seems to be a pain to get a game going (prob just the hour I tried playing at.)

Single Player is still amazing good fun. (level 3 was just f*ck yeah!)

Also anyone else like the homeworld feel to the cutscenes (using drawings mixed with CG just like homeworld which is really cool.)

Damn Relic make badass strategy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lvl 13 is a f*cking joke >_< anyone beat it ?

You play pvp or co op in muiltyplayer blitz?

Couldnt get into any game, all the rooms either had locks on them (I have no friends who play strategy games :( ) and the ones which didnt, wouldnt let me connect (despite 4mb broadband.)

I'm only on lvl 4, which is the worse kind for me seeing as I have always since my very first game of C+C been a very cautious player trying my best to keep everyman alive (I have been known to restart when I loose a single man.) and this level requires you to rush a group of tanks through a AT firing range within a tight time limit. (f*ck off!)

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Couldnt get into any game, all the rooms either had locks on them (I have no friends who play strategy games :( ) and the ones which didnt, wouldnt let me connect (despite 4mb broadband.)

I'm only on lvl 4, which is the worse kind for me seeing as I have always since my very first game of C+C been a very cautious player trying my best to keep everyman alive (I have been known to restart when I loose a single man.) and this level requires you to rush a group of tanks through a AT firing range within a tight time limit. (f*ck off!)

:) i perfere playing co op game's as short rush games against humans just bore me i perfere to play with other humans against the ai and make a game enjoyable if you want to have a game tomorrow with myself in a 2 v 2 or maybe a 3 v 3 with another m8 of mine give me a pm with what time you will be on and we work something out .

Have to say though my pc strains with 6 player's ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

bizmark wrote:
    Lvl 13 is a f*cking joke >_< anyone beat it ?
    Which level is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Which level is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    right i finished work today, got the weekend to play with this and catch up watching episodes of scrubs and boston legal.

I'm only new at it (3rd level single player.) But if anyone else who is relatively new at it as well wants to have a few multiplayer games, gimme a PM.

lets just hope my computer doesnt ruin it all by being far too slow (though it runs without a problem on the 2 skirmish maps I tried.)

Id be up for a few games for sure. Im only on level 3 or 4 myself. (protect the convoy and hold the road one?)

Give me a shout this evening or tomorrow anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    Ba-dum-tish

Found out its the one where you have to defend the hill, prob the hardest level in the game. The key it AT guns and Airborne, get a airborne team onto the hill as fast as possible and upgrade them. Keep them fully reinforced and they should be able to hold the hill.

Right plan for tonight...

Get some Pizza

Complete level 4.

Try out another doctrine in skirmish

then about elevenish take this puppy online.

anyone wanna join me for a game my username is connla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Pugsley wrote:
    You can get a dozer blade upgrade for shermans, which lets you steam roll over headgerows :)

Ah! OK, I withdraw my objection, thanks! :D

• Advertisement

got that upgrade in the current level...far too much fun...though I want to try it on infantry...but they wont hold still.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm lovin this game.

The only problem is work keep rudely rostering me in to work. The cheek of the bastards.

The second mission was fantastic - I love how progressional the story is - the fact that how well you do one one mission effects how well you start the next. Always makes you conscious of doing everything right.

on a side note, what do you guys think is the best doctrine?

I really like the Allied Airforce doctrine, Paratroopers are really bloody effective. Also in Skirmish I tend to be a bit slow starting compared to the computer, but airforce doctrine helps speed things up (jumping into areas I need quickly)

On the Axis side, I think it would be the BlitzKrieg doctrine. (though Propaganda has Tiger Ace)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

haven't tried the germans yet but yup, the paratroopers rock

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    On the Axis side, I think it would be the BlitzKrieg doctrine.

Biased?

I haven't come across much to do with the doctrines - is it a multiplayer thing or does it come in during the single player campaign?

I really have to get online with this but Digiweb throttled me for annihilating my traffic cap this month.. :(

the doctrines effect what you can use your command points for.

In the campaign depedning on which army your using and which mission it is, you get different doctrines (101st get the airborne while able company get the armour doctrine)

In Skirmish, these doctrines are divided into 3 catagories focusing on a specific style of play. (Airborne, Tank, Defence for allies, BlitzKrieg, Propaganda and Defence (I think) for axis)

Use your command points to unlock new attacks, upgrades and vehicles.

I enjoy using airborne cause paratroopers are among the best infantry on the allied side (able to take on both armour and other infantry) and the ability to drop them in behind enemy lines makes for quick territory grabs.

Anyway I'm hitting online in about an hour or two (I'll msg you then tusky.) Just gotta complete mission 4 first. God damn those german tanks (stugs mainly) have flanked me and are pounding my base which is a pain cause my tanks are entrenched in my forward barracks in the middle of the map (being pounded by panzer IVs. trying to capture a few AT guns with my sniper and infantry and roll them back to the base.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Picked this up today for €36 using the Smyths loyalty card along with a copy of 'Dawn of War'. Time to fire it up :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

For allied definately defence doctrine, them rangers are just..... wow, incredible, words cant describe how much them guys kick A*S! A good flank with these will take down Panthers, tigers, Panzer IV's, and even Tigerace's with ease.

For the germans probably blitz, you get your Tiger tanks, and their storm troopers are insanely good too, however blitz doctrine tends to eat up your population cap real bad, so you have to play a very offensive game to make the most of your elite units.

just tried co-op with Tusky.

heheheee.

We got owned by the computer...sort of. We got some ground, but we couldnt seem to be able to make that extra push needed. (damn stugs kept coming out)

and then one of us lagged and we didnt notice that we were not playing together anymore for a few minutes. (until I noticed I suddenly had alot more infantry then I had built.)

• Advertisement

You want a 2 v 2 ? now

Advertisement