Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else lost NTL service today?

Options
  • 22-09-2006 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else lost their NTL service today? I have and I am sure it's because of the weather but just want to make sure I'm not the only one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Mine went too but I just took out the card and put it back in again and it was restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks for that I cant believe i spent all day with the kids lookin for some telly and that was all i had to do!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

foxy06 wrote:
    Has anyone else lost their NTL service today? I have and I am sure it's because of the weather but just want to make sure I'm not the only one.

SKY Spts 2, 3, Film 4 {both} down since last night.

Rang NTL...got some bogus ass excuse, {not enuff people had called in a fault so they didn't know there was one} and they said stuff would be back in 1 hour, now that they knew, you see.

Left the appt at 2pm today {Sunday} so I can't tell yet if the problem is sorted.

They are becoming a pain in the a*se. I can understand it going off the other day because of the weather but there is always something wrong with it or channels missing. Would prefer Sky but besides the rule against installing satalite dishes, they dont have ITV or Channel 4 which I watch quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

foxy06 wrote:
    They are becoming a pain in the a*se. I can understand it going off the other day because of the weather but there is always something wrong with it or channels missing. Would prefer Sky but besides the rule against installing satalite dishes, they dont have ITV or Channel 4 which I watch quite often.

ITV can be tuned in manually on your Sky box and just about everything you'd want to watch on C4 is shown on E4 and/or More4 sooner or later.

If you must have C4, you could always buy a UK Freeview card on eBay, which would also give you ITV and Channel 5.

• Advertisement

But what about the dish situation? Im sure I could get out of my contract with NTL simply because the service is so bad, but I don't want to start a row with the management company over a dish on the roof.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there are dozens of dishes already up, so at least you wouldn't be alone.

The management company works for us (in theory). If enough people wanted the rule changed it could happen (though there are planning issues with having a dish on the front of your house).

You need planning permission to put a dish on the side of your house!?
    Has anyone else actually applied for permission? My hose is facing east so would i need to put a dish on the front or the back of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

foxy06 wrote:
    You need planning permission to put a dish on the side of your house!?
    Has anyone else actually applied for permission? My hose is facing east so would i need to put a dish on the front or the back of the house?

if your garden is east facing (that's what is usually meant by an east-facing house) you'll need to put the dish in the back and you'll be ok. I think it needs to have unobstructed view to a S/SE direction (i may be wrong).

As for planning permission, I don't know anyone having done it but I know someone looked into it and it was an absolutely insane procedure, don't think anyone would ever do it...

You only need planning permission for a dish on the FRONT of the house.

This regulation may change as in the UK where there is a blanket exemption for dishes under a certain size.

• Advertisement

Ok well my front door is east facing and my garden is to the side of the house (3-bed-semi). So I'm not sure where that leaves me? I had a dish in my old house and never even thought about planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Aside from planning permission you signed a covenant with your contract agreeing amongst other things not to erect a satellite dish.Also you gave the management company the right of entry to your property at any time they demed fit to rectify any problems that may arise so youy signed away the right to put up a dish and gave them the right to take it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

doesn't really seem to matter where you put the dish anyway - management company aren't taking any action against them. It was brought up at the management co. AGM for the Park and people said that NTL service was so bad that people had a right to go elsewhere for their service. The only comment the M.company made was to say refuse to pay NTL and they will have to give a better service. Refusing to pay NTL will get you cut off and nothing more :rolleyes:

People are being forced to use SKY as NTl are so bad and I believe once they put their dish somewhere discreet its not a problem for the management company??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

yeah but the problem is finding that "somewhere discrete"!!

Btw, anyone else thinks the actual QUALITY of picture from NTL is horrible as well? Pixelated and slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MuffinsDa wrote:
    Btw, anyone else thinks the actual QUALITY of picture from NTL is horrible as well? Pixelated and slow?

Without a doubt - this topic has come up so many times here. It's been consistently poor for us since we moved in last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

It's been fine for us until recently. I think on Friday night it just went on the blink altogether. A friend of ours is moving into Black Lion Manor, and NTL aren't covering their estate at all. They say there's no signal as the builders didn't wire the estate. They also have an agreement re satellite dishes with their management company. Are there any other alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Angel wrote:
    Are there any other alternatives?

I really don't think so. It's either cable or dishes. And it's not even proper cable - I understand it's only cable up to a central receiver (MMDS). This probably explains the dodgy signal.

I brought up this issue at our management company's AGM (Grove and Park - I think), and the rep from the management company didn't seem to particularly strong views for or against dishes. She said that it is generally a standard clause, and dates back to when dishes were much bigger. She said that this is something that can be brought to the attention of the management committee. I understood this to mean that if the residents agree, the clause can be written out of the contract.

I also understand that one dish can serve two houses at a time - even allowing for Sky Plus, so I don't think it would be all that cluttered looking.

However, there are probably residents out there who don't want to see dishes, and they - quite rightly - probably feel pìssed off to see dishes at the moment, given that it is against the rules.
    Slightly Off Topic - but if we have members of the respective management committees active on this forum, then it may be an idea to have a "sticky" thread with a contact email address for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

The single reciever in Charlesland is between Charlesland wood and park its basically a reciever on top of a streetlight pole.this is linked up to the wood directly but spliced into for other developments I dont have any problens as I am in the houses first on the cable line but the further down the cable line the bigger draw on the signal and the more splices in the network hence the poor quality. People should call customer relations for ntl and complain about this.I believe the industry standard for mmds shared to teresstrial cables is 1 to 300 users. It could be as high I'm not sure how many but 1 to 600 0r 700 or far more in Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i presume their amplifying the signal where they're splitting it.

I'm in the Grove and don't have any serious problems with it.

ITV can be tuned in manually on your Sky box and just about everything you'd want to watch on C4 is shown on E4 and/or More4 sooner or later.

how do you do this? My dad has it and wants to know?

• Advertisement

Advertisement