Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super card now, or wait for DX10?

Options
  • 22-09-2006 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Building a new high-end PC soon, list of my chosen components can be found on this thread.

Question at the moment is, should I spend the cash on this (Point of View GeForce 7900GT 512MB) now, or would it be wiser to just buy something cheaper and save the cash for a DX10 card?

Basically, when are the DX10 cards out? and for equivalent cash (~€320) are the DX10 cards likely to be all that much better?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

November-December time frame for NVIDIA DX10 cards rumours of 3 SKU's all at the high end of the market.

As for price it is difficult to say but I would imagine the 'lower' end of the parts might come in around €370+ mark but that's a guess on my part.

Whether to wait is another issue, the DX10 cards will basically be faster DX9 cards under XP so I don't know, you will get some new features and be able to play the few DX10 enabled games that will show up over the next year (provided you also have Vista).

It is a hard call to make but November isn't too far away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd go for the 7900Gt. There is no guarantee how good the first dx10 cards are gonna be & there will more than likely be some probs with them. 1st one is out in nov. Dx10 cards are gonna be a serious expensive when they're first released (400-500ish i heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cool, cheers.

It may be close to November by the time I'm ordering these things anyway, so I'll have a chance to reassess then. Going from a 64mb GeForce3 mobile, I'm such the 7900GT won't fail to impress ;)

If they're going to be that much more expensive then I won't be bother - but if there's any other card for around ~350 that stands out from the crowd, do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

GeForce 3 64MB mobile :eek:

Well yeah anything will impress over that :)

If your waiting till around November anyway hold off and see as the time comes closer for the cards to launch more concrete details will leak and any must have features that G80 has may come to light. Allowing you to make a better decision if its going to be worth it.

The price of the GF7 units should drop a bit anyway in preparation of the GF8 series so you may get the 7950GT card even cheaper. Generally the pick of the bunch at the moment for aound 300+ are the 7950GT and X1900XT 256MB edition though there is a cheaper then usual X1900XT 512MB going for €375 on Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I got a bit of a bargain on overclockers a while back, X1900XT 512mb for €318 delivered.

It runs hot though so you need to tweek the fan settings a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement