Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii's graphics.

Options
  • 22-09-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just how sharp will they be?
    I know they won't be able to compare with ps3 or 360,
    but will they be as goos as a ps2?

I think they are the only thing turning me off buying one,
    the price for me would work out at?
    Item........................Price
    Console ...................249
    1st controller.............0
    1st nunchuck.............0
    2nd controller............39
    2nd nunchuck............19
    game 1.....................55
    game 2.....................55
    Total........................417

The Wii's graphice will most compare to: 44 votes

worse than a gamecube
    0% 0 votes
    those of early gamecube titles
    4% 2 votes
    the game cube
    0% 0 votes
    late gamecube titles
    2% 1 vote
    slightly superior gamecube
    2% 1 vote
    improved gamecube
    11% 5 votes
    far improved gamecube
    25% 11 votes
    just below 360 and ps3
    36% 16 votes
    I'm drunk and think it will match 360! + ps3!!!!! OMG!!!OMFG!!!!LOL!!! ROFLAo!!!!
    13% 6 votes
    Who cares it's a wii.(שּﭚﮕﯥﯝﯝﯙﯖﯓﺉﺉﺉﺉﺉﺉﺉﮬﮬﮬﮬﷲשּ)
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you want pretty graphics, don't get a Wii. It's not about graphics. It's about games and gameplay.

I'd type up more but I'm going outside now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sillyaspie

Yeah I know they wont be pretty but if they were bad it would put me off, I just want to ensure they are about ps2's standards than I would be delighted with the little white box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Pretor

IMO they will be better than ps2 graphics, like the gamecube was...
    Red Steel and Metroids graphics look pretty good despite the fact nintendo haven't played up the graphics ability of the console

249 for the console seems right, but will the Controller and the nunchunk be sold separatly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Well they'll be at least as good as the gamecube which had better graphics than the PS2 so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Pretor

Also, I think I heard somewhere that they were trying to sell the games for wii cheaper than the gamecube ones, but just may be hype...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

it should be better then xbox, definitely better then ps2. Shots of farcry look shocking but others like red steel and zelda look very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

with the wii launch package you'll get

1 wii
    1 remote controller
    1 nunchuks
    1 wii sports game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sillyaspie wrote:
    I think they are the only thing turning me off buying one,
    the price for me would work out at?
    Item........................Price
    Console ...................249
    1st controller.............0
    1st nunchuck.............0
    2nd controller............39
    2nd nunchuck............19
    game 1.....................55
    game 2.....................55
    Total........................417
    Convert that logic to the Ps3 and it (in an estimate of course) comes up nearing €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Rhyme wrote:
    Convert that logic to the Ps3 and it (in an estimate of course) comes up nearing €1000.

surely it's not about €800?

console: €600
    extra controller: €50
    games: €150 (€75x2)

either way, the Wii's purpose is to be a cheap alternative to the other machines. the OP's point was that it still works out to be expensive anyway, so why not go for the superior hardware of the 360 or ps3?

as for the graphics, it's going to be an issue. right now the nintendo games look pretty good, but third-party stuff like far cry looks horrendous, sub-ps2 stuff. that could be the problem here. lots of devs are signing up to the Wii now, but i recall that happening with the gamecube too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ps3 will wipe the floor with wii graphics wise.

wii sports and a few 1st party games a 2nd remote and mucho fun, tbh i use pc for intelligent games tv is for entertaining, cba with great looking games anymore they usually ****.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The IGN Farcry Wii article states the Wii's graphics/performance to be better than the original Xbox, which would actually be pretty good then. Anymore concrete info on this?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Matt Simis wrote:
    The IGN Farcry Wii article states the Wii's graphics/performance to be better than the original Xbox, which would actually be pretty good then. Anymore concrete info on this?

Matt

ss_preview_FC_vengeance_seadoo.jpg
    ss_preview_6.jpg?slideshow=true

guess which is which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sillyaspie

that image is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I'm sure the wii is a decent bit better than the cube', and the cube had some VERY pretty games. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ss_preview_FC_vengeance_seadoo.jpg
    ss_preview_6.jpg?slideshow=true

guess which is which

Yeah, Farcry looks brutal, but Im not going to judge it by one poor graphical example. Some of the other shots (of different games) could be legitimately called "good looking".

Matt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

graphics will be better than gamecube anyway which was much much prettier than than ps2,
    like the resi games on the gamecube were all stunning and things like zelda and metroid were hugely impressive,
    expect graphics not to be the focus of the games though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreamcrusher

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    it should be better then xbox, definitely better then ps2. Shots of farcry look shocking but others like red steel and zelda look very impressive.
    Oh my god far cry looks like someone vomited into a wii dev kit and published it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I reckon the graphics will be significantly better than the best Xbox games, and as with all consoles, it will take a few years to get the untapped potential out of the graphic power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Farcry could just be a lazy port, it doesn't mean that every game is gonna look like it was made out of 3 pixels. I'm sure that by next summer Nintendo will easily have a library of fantastic looking games with great gameplay on offer. For christmas, we might just have to make do with great gameplay and unrivalled innovation. That's enough for me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I would assume that the wii being 2 - 3 times more powerful than the cube in terms of processing power will also pack a more powerful GPU, stands to reason.

And some of the games i have on the cube are possibly the best looking old gen games there are : resi 4, Zelda Wind waker (some gorgeous effects) and f zero to name but a few.

But the reason I will justify spending the money on the console isn't for it's graphics. It's for the games and the new way I'll be able to play them. That red steel video really excited me. Even if red steel turns out to be cr*p at the very least it shows that there will be a great fps that will use the controls as they were meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I think it was offically stated that it would be mid way between GC and xbox360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sillyaspie wrote:
    Just how sharp will they be?
    I know they won't be able to compare with ps3 or 360,
    but will they be as goos as a ps2?

They will be about as good as a mid to high end ATI graphics card for a PC that was release a year ago.

It won't be a new "revolutionary" graphics chip like those supposed to be in the X360 or the PS3, but then do you really care. There is only so high res one can draw Mario

It will be more powerful than a PS2, Xbox or GameCube, which isn't surprising since they are all 5 years old. The Xbox had a Geforce 3 in it. The Wii will have something like a Geforce 7600GT in it, which is 4 generations head of the Xbox graphics chips.

Nintendo haven't taken a step back with the Wii, they just haven't jumped as far forward as Microsoft or Sony, probably because they realise that the only way to survive is to sell the Wii to people who already have a X360 or PS3, so keeping costs down was important. But it will still be a much more powerful machine than a PS2 or GameCube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wicknight wrote:
    They will be about as good as a mid to high end ATI graphics card for a PC that was release a year ago.
    Yes, although it will be at a much lower res.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

lower res yes but also better framerates so it kinda balances out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lower res yes but also better framerates so it kinda balances out

I'm sure playing wii games through component, on a decent high res flat screen will look great. :) No HD obviously, but should still look pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

personally i think we are having the wrong conversation here, its not about the graphics of the wii but the games.

I for one dont care about the graphics and couldnt give a crap how pretty a game is , i just want the game to be fun ,reallly enjoyable game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Some good quality Mario Galaxy gameplay footage :
    http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_mariogalaxy_spiderworld_gp_gt_h264.mov

Looks good enough to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

aww i dont know i want shemue 3/halo 3 but i also want a wii

which oh which oh which :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd rather great gameplay over graphics any day.

It's not like the Wii graphics will be crap anyway, from the video's I've seen (Red Steel / Metroid Prime etc.) they look pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

zabbo wrote:
    I'd rather great gameplay over graphics any day.

It's not like the Wii graphics will be crap anyway, from the video's I've seen (Red Steel / Metroid Prime etc.) they look pretty good.

All this talk about great gameplay but it's not as though the 360 has bad gameplay. Most of the games I've played have had sharp controls and the joypad is arguably the best ever, I certainly think it is.
    All the hands on impressions I've read of the Wii were pretty much saying it was ok, not great. I don't deny that you need longer than a few minutes to get used to the new controls but to imply that just because the joypad is different that the wii will automatically have superior gameplay to the other consoles, before anyone here has even played the thing, seems a bit crazy to me.
    I'm not denying the wii could possibly have better gameplay but nobody here knows if it will or not and just saying it's ok that the gaphics aren't great cos the gameplay is so good is silly since all we know is the graphics, nobody has experienced the gameplay.

Advertisement