Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet and Wireless

Options
  • 22-09-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I have been using an old Netopia 3346 as my new Eircom 2247NWG WIFI modem went astray in the post. Anyway I got the newer modem today and I am wondering would it be ok to set it up for both Ethernet and Wireless as the son wants to connect his PSP via WiFi or would this cause conflicts. I have a Netgear WG111T usb wireless adapter I could use to set up the WiFi. Given 1 choice I prefer the hard wired ethernet solution myself.

Another thing, I would have never thought a modem could affect internet connection speeds but with the old Netopia modem my d/l speed was 435kbps, but with the new Eircom modem the d/l speed is 657kbps, both tested via speedtest.ie several times. Funny enough the upload speed is the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You'll have no conflicts using ethernet and wireless simultaniously. That's what it's designed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I am wondering would it be ok to set it up for both Ethernet and Wireless
    As kaizersoze, that's exactly what it's desiged to do.
    Another thing, I would have never thought a modem could affect internet connection speeds but with the old Netopia modem my d/l speed was 435kbps, but with the new Eircom modem the d/l speed is 657kbps, both tested via speedtest.ie several times. Funny enough the upload speed is the same.
    The new modem may have better tolerance for "noise" on your line, and be abe to maintain a better DSL signal. It's not uncommon for people with marginal lines to find that some modems work better than others. (And if you're only getting 657kbps, your line must be at the outer range of what eircom will support).

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Thanks for the assistance guys, all sounds good. I here what you saying Foxwood and as my line only passed recently I accept that I'm a bit out of range but when one goes from 45.2kbps to 675kbps I'm not complaining especially as its only a 1MB connection. In fact the reason I only went for the 1MB product was due to the fact that I had my suspisions that my line was a bit out of range and if I got the 3MB product I might very well still only be getting say 2MB if even that in reality. I'm wondering now if I do ungrade to the 3MB product could I expect that 675kbps to be trebled(2025) or maybe it does not work that way and I could find myself with la lot ess than 2MB on a 3MB connection.

Check and post your modem line stats and you'll get a fair idea if your line is capable of much more. The danger of moving to a higher package on a dodgy line is the connection may become unstable and you'll suffer from regular disconnections.
    To check your line stats, log into your modem (http://192.168.1.254), enter "expert mode", click "statistics" and click "DSL".
    The stats you're looking for are:
    Max allowed speed (sync speed). Yours should be 1024 down & 128 up.
    Line attenuation (dB) down & up.
    SN Margin (dB) down & up.

Strangly enough since I setup the wireless adapter my d/l and u/p speeds have changed. They were 657/435, now they are 780/54(all checked with speedtest.ie). Anyway I have checked my settings and they read as follows:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 928 128
    SN Margin (dB) 3.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 86 3

• Advertisement

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 928 128
    SN Margin (dB) 3.50 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 86 3
    I'm afraid with those stats you probably won't get any more than a 1 meg connection on that line. It's not even syncing at the full 1024 as it is.
    SN Margin is very low and Line Attenuation is very high. I think you better leave well enough alone.

Thanks for that info, could save me a few bob in the long run. However I am more than happy with what I've got at the moment but coming from dial-up I suppose that would not be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

I currently have a 1 meg Eircom connection, and am thinking of upgrading to 2 meg (unlimited uploads). I'm quite a distance from the exchange, but seem to have a pretty solid connection at present.

My stats are:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.00 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.50 30.00
    CRC Errors 85 4

I believe the 45.5 db line attenuation might be just on the limit of a successful 2 meg connection? Any comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks..:)

Advertisement