Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget for self-building

Options
  • 22-09-2006 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been looking at doing a self build, but it seems prohibitively expensive. I'm tempted at this point to buy a 2nd-hand road bike for parts and resell the frame.

Have a look at my budget here.
    Self-built 105: €1,614.63
    Tiagra and pre-made wheelset: €1,281.60
    Tiagra from shop: €1,050.00

Any other ideas? Looks like I'll have to buy from the shop otherwise.

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You don't need many tools to put a bike together - what exactly are you missing? You're counting a workstand as part of the price?

Get a shop to build the wheels: saving over €200

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah, I don't have the workstand already unfortunately. I know I can use it again, but it's still an upfront cost :)

The wheels are expensive to build alright - twice the price of a built set. Again I'd be able to use them to eventually save cash on new wheels, but it's still a lot.

pricecomparisonxf3.th.gif

That Ultegra groupset is good price, eh? Oops, that one's not in the linked spreadsheet - update here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You'll have to build five pairs of wheels to make up the cost. I wouldn't bother unless you have a strong urge to build them yourself. A workstand isn't essential, especially if you're trying to keep costs down.

You're getting a bit carried away with the spreadsheets...;)

Just buy the frame and make up the rest as you go along...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Morgan wrote:
    You'll have to build five pairs of wheels to make up the cost. I wouldn't bother unless you have a strong urge to build them yourself. A workstand isn't essential, especially if you're trying to keep costs down.

I got price from Cyclelogical of ~1,450 for built up with Ultegra, Mavic Open Pro wheels, finishing kit. I reckon I can do that for 1,200 myself, buying the wheels.
    Morgan wrote:
    You're getting a bit carried away with the spreadsheets...;)

I'm an engineer. Measure twice, cut once eh? :)

Advertisement