Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Revive or replace concrete drive

• 23-09-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bit lengthy, but I would appreciate any views or experience of similar work. We have a standard semi with a bit of extra front as we are an end house. The front has 1. a pretty sound but rather sad concrete original drive with extra bits of original path across the front of the house (and a patch of lawn), and 2. a quite large patch of concrete in very poor condition to the side on the extra width. Overall it is fairly level but the piecemeal development of garage, drains etc has left some slightly difficult slopes.

The main problem with re-doing the frontage appears to be the cost of removing all the concrete, plus the risk of damaging pipes, cables etc that are probably embedded in it. I've looked at paving - one guy, the most expensive, assured me that some of the paving could be laid over some of the concrete, which I doubt. I also feel that the cost could not be justified by the value it would put on the house, though I might do it on the basis that I live here and want it to look nice. Another quoted on the basis that I would get someone else to remove and tip the old concrete. People keep telling me not to get paving as it grows grass and weeds, but I've not seen very much evidence of this problem.

I was told by another person that new concrete wasn't a possibility because of the levels, which made a reasonable amount of sense. I asked about tarmac, but I don't really want plain black. I was told that tar with embedded chips or pebbles was old fashioned and no-one was doing it now! And apparantly coloured tarmac is only available in Dublin. Could you put tarmac over concrete?

I'm prepared to pay for a good job, but I'm a bit baffled by the wide range of information and prices I've been given. I haven't been entirely convinced by anyone so far. It must be a common enough situation, has anyone any observations or suggestions? Any recommended firms (South East)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi

doesnt sound like enough tar can be laid to (thickness wise) make it work.

it may be possible to put a skim coat od concrete on top of the existing concreted area. Is difficult, but may be your best option.

Have you got photos which you could post? may be able to shine more light on the issue.

By the way, it doesnt matter what you do to your dwelling to improve the price unless you ant to sell and its a sellers market at the moment. You dont have to do anything to a house. One house in an area is worth the same as the next, generally.

The money would be better of being spent on solar pannels/insulation in the attic/etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭duckegg

There are companies out there now laying concrete and then imprint a design which then can be painted have seen this done and can look fab i will try and find the name out and get back to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

As requested, can we have a few pics please.
    it may be possible to put a skim coat od concrete on top of the existing concreted area. Is difficult, but may be your best option.

Not a runner really.
    There are companies out there now laying concrete and then imprint a design which then can be painted
    Brutal IMO:)

The main problem with re-doing the frontage appears to be the cost of removing all the concrete,this is not the case the big money is in the preping and finishing after the concrete is gone, unless u have zero access for machines plus the risk of damaging pipes, cables etc that are probably embedded in it. possible but a bit of research re manhole covers etc will see what pipes are thereI've looked at paving - one guy, the most expensive, assured me that some of the paving could be laid over some of the concrete, which I doubt.u are right, no way let thm do that
    Pics please:) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Removing concrete isn't that expensive, however you also have to factor in disposal charges, and typically a Grab Truck will cost € 300 + VAT/load.

Poor or weakened concrete is a poor base for any new surface. Best to remove and replace with new.

Slabbing existing concrete (if in reasonable condition) should not be a problem, so long as new slabs are laid on wet sand/cement. The latter is essential for weed free joints over time, dry mixes can be problematic.

Re Tarmac, relatively inexpensive, but limited lifespan, best grades typically 10 years, and disposing of tarmac which is now classified as hazardous waste is expensive.

Never good to sell driveways on incremental value add to site /property, however there is no doubt a driveway constructed from natural stone and /or combination of natural stone and chips not only is a very prudent solution but also looks very good. It is the latter that impacts on people's sense of looks and consequently if it looks better, it's valued more etc.

Natural stone is available in a range of colourways, avoid the sometimes more expensive concrete base mimics and select from granite, limestone or sandstone which are also available in matching kerbing, setts and chipped stones for a coherent natural choice. Finally be wise and practical when selecting colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭duckegg

thats very sound advice Sonnenblumen fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thankyou to everyone who has offered ideas/views. Some interesting points that I would like to pursue (with pictures!) but something has come up - not in the drive :D and I cant follow up the discussion for the moment. I'll post again when I can get back to it. Cheers!

Advertisement