Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom:how does one go about getting a static ip

Options
  • 23-09-2006 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

hey there
    im currently on eircon broadbands 2MB package and i was looking to get a static ip as i run a node on an irc server and they have to change my ip on the main node everytime the ipchhanges and dynamic dns wont work in my situation and in the long run it would come in handy
    so what exactly do i have to do and how much would it cost etc etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Go to http://support.eircom.net

Click on Broadband Support.

Type static in the Search box.

Press Go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

To be able to get static IP address, you HAVE to be on an eircom business package.
    Then phone eircom 1800 203 204 to request a static IP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some other providers give you effectively a Static IP and other may be cheaper. A static IP from Eircom is not cheap. Nor is Business pack. Check out BT and Digiweb prices. I don't know if they cheaper, but worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

use dynamic dns updater,it will allow you to have a fixed dns name which point to your dynamic eircom ip address.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/ - for more information

http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/ - for the client software

best of all it FREE

Perhaps the OP can't run the client sw 24x 7 to update the IP automatically? He said dynamic dns doesn't work for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

it would work only the main node in the irc server doesnt support hostnames only ip addresses so everytime it changed i have to notify them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've enquired about this with BT. if you really want an IRC server go rent one of those VPS that support IRC, cheapest I saw was $15 p/m online. Most hosts ban the port 6667 but some rent them soely for IRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

its fine as long as my modem stays on and when it goes off i tell the admin and he updates it on his end bit awkward but meh eircom do a business package with static ip and 3MB/384k for €45 a month a fiver more than what i pay now on the 2MB package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€45 + VAT surely , €55 that is. static extra

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    €45 + VAT surely , €55 that is. static extra
    Indeed it is €45 + vat but static IP is included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

JohnnieM wrote:
    To be able to get static IP address, you HAVE to be on an eircom business package.
    Then phone eircom 1800 203 204 to request a static IP

Unlikely seeing as I have a static IP address and I'm not on a business package. And to remove a few of the other misconceptions in this thread, business packages are generally the same as the home packages and if I recall it was something in the region of €50 once off for a static IP address. It's tricky enough to get eircom.net (as opposed to ADSL sales) to set it up. It usually requires a few phone calls to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

They seem to be more strict on having a business package now. I know someone who asked for a static ip last week, but was told they needed to be on a business package. They then asked to get a business package only to be told their line wasn't good enough for business broadband! They're located on the main street in my town!
    Blaster99 wrote:
    if I recall it was something in the region of €50 once off for a static IP address
    Yea, it's a €50 once off fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

If its any good as as far as I know Netsource give fixed ip with all packages (free)..Supposed to be a business account too but ya can just put your own name in the company part of the application...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

the charity i do voluntary work for have the 39.99euro a month 2mbps home broadband package and they have a static IP which they dont pay extra for each month, they may have paid a one off fee but im not aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Hi,

Does anyone have any information for BB at home with a static IP in Limerick city? Is eircom still the only option?

thanks

no. various people, BT, Digiweb etc will do a static IP. Maybe even Smart & Magnet.
    I'm on static Metro IP in Co. Limerick as is my daughter in Limerick City.
    BT do LLU even in some Limerick areas. (Raheen/Doradoyle/Mungret at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

I'm still not clear if I can make a service like Dyndns work with an eicom BB connection. Do they have some stupid way of stopping this service working so that they can sell static IP addresses?

I'm going mad trying to make Dyndns work with an eircom Netopia router. It works for a while when I set it up but won't update to the new IP address when it changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement