Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate customs...

• 23-09-2006 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

This is my mail tracking status:
    22-Sep-2006 Ireland Handed over to the Customs Office for clearance.
    22-Sep-2006 Ireland Arrived and is being processed.

Bloody a$$holes are gonna charge me now...how come everyone else gets away with it?!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its just luck of the draw.

What has this to do with Airsoft and Paintball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Its an airsoft order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You were just unlucky to be caught, how much did you pay for the item? I think its a percentage of what you paid or could be based on weight.

It aint arrived yet so I dont know, but Im assuming unless customs are complete f***tards then Ill be recieving a bill off them soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ah.

Well, they only pull a certain number of parcels a day, every now and again I get charged particularly if whatever it is ships with a courier company.

I think the charge is based on a percentage of the cost of the item.

• Advertisement

Harekin wrote:
    It aint arrived yet so I dont know, but Im assuming unless customs are complete f***tards then Ill be recieving a bill off them soon.

Depending on how it is delivered (perhaps by courier) then you will have to pay the courier or as you said you will receive a bill.:(

Ill probably have to pay the courier...thing is, I dont usually have 80 euro cash on me...what happens if I cant pay?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

"The Post Office will keep a hold on your package until someone collects it. If no one picks it up in less than 7 days, it is sent back to the original supply, in this case back to Hong Kong."

from the lik-sang forum. how true that is, i havent a clue. if it is, its a pretty sh!tty thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Harekin wrote:
    Ill probably have to pay the courier...thing is, I dont usually have 80 euro cash on me...what happens if I cant pay?!
    Presumably it'll be delivered to your gaf, so can you not arrange to have 80 blips there in order to pay him?

DaveMcG wrote:
    Presumably it'll be delivered to your gaf, so can you not arrange to have 80 blips there in order to pay him?
    Yeah but what if Im not expecting them and dont have said "80 blips" in my pocket?

• Advertisement

Keep the 80 blips somewhere safe in the house, not in your pocket ;) Then whoever's there can take the package and pay the money if you tell them where it is (should you happen to not be there).

I dunno, just ideas!

I dont mean it like that, I mean what if I dont have cash to pay them when they arrive. Nevermind.

Okey doke, sorry :o

Master of the Universe

you take the package into your house, assemble the gun really quickly, run back out and go rambo on their ass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

ok i assume you know the law right? or is it just blatant disregard, i hate to be the annoying person in a forum but o1s1n if a guard or someone comes on here and sees your thread on making your gun illegal AND you telling someone to threaten a postman with one it is not going to go down well and could be basis to get the law changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

whupass has a point.

Furthermore, you are supposed to pay your duty/taxes etc, so why the moan? In fact, most of us are importing away at junk and not getting asked to pay - if one in several is pulled what's the problem?

Some day the Customs will either be disolved or realise it's worth checking everything!

i know what it feels like to be put down like that o1s1n it's happened to me in the shooting forum dozens of times. (just ask sparks) so i say it in the kindest way possible.

Master of the Universe

okay i understand the point you were making about the upgrade, but i dont understand how modification is illegal. there is a 1j limit before you are required to have a FAC. if you have a FAC, its perfectly legal to preform. people in the shooting forum arent banned for giving out information that would be illegal for a non FAC holder to try out.

the other comment was made in jest. anyone who takes it any other way needs to have their head examined.

saying that, i do really want to see airsoft flourish in this country. been waiting long enough! so, i'll be careful of my posts in future. just in case...

oh and i know what you mean about the shooting forum. i've seen some really derogatory and condescending comments made towards airsofters simply wanting some information.

ah well, got our own forum now. :)

yea i agree with you on the shooting.

do you have a license for your airsoft gun then?

Master of the Universe

no i do not. and for that reason its being downgraded. plus i also want to be able to skirmish with it. believe it or not, it did actually work. pity it upgraded it so much. did the poor mans chrono and it came in at 1.17j. would have been nice if it just brought it up to the 1j mark. i used this trick on a really low powered springer i have. (no, not to turn it into a super high power illegal weapon). just to bring it closer to the 1j mark. worked too. (we're not talking crap tape here, its teflon plumber tape, the kind that stops gas leaking, or in this case, air.)
    but anyhow, due to the nature of this topic, i'm going to shut up.
    maybe one day we'll have an airsoft specific legislation, and the legal limit brought up to the more realistic 1.37j like the UK. *fingers crossed* (for snipers only however, i really dont like the idea of being shot with an upgraded AEG!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

o1s1n wrote:
    "The Post Office will keep a hold on your package until someone collects it. If no one picks it up in less than 7 days, it is sent back to the original supply, in this case back to Hong Kong."

from the lik-sang forum. how true that is, i havent a clue. if it is, its a pretty sh!tty thing to do.
    After 7days it's sent back to the sender as a refused package, the courier is the one in charge of passing on charges and the payment is handed over to them... The post office has no involvement in it

yea that would hurt, ok so now back to topic.

harekin you got a call yet?

No not yet...it'll probably happen tomorrow when Im on college and not there to take the package.

UPDATE: Customs still have my freakin gun...what the hell are they doing with it?! Bet they're chrono'ing it, the fags. Wrecking my battery(not charging it properly) and using my BB's.

Master of the Universe

they're probabaly reusing a few bbs thinking that they're doing you a favour.
    better order a new gearbox now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Harekin wrote:
    UPDATE: Customs still have my freakin gun...what the hell are they doing with it?!

I bet the guys had right fun with it in the customs warehouse today, a few skirmishes and all :p:p. Ah no, they're taking there time alright, wonder whats going on :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

is it an post or a courier thats delivering it? Im pretty sure they had my ehobby order for a good few days too.

Its "supposed" to be a courier service but considering it was shipped from Hong Kong last Wednesday I wouldn't say its exactly brilliant...scumbags have had it 2 working days now...what the hell are they up to?

Master of the Universe

what goodies does the package contain anyway?

• Advertisement

An AEG, 2 mags, two batteries, a charger and some BB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Customs don't usually hold on to something for any significant length unless there is a back-log or they're dubious of it. As to the cost, last time I got hit for it it was about 25% of the value.

They've had it three days now (excluding the weekend!)

Update: Tomorrow will be the forth day it'll be in their grubby hands, I emailed them but of course recieved no reply.

EDIT: Pity they aint so good at stopping heroin, etc from getting into our country.

Imagine the amount of things customs have to go through though, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Hopefully you'll have it by the end of the week.

So why pick more parcels to inspect if your workload is already too much?

• Advertisement

I have no idea, I just guess they are swamped with the amount of parcels coming into the country. Maybe there is a back-log of some sort.

I paid €70 for a courier service, am I gonna get some kind of refund for the long delay? Yeah right!

UPDATE: Its now day five and theres still no sign of movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Trying giving them a ring and find out what the hold up is

I emailed them and I got a response saying she couldn't check based on the parcel number and she wanted my name. Of course that was two days ago and no response since. Anytime I tried to ring them I got a "Number Busy" on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Make sure to double check their calculations, the last 2 things i imported got stung for duty, but they calculated the value in euros instead of usd's
    they tried to get me to pay 35euro on a package which had a stated value of 90 us dollers including shipping

Well guys another update, and a slightly more disturbing one at that...I was talking to a guy and he said his gun was infact impounded and his is in the same place as mine and arrived a day earlier...Im well ringing them on Monday to complain. Its was a week yesterday (Friday) they have my gun.

Master of the Universe

there hasnt been some secret emergency bill passed banning the import of airsoft has there...? maybe they got scared after seeing so many fully automatic weapons coming through.
    what a nightmare that would be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Harekin wrote:
    Well guys another update, and a slightly more disturbing one at that...I was talking to a guy and he said his gun was infact impounded and his is in the same place as mine and arrived a day earlier...Im well ringing them on Monday to complain. Its was a week yesterday (Friday) they have my gun.

Was he given a reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Crikey!!! I hope there has not been some major change in customs. I just ordered my first gun (G3SG1) and paid €476 for the thing including shipping. It would be a real pain to have to go through having it sent back to the retailer and having to get my money back from them!! I hope you get on OK with customs Harekin. Did they give a reason to your mate or anything?

Nope, he just told me to ring them on Monday to assess the situation with my order.

Well guys I just rang customs in Portlaoise, they dont know where my ****ing parcel is! Nobody seems to know. I rang An Post and they have to do a ****ing depot search for it now. What a complete load of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Yay the Irish postal system, has to be the worst outside of disputed zones! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Jeez. I hope they find it quickly Harekin. I hate it when the post loses your package... it has happened to me a few times but got it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

:/ hope they find it dude. What happens if they cant? you get full refund from anPost or customs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement