Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's enough! Blame PCWORLD

Options
  • 23-09-2006 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi !

I just want to inform You about how PCWorld selling computers and other stuff. Let's start from the beginin'.

I bought almost one year ago my Compaq Presario SR1819 , everything was working perfect till last 4 weeks. My lcd screen stopped working. When I pushed PoweOn button after about 10 seconds screen dissapeard.I've checked the cables;drivers;everything was ok, strange thing was that my other LCDTV was working perfect at the same time (LCD and LCDTV are connected together to GF7600GT). I've taken my reseed and my screen to PCWORLD in Limerick (Parkway). Guys from service center/customer service taken my lcd and connected it - what a shame for me - lcd was working perfectly! Geez ok sorry for that I'm taking it to my home. Suprisely, I connected my LCD and.. everything was fine..but after 4 hours of using it the problem has returned. From my lcd I could hear something like "bzzzz brr bzzz" and the screen was flashing off and on. Next day my girlfriend go to PC World once again with LCD - Test duration time about 4hours and they didn't find anything , they trying explain my girl that the main problem is with my computer not the screen, and if we bring again this lcd they will not test it because this is not a problem with screen. She told me that and I started to diagnose my computer - I changed all components including PSU,GFX,MOBO,CPU,RAM - and the problem with flashing/blinking/turning on/off screen is still here but on my lcdtv still everything is ok.Enought..next day (3rd day) I taken my lcd to my work to test it on other computers. Almost one hour later my screen connected to other computer stopped working exacly the same as in my home - blank screen ,strange sounds from inside. I tested it on other 5 computers (2 laptops+3 desktops) and problem didn't dissapeard.I asked my manager to give me a quick note about the problem because PCWORLD didn't trusted me and they wanted me to pay for another test.He gave me a note..and I went again to pcworld with my lcd..I wanted to speak with manager of PCWORLD - he came to me and told me that they already tested it and this is a problem with my computer not screen, geez right now I was pissed off extremely, I show them note from other company that they found a problem in one hour and the "experts" from PCWORLD could not find any within 5 hours! Manager from PCWORLD (after almost 30 minutes of talking about nothing) said that they want to test it again and I must leave my screen for the night- I agreed with that and with this that if They will find any problem , automaticly they replace lcd to new one or they will give me money back - WITHOUT SENDING TO ANOTHER SERVICE (note this that I bought it on 22/10/05). OK so I went to my home and I started waiting for another day (day 4th). Next day - after work again I went to PCWORLD and.. guys from customer serivce told me that they found the problem after 20hours(!!!) and they want to send this to repair center in UK propably. I asked about manager...and what I saw - different manager who told me that this manager with I was speakin' before don't know about the rules in shop and they must send it to repair center and they can't provide for me any replacement or give the new one...! What ? Yesterday different manager was telling me different story so what next? She told me that (the 2nd manager) will send this to repair centre and it will take one...maximum 2 weeks. I surrender.. ok I wait this f*** 2 weeks... After almost 2 weeks of waiting somebody from pcworld rang me with question "Did you collect alredy your LCD? I said no! When it will be available and why You asking me about that? Ymmm ymm just asking so try to call us next week (so it will be 3rd week of waiting). Oh! no! Yesterday 2 weeks of promissed waiting were finished. Today I went to PCWORLD again with my reseed and guarantee paper. I asked someone from CS about my LCD - he couldn't find it..so once ogain I asked to speak with manager and what a suprise! I meet 1st manager who said before "if the "experts" will find a problem ther replace the broken to another one (new) or they give me money back" - answer for my question about "I need my lcd now" was - sorry we can give another one when it's no older than 28 days so You must wait.. - How long I must wait, you promissed me that You wil replace this to another one without sending back and what is maximum time of waiting for it - WE DON'T HAVE MAXIMUM TIME OF WAITING - IF SERVICE WILL REPAIR IT THEN WE TRANSFER IT TO YOU - so I can wait another year for it? - No! we trying to finish everything as soon as possible! But other companies have maximum 21 period time of waiting - SORRY - DIFFERENT SHOP - DIFFERENT RULES. Do You belive it! ?!? I was shocked ! I don't know what can I do right now! My guarantee will finish in 22/10/06 , I asked why somebody called to me with questions did I collected my screen - he said he don't know nothing about it - he also don't know what the other manager said to me..this is paranoic ! He show me the report that some company sent already my screen from UK and it will be available in next week but truely they don't know when they can expect the delivery. So i Warn You all - beaware of PCWORLD- You can give them something and wait long loooong time, also the Customer Service trying to make from U an idiot and they telling all the same stories over again. This was my last buy in this ****ty shop! Also managers are covering themselfs by telling that they not remember that they don't know nothing. :mad:

Sorry for my bad English , please pass this to other if U can..

Thank U and Best Regards

Mariv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

MariV wrote:
    Hi !

I just want to inform You about how PCWorld selling computers and other stuff. Let's start from the beginin'.

I bought almost one year ago my Compaq Presario SR1819 , everything was working perfect till last 4 weeks. My lcd screen stopped working. When I pushed PoweOn button after about 10 seconds screen dissapeard.I've checked the cables;drivers;everything was ok, strange thing was that my other LCDTV was working perfect at the same time (LCD and LCDTV are connected together to GF7600GT).

I've taken my reseed and my screen to PCWORLD in Limerick (Parkway). Guys from service center/customer service taken my lcd and connected it - what a shame for me - lcd was working perfectly! Geez ok sorry for that I'm taking it to my home. Suprisely, I connected my LCD and.. everything was fine..but after 4 hours of using it the problem has returned. From my lcd I could hear something like "bzzzz brr bzzz" and the screen was flashing off and on.

Next day my girlfriend go to PC World once again with LCD - Test duration time about 4hours and they didn't find anything , they trying explain my girl that the main problem is with my computer not the screen, and if we bring again this lcd they will not test it because this is not a problem with screen. She told me that and I started to diagnose my computer - I changed all components including PSU,GFX,MOBO,CPU,RAM - and the problem with flashing/blinking/turning on/off screen is still here but on my lcdtv still everything is ok.

Enought..next day (3rd day) I taken my lcd to my work to test it on other computers. Almost one hour later my screen connected to other computer stopped working exacly the same as in my home - blank screen ,strange sounds from inside. I tested it on other 5 computers (2 laptops+3 desktops) and problem didn't dissapeard.I asked my manager to give me a quick note about the problem because PCWORLD didn't trusted me and they wanted me to pay for another test.He gave me a note..and I went again to pcworld with my lcd..

I wanted to speak with manager of PCWORLD - he came to me and told me that they already tested it and this is a problem with my computer not screen, geez right now I was pissed off extremely, I show them note from other company that they found a problem in one hour and the "experts" from PCWORLD could not find any within 5 hours! Manager from PCWORLD (after almost 30 minutes of talking about nothing) said that they want to test it again and I must leave my screen for the night- I agreed with that and with this that if They will find any problem , automaticly they replace lcd to new one or they will give me money back - WITHOUT SENDING TO ANOTHER SERVICE (note this that I bought it on 22/10/05).

OK so I went to my home and I started waiting for another day (day 4th). Next day - after work again I went to PCWORLD and.. guys from customer serivce told me that they found the problem after 20hours(!!!) and they want to send this to repair center in UK propably. I asked about manager...and what I saw - different manager who told me that this manager with I was speakin' before don't know about the rules in shop and they must send it to repair center and they can't provide for me any replacement or give the new one...! What ? Yesterday different manager was telling me different story so what next? She told me that (the 2nd manager) will send this to repair centre and it will take one...maximum 2 weeks. I surrender.. ok I wait this f*** 2 weeks...

After almost 2 weeks of waiting somebody from pcworld rang me with question "Did you collect alredy your LCD? I said no! When it will be available and why You asking me about that? Ymmm ymm just asking so try to call us next week (so it will be 3rd week of waiting). Oh! no! Yesterday 2 weeks of promissed waiting were finished. Today I went to PCWORLD again with my reseed and guarantee paper. I asked someone from CS about my LCD - he couldn't find it..so once ogain I asked to speak with manager and

what a suprise! I meet 1st manager who said before "if the "experts" will find a problem ther replace the broken to another one (new) or they give me money back" - answer for my question about "I need my lcd now" was - sorry we can give another one when it's no older than 28 days so You must wait.. - How long I must wait, you promissed me that You wil replace this to another one without sending back and what is maximum time of waiting for it - WE DON'T HAVE MAXIMUM TIME OF WAITING - IF SERVICE WILL REPAIR IT THEN WE TRANSFER IT TO YOU - so I can wait another year for it? - No! we trying to finish everything as soon as possible! But other companies have maximum 21 period time of waiting - SORRY - DIFFERENT SHOP - DIFFERENT RULES.

Do You belive it! ?!? I was shocked ! I don't know what can I do right now! My guarantee will finish in 22/10/06 , I asked why somebody called to me with questions did I collected my screen - he said he don't know nothing about it - he also don't know what the other manager said to me..this is paranoic ! He show me the report that some company sent already my screen from UK and it will be available in next week but truely they don't know when they can expect the delivery. So i Warn You all - beaware of PCWORLD- You can give them something and wait long loooong time, also the Customer Service trying to make from U an idiot and they telling all the same stories over again. This was my last buy in this ****ty shop! Also managers are covering themselfs by telling that they not remember that they don't know nothing. :mad:

Sorry for my bad English , please pass this to other if U can..

Thank U and Best Regards

Mariv

Couldn't read that without paragraphs.

You need to read your warranty and see what that says. Is there a clause about maximum waiting times? When something goes in for repair?

Problem here MariV is that you didn't know your rights, and neither did that manager. After a period of time, a retailer has the right not to replace a faulty product with a new replacement, but is entitled to try and repair it. How long this should take and often theres a clause in the warranty about it. After X weeks if we can't fix it, we'll replace it.

Its all on their website...
    http://www.pcworld.ie/customerService.aspx
    Our Refund and Exchange Policy

If your product develops a fault within seven days of purchase we will repair it, exchange it or refund your money.

If a fault develops within twenty eight days of purchase and within the product agreement guarantee period, we will repair it for you.

All products sold through PC World are covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.

On most hardware products this is 12 months after purchase and unlike most suppliers we can offer on-site service absolutely free of charge.

If we cannot repair your product within 28 days of receiving it, we will exchange it for a similar item (this does not apply to clearance, previously owned or display products). We can only exchange faulty software for the same title.

This policy does not affect your legal rights.

So basically they have 28days, basically a month in which to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MariV

So basically they have 28days, basically a month in which to fix it.

I know about my rights! But I'm only telling You what they said. I can wait even month or two for it - as Manager said. Also on my warranty there is nothing about period for fix my screen. Another thing is that they didn't excuse me for non professional care of my screen (sending me back to home) and making from me an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Can we stick to English please.

• Advertisement

MariV wrote:
    I know about my rights! But I'm only telling You what they said. I can wait even month or two for it - as Manager said. Also on my warranty there is nothing about period for fix my screen. Another thing is that they didn't excuse me for non professional care of my screen (sending me back to home) and making from me an idiot.

Well that doesn't make sense. Why did you go through all that rubbish with PC World if you knew your rights, and conditions of the warranty. Personally I would have queried that manager why he was giving out wrong information. I would also have asked for what he said in wriring or at least a copy of it. As if it was policy they should have a hard copy of it somewhere, or on the website. Perhaps as a manager he himself has the power to make a replacement himself, outside of the official warranty. Maybe thats what he was talking about who knows. But you should have clarified it with him.

PC support is difficult and many problems are hard to find and replicate. If they can't replicate it, then what are they meant to do. As far as they know there isn't a problem with the product. So you have to have patience and help them see the problem.

Thats just a fact of life of trouble shooting PC problems. If a problem is random or happens after a long time this should be made clear, and the product should be tested for 24 or even 48 hours. If this is not made clear they might assume after a shorter test period that the problem is with something else.

That just the nature of PC support and dealing with aftersales support. Its not great, but that seems to be how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

1) ignore that comment about the english u use it seems fine to me.

2) Always ask the name of any person you talk to, keep a diary of dates and times, Print out a copy of their policy and bring it with you.

3) should you go to small court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MariV

Thank U for comments , I'm going there on Tuesday I think..then I will collect all names details etc etc.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I had difficulty with PC World in the past, however the important part is that I could genuinely see that the manager wanted to fix the issue. I understood that it was a communication issue, which seems to be a problem with PC World (probably not the only ones either). I was given compensation for my troubles and I was happy enough with that.

nick 56 wrote:
    3) should you go to small court

Why? They are dealing with it as per their warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

PC support is difficult and many problems are hard to find and replicate.

You hit the nail on the head there.

Losing your head at the manager/customer service rep. isn't going to get you anywhere. Speaking from experience, if someone is nice to you, then their problem is easier to solve, then someone who comes in shouting and screaming, if you know what i mean.

Believe it or not, the managers there don't want to be bothered standing up and coming to talk to you all the time. They'd rather it be sorted too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nuttzy wrote:
    Can we stick to English please.

Can we have some tolerance here please,the OP has stated that English is not his/her first language.

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

What's your problem here? Their policy is there on the site in black and white, they have 28 working days to sort it, if not then they have to replace it. Seriously the guy might have said two weeks but who is he? Some nobody manager that probably just wanted to get rid of you to be honest. He probably sent one away before and it took two weeks to get fixed so that was an educated guess. No matter what he said he doesn't decide the policy no more than you do.

Advertisement