Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A - Week4

• 23-09-2006 9:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Preview

Palermo head to Empoli on a high

MILAN, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Top of the table Palermo go into Serie A's fourth round of games on Sunday with a maximum of nine points, as Sicilian football enjoys a rare moment in the spotlight.

For three decades the island's teams have languished in the lower divisions but on Wednesday Palermo went clear at the top of Serie A with a 5-3 derby victory over Catania and head to Empoli on a high.

Catania, who have also impressed, face second-placed Messina in another all-Sicily encounter on Saturday but it is Palermo's start to the season that has caught Italy's attention.

Five different players were on target against Catania, but while Palermo have scored more goals (11) than any other side they also have the worst defensive record - conceding seven in a record matched only by Reggina.

'We are showing that we are a team that has plenty of sources for goals and which produces good football,' said coach Francesco Guidolin after the derby victory.

'But we need to keep our concentration levels higher while keeping our prolific record in front of goal,' he added.

While Palermo enjoy their first spell alone at the top of the table, champions Inter are hoping they can catch up quickly and prove why they were clear pre-season favourites.

Roberto Mancini's side made a stuttering start to the season but on Wednesday they finally looked the part in an impressive 1-0 win at Roma.

Inter will be without Patrick Vieira for Sunday's home game with Chievo after the French midfielder was sent off in Rome.

Mancini left out Brazilian striker Adriano, who has looked well short of his best, and opted for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hernan Crespo in attack against Roma with the latter grabbing the winner.

Inter and Mancini have already come in for criticism but Wednesday's win will ease some of the pressure.

Juventus's relegation to Serie B and the eight-point penalty inflicted on AC Milan in the match-fixing scandal led to Inter becoming favourites to win the 'scudetto' and their patchy early season form led to some criticism in the media.

'We knew that at the first false step they would be on to us, but we didn't let that bother us,' said Mancini's assistant Sinisa Mihajlovic.

Milan have already wiped out their penalty points with three consecutive wins and they will expect to extend their 100 percent start away to Livorno.

'Obviously we couldn't have done more than we have,' said coach Carlo Ancelotti, 'But the road is still long and we have a lot of ground to make up.'

TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    17:00 UK Livorno v AC Milan Stadio Armando Picchi
    19:30 UK Catania Calcio v Messina

Sunday, September 24, 2006
    TIME HOME AWAY VENUE
    14:00 UK Ascoli v Sampdoria Stadio del Duca
    14:00 UK Empoli v Palermo Carlo Castellani
    14:00 UK Inter Milan v Chievo Verona San Siro
    14:00 UK Lazio v Atalanta Stadio Olimpico
    14:00 UK Parma v Roma Ennio Tardini
    14:00 UK Reggina v Torino Stadio Granillo
    14:00 UK Siena v Cagliari Artemio Franchi
    19:30 UK Udinese v Fiorentina Friuli

Live game on on Setanta is Udinese v Fiorentina

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Milan droped points away to Livorno. I can see Milan doing this a few times,

Great reulst for Livorno, Inter and Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah, hopfully Inter can take advantage and get a win today. Is Ibra going to be starting? I heard he might not be fit enough, it would be nice to see Adriano get a start with Crespo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dor83 wrote:
    Is Ibra going to be starting? I heard he might not be fit enough, it would be nice to see Adriano get a start with Crespo.

He is in the squad but no team yet

Edit: He just had a kid and thats why he wasnt training yesterday

He's on the bench (12)JULIO CESAR (4)ZANETTI J. (2)CORDOBA (25)SAMUEL (11) GROSSO(5) STANKOVIC (15) DACOURT (21) SOLARI (7) FIGO (18) CRESPO
    (10) ADRIANO. Thats the line up, I'll have to wait til tonight to see the game, Bravo are showing it at 7.

Seems like a cracker of an Inter game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kearnsr wrote:
    Edit: He just had a kid and thats why he wasnt training yesterday
    :D

I'd say that was sore.

seansouth wrote:
    :D

I'd say that was sore.

As I said thats why he wasnt playing!

Just noticed Roma had a fine wine. Thought Parma might do something this season. But they seem to be getting worse and worse. I meet the squad last year and they all seemed to be having a good laugh and I thought that this was a team that could do something. Dunno what happened to them!

Seems little else went on this week in the league. Good few sendings off but not many goals (except in Inters and Romas games!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Jesus just seen the results...

Are Inter taking the p1ss this season or what? 3-0 down v Roma in the Supercup they win 4-3, 3-0 up against Fiorentina but only win 3-2, then 4-0 up today after 70 minutes only to win 4-3!

Strange team.

yeah, Inter looked a bit dodgy but at least they won. Adriano loooked lively today and seemed to link well with Crespo. Also Dacourt played well and I think taking him off changed the game. It looks like being an interesting season. If it stays like this the milan derby could either put Milan in or knock them out of the title race. Roll on Oct 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

dor83 wrote:
    yeah, Inter looked a bit dodgy but at least they won. Adriano loooked lively today and seemed to link well with Crespo. Also Dacourt played well and I think taking him off changed the game. It looks like being an interesting season. If it stays like this the milan derby could either put Milan in or knock them out of the title race. Roll on Oct 29th.

Have a feelkng that Milan will win both this season, they know each one will be worth 6 points in the title race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So just how bad are Parma these days? Used to support them back in the glory days of Asprilla, Crespo, Buffon, Thuram, Dino Baggio, Brolin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

bohsman wrote:
    So just how bad are Parma these days? Used to support them back in the glory days of Asprilla, Crespo, Buffon, Thuram, Dino Baggio, Brolin etc
    Yeah me too, them and Batistuta's Fiorentina were the only Italian teams I ever cared about. Parma should go back to wearing all white.

bohsman wrote:

I thought they'd do well this year and havent a clue what happened to them. I was gona go with a top 6 finish but they could do down. Mind you with 3 teams who had points taken off them are more than likely to go down. Milan arent included in that as the are all ready in positive figures.

Advertisement