Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats fighting

Options
  • 23-09-2006 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody has any advice for me! My two cats fight! One is six years old and I've had him for about four years. The other is four years old and I've had him for one year. I was careful with the introduction when I got Harry a year ago. They would only meet for a few minutes at a time. There are no injuries from the fighting and they can be in the same room for hours without fighting. On very few occasions they have cuddled up together or at least slept side by side but that was because both wanted to be beside me!! If I break them up, it's Harry who runs off and Smokey who stays behind with me. For the first couple of months I didn't break up the fights thinking they needed to sort it out between themselves. Smokey is the grumpy one and I actually think Harry approaches Smokey for a play but Smokey turns it into a fight. Any ideas? Or have I just got two cats who both want to be top cat and neither will concede!! I'm not too worried about the fighting but it would be nice to see them cuddle up together!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I think the general rule is that once there's no noise i.e. squealing, crying, hissing etc., that they are playing rather than fighting. If they were really fighting, you'd know all about it! It sounds to me like yours are just playing, so unless one is making disturbing noises and/or getting hurt, I wouldn't worry about it.

My two play fight all the time, when they were kittens the boy would hurt his sister due to over exuberance and the fact he is about twice the size of her, but they worked out an acceptable level of messing and there is never any crying etc. now - they just beat the cr@p out of each other and leg it around after each other :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

No, there isn't usually noise. The odd time one of them will let out a squeal and that's the end of that fight. But with their facial expressions and the tails swinging like mad, it doesn't look like play! Maybe I'll have a chat with Smokey and tell him to stop being so grumpy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

For the record, my cats make ALOT of noise when they're playing either with eachother or with the dogs. Sometimes it sounds like we're torturing them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

:)
    Knowing Harry, he's trying to play with a cat thats not into playing.
    Even though he was the only male we had, he was never the dominant one, quite the opposite. He seems to actually prefere *not* being top cat. However your other kitty may not believe or understand that.

Bearing in mind he was the only male in a 3 cat & 2 dog house for many years. And was often playful to the point of totally exhausting everyone else feline canine and human! But he is used to being around other playful animals. ;)

Harry probably needs to learn when the other kitty is'nt in the mood, and hes not that quick learning that particular thing. He will though.
    I'd recommend you get a laser pointer. He has a thing about them and somthing tells me the other boy will too, it will make them play together without focusing purely on eachother. That will tire clay out and bring them closer together. :)

B

Hi B,
    I'll try the laser point - would I get them in a pet shop? The funny thing is, Smokey was always trying to get Bandit (my cat who died) to play with him and Bandit always gave him the cold shoulder. So, I thought he'd love another cat who would play with him!

• Advertisement

I dont know if you are near a Maplins store (Theres one beside Blanchardstown shopping center) they sell them, if not let me know and Ill try track one down and post it to you, that would be a couple of weeks away though as I literally have 2 euro in my pocket lolol, but my sister is in blanchardstown every thursday so let me know).
    There are other Maplins stores around too. Somtimes also pound shop type places do them, but its rare.
    If you can buy online -> http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-2-in-1-Class-III-A-Laser-Pointer-LED-Torch-Key-Ring_W0QQitemZ150037640678QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for that. I work near the Maplins in town so I'll try there. They started rough and tumble this evening and before it got serious, I got a little torch and they were completly distracted by the light that they forgot they were about to launch into a fight!!!! Can't wait to get the laser pointer now!!

Yeah lol, he was always obsessed about the pointer.
    As for all the people who go on about how dangerous they are, as far as Im concerned as long as you take care not to shine it on their heads / eyes they are no more dangerous than a lot of toys. :)

B

Advertisement