Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best time of year to sell

Options
  • 23-09-2006 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Will be selling a 3-4 year old passat next year. What is the best time to sell privately? Do prices vary much over the year? (are they depressed in Jan/Feb/Mar with a flood of trad-ins, or at the end of the year due to the perceived ageing of the car on the 1st of Jan)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont sell in Sept (back to school bills) after early November (short days/bad weather and the number plate business) so sell in Spring (April/May) and summer before July as everyone goes missing on holidays (more bills).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Although if, like most, you have to sell your old car and buy your new at the same time then it really doesn't make much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Thanks Mike65 - more or less what I was guessing, although I was wondering if there is always such a pool of available 2nd hand cars that that the influences we are presuming have little practical effect.

Will just be selling and using another we have already, so it will make a difference if there is anything to be gained by picking the month to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The number of decent 2nd hand cars is vast compared to 5 and certainly 10 years ago, I think ppl still are unlikely to shift a car at the price they want without waiting an age, at certain times of year and lets face it once the clock goes forwards most of us are going to spend less time looking at cars.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

to sell - december - winter, rain - car is really needed
    to buy - from february - everybody wants to get 07' :D

that's what I heard... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Never had a problem selling a car in the first 3 months of the year, althou alot of people want a 07 there is also a massive number out there he want a newer model so second hand car can usually be sold pretty quick. You also have the large number of people who have decided to learn how to drive so there is a market there

Selling of car in summer is terrible because alot of people saving for the hols and dont want to miss a hol by buying a car!!

Never tried to sell in Autumn/Winter but just looking out of the office today I know the alast thing I would want to do when I get out of here is 2 go looking for a car

Advertisement