Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Query

Options
  • 23-09-2006 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a car radio from Argos. It was just a cheap Ministry of Sound one, but it was MP3, USB and a SD/MMC slot, so it would have done the job, especially as it's only my first car and I don't want anything fancy. Anyways, got it home, and got it installed, but had no radio signal. Had in the older radio. Took it to a mechanic and he said the radio was faulty as he tried it with an external antenna. In the meantime, since I couldn't get back into Argos, I just got another one (Kenwood this time!) from Harvey Norman, which I much prefer.

Now thing it, even though I only bought the radio less than a week ago, I can't find the receipt. All I have is my laser statment, which shows that on this day, I spent 150 in Argos (bought speakers for car as well as old one was blown). Am I entitled to a refund? I don't want anything else from Argos so I am loathe to accept a credit note. I would assume most retailers would have the ability to reprint receipts.

Tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Argos.ie wrote:
    If I change my mind?

# That's fine. Most things we sell are covered by our 16-day money-back guarantee. Just return them to any store, unused in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with the receipt, and we'll give you a refund.
    # If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have proof of purchase we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.

Looks like you'll need you receipt if you want to get your money back.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosStaticPageSecondLevel?storeId=30001&includeName=ReturnsAndRefunds.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Did you pay by cash or card? I brought a tv back to Aldi with an ATM statement showing the card purchase and they accepted that but then again Aldi have a pretty good returns policy. Still, worth a try if you paid by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If you bring your statement in and tell them it was faulty there shouldn't be a problem with them giving you a refund. I've known many people to do it. Good business practice more than a legality though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I work for Argos, and I would ony refund the radio if you have the receipt. The onus is on the customer to provide the proof of purchase. However, not all cases are alike, but there are a number of things I'd have to consider, such as, do you still have the complete packaging with the catalogue number on it? Do you know the exact date and time of when you bought the radio? If you do, the store could look it up for you. You will have to go back to the store you bought it from though. I'm not saying that they will refund you, as the radio will have to be inspected in store, before that decision can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In answer to a few questions.

I do have the orginal packaging with the catalog number on it.

I got it at around 1pm on the day I got it.

I paid via card so I have proof.

Will pop into them on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if its faulty then *you* decide if you want cash or a replacement or a credit note.
    If its a change of mind then its totally at the stores discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

GreeBo wrote:
    if its faulty then *you* decide if you want cash or a replacement or a credit note.
    If its a change of mind then its totally at the stores discretion.

Its the store that decides whether to Repair, Replace or Refund. If it is a very simple problem the store will repair it, many will choose to replace it or offer a refund. But that is their choice, not the customer's. - Always better to be nice and polite to the strore when returning the goods. www.odca.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just to update. Went in, explained it was faulty and not picking up radio reception. To be honest, and not that I'm complaining, the lady didn't seem to care. All she did was have a quick look at the catalogue number on the box, glance at my statement, and gave me a cash refund, even though I paid with laser and told her this beforehand. I also didn't have to sign anything which I thought was strange.

Anywho, happy out with the service, or lack thereof!! :)

I completely agree with mcaul. In fact, since I work in retail, I am extra aware of the fact. Had a guy into me last week who was being a real prick. His item was repaired previously, and it had stopped working. There were physical scratches on the unit, and he came storming in, demanding a refund etc. Told him not a chance, and it was away for another repair. Kept on throwing small claims court at me. Pretty funny stuff.

Advertisement