Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire universally poor?

Options
  • 23-09-2006 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've been looking through Boards and it appears that the general opinion of Clearwire is less than stellar. At the moment my choices for broadband are Digiweb Wireless, Clearwire and possibly Net1 (had the IBB guys out but it seems my signal was a "17" when I needed a "22"). Net1 were supposed to have coverage in my area by now but Ive been unable to confirm this so Ive decided to give them a miss.

My main interest is in online gaming and general downloading, from a price point of view Clearwire seems better. For 50 quid with Clearwire I'll get 2megs down 256kpbs up and 20gb cap, with Digiweb that will get me 1meg down, 256kps up and a 20gb cap. So considering my planned usage which service would people reccomend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nancy

i had clearwire for about six months. i was ecstatic when i first signed up, namely because they can get you up and running the same day you sign up.

service worked great for six months. after that, my speed dropped to around 100k down and an unusable 5kbps up. i spent about two months talking to tech support (who gave me lots of *super helpful* advice like, "clear out your cookies") and then i gave up. the problem with a shared service like clearwire is that you risk going thru very slow connection periods when the area you live in gets too many customers and clearwire waits as long as possible before investing in new gear to support all the users.

now the problem is that despite the fact that i cancelled the service in august, i'm still being billed for it. i called three times after i cancelled and got confirmations that it was cancelled. then i got another bill and was told they never recieved the modem so it wasn't ever cancelled. make sure to get your receipt from the post if you return their modem! i'm hoping that will help me but i won't hold my breath--i'm sure i'll be billed again and again...

anyway, didn't mean to get off on a complaint tangent, but i've been happy with digiweb so far. they hooked me up really quickly, two weeks. and so far the speed is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Uthred wrote:

My main interest is in online gaming and general downloading, from a price point of view Clearwire seems better. For 50 quid with Clearwire I'll get 2megs down 256kpbs up and 20gb cap, with Digiweb that will get me 1meg down, 256kps up and a 20gb cap. So considering my planned usage which service would people reccomend

I think the package from Digiweb you quote is 20 Euro inc phone. (Wireless, no physical line needed)

See http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=90&zzz=hm

€35 gets 3M , 512M & 30G

Unless you can't get Metro Wireless
    DSL Bitstream is:
    http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34
    About 30 Euro for 2M DSL and 24 Euro for 1M DSL.

So I don't know where you got the 50 Quid pricing?

Advertisement