Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Martin to go???

Options
  • 23-09-2006 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Do Spurs fans think its about time Martin Jol was given a little kick up the behind and told to get his act together??

A team like spurs needs to be doing much better.

Is it time for Martin to go?

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

In his first season he brings us from mid table mediocracy to the cusp of a champions league spot only missing out on it due to horrible luck. He gets us to our best finish ever in the league and gets us european football for the first time in 6 years. he then makes excellent signings during the summer giving us a team that should be well capable of getting european football.

So far we have lost to bolton,manu, and pool away(we got 1 point from these three fixtures last season), had a mediocre draw with fulham and had a terrible result losing at home to everton with a team that has three of its most important players injured(lennon, berbatov and malbranque). They are absolute undeniable facts.

Now sorry to be harsh but if any spurs fan believes on that evidence that martin jol has to go they are an absolute idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Even given the poor start Jol's done a very good job all in all. Getting rid of him now would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

gotta agree ...Jol to stay no question ... once we have 2 of the 3 injured players back then there will be a difference .... seasons far from over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This ties in with my thread a while back on realistic expectation. Sacking Jolnow would be a retarded move by Levy and the board, give the man the time to build a side for the future.

There does need to be a review of the purchasing policy at Spurs, we spent 6 months pursuing Routledge, antagonising Palace in the process, then loan him to Fulham when he's our only wide cover...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not a chance.

liverpool didnt start off much better than us last year and still managed a CL place. arsenal played crap for about 4 months solid, CL place.

i think we are still playing for a uefa cup place this year. i dont and didnt envisage us going to a CL place thisyear, so really, my expectations are still on track. although, i thought it would be decemeber til we lost 4 league games....

no, jol shouldnt go. remember, he lost 6-7 games on the trot when he first took over. but he got the team working and only just missed a uefa cup place 2 years ago.
    this time, we get the crap games out of the way first. the team will gel. at the moment the only problem is putting the ball in the net. as soon as keane starts getting a regular starting place and we get rid of that useless fecker defoe, i think we will see a different team. and once we start scoring, you just know that we are going to start putting away goals like theyre going out of fashion.

have a little faith, but i agree, in the mean time, dont book MOTD for your sky+ recording :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

we've been at the opposite end of the table after 3 or 4 games each year for a number of years, and in a number of instances finished mid table. I agree with WWM on this - he's earned his stay, and I certainly think he needs to be given a chance.

no, jol shouldnt go. remember, he lost 6-7 games on the trot when he first took over. but he got the team working and only just missed a uefa cup place 2 years ago.

Not quite Eamo, he took over in the middle of a run of defeats, we lost 3 under Jol before we went on an 8 match unbeaten run (6 wins, 2 draws).

this time, we get the crap games out of the way first. the team will gel.

Agreed. We've had three tough away ties, of our six results so far I'm only disappointed with the loss to Everton and the draw with Fulham, both at home.
    at the moment the only problem is putting the ball in the net. as soon as keane starts getting a regular starting place and we get rid of that useless fecker defoe, i think we will see a different team.

Sorry mate, thats so far wide of the mark you might get a game...:D

Keane has started the last 5 league games, he was beyond appaling yesterday. He does not get into dangerous positions and refuses to challenge for 50/50 balls in the air. Can't remember at what stage of yesterdays game this was, but at some point in the 2nd half we countered, Keane was to the left of their goals outside the box, played a ball to Murphy who was more central, Murphy immediately played a ball in behind the defender which Keane should have been running onto, but of course Keane had stopped dead. Sums up Keane's game perfectly, he is a forward and should be a goal threat. At the moment he is anything but.

Defoe got dropped last year after a run without goals, I can't understand why Jol is persisting with Keane who is showing no signs of scoring. Keane's last goal for the first XI? A tap in at Arsenal in April. And that includes pre-season.

Thats not to say Defoe was any better yesterday, but at least he puts himself in dangerous positions where he's more likely to get a goal. Keane is happier on the halfway line, we've enough midifelders on the pitch. If anyone needs a run in the side its Defoe, before yesterday he'd played as a sub in 4 games, getting no more than 34 minutes.

Just saw the brief highlights on Goals on Sunday, Jenas' chance created by Defoe/Davids. Jenas ran 80yds, Keane was trotting over the halfway line.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

well, we have a few winable games coming up in the next few weeks and it's essential that we get past Slavia Prague in the UEFA Cup on Thursday.

we need to get Berbatov, Lennon and Malbranque back as soon as possible...

just hoping we can beat Pompey at home next week..:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 chalky76

Getting rid of Jol isnt going to happe,the board are apparantly in talks about renewing his contract & when you look at how far we have come in a short space of time its well deserved.We are victims of our own success,expectation is big but hey 6 games into the season is nothing...season 89/90 we took 5pts from the first 6 games & still finished 3rd so keep the faith......crucial players are missing through injury & at the end of the day the fact is that these are mainly YOUNG players still learning their trade & any team with so many new faces will need time to adapt to each others game/strengths.....Fergie took 4 yrs to win a trophy/7 to lift the league & much closer to home Keith Burkinshaw took 5 yrs to deliver a pot having relagated the team in his first season 76/77.....Message is it takes time to build success,Rome wasnt built in a day & if you dont believe me just ask Sir Alex....!!;)

• Advertisement

chalky76 wrote:
    Getting rid of Jol isnt going to happe,the board are apparantly in talks about renewing his contract & when you look at how far we have come in a short space of time its well deserved.We are victims of our own success,expectation is big but hey 6 games into the season is nothing...season 89/90 we took 5pts from the first 6 games & still finished 3rd so keep the faith......crucial players are missing through injury & at the end of the day the fact is that these are mainly YOUNG players still learning their trade & any team with so many new faces will need time to adapt to each others game/strengths.....Fergie took 4 yrs to win a trophy/7 to lift the league & much closer to home Keith Burkinshaw took 5 yrs to deliver a pot having relagated the team in his first season 76/77.....Message is it takes time to build success,Rome wasnt built in a day & if you dont believe me just ask Sir Alex....!!;)
    nice post, you make some good points. I certainly think it would be silly to dump Jol now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Jol's getting lucky, Spurs were not great last night. Still what do you expect.

S

slumped wrote:
    Still what do you expect.

S

What do you expect Alan? Are you suggesting the side aren't good enough? The manager isn't good enough? TBH, I'm not sure what you're saying. :confused:

we'll have a good win on Sunday against Portsmouth which will kickstart our season..... you'll see...;)

Me thinks that Jol should be kicked out sooner rather than later.

Mark my words, follow this thread and see hoe Spurs are doing mid-season.

My prediction is bottom half, struggling to avoid relegation.

S

slumped wrote:

S
    you're very pesimistic. I think we'll finish top6 6 and win the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

slumped wrote:

S

So what exactly do you think Martin has done wrong/not done right and who would you prefer as spurs manager? I really am shocked by this. Its all very well saying I told you so if we finish the season fighting a relegation battle, its easy to make a case then, but what woould warrant his sacking now? A slightly less than stellar start to the season. Your not seriously suggestion sacking a manager from a premiership club because of what you think will happen in the future are you?

Babybing wrote:
    So what exactly do you think Martin has done wrong/not done right and who would you prefer as spurs manager? I really am shocked by this. Its all very well saying I told you so if we finish the season fighting a relegation battle, its easy to make a case then, but what woould warrant his sacking now? A slightly less than stellar start to the season. Your not seriously suggestion sacking a manager from a premiership club because of what you think will happen in the future are you?

No, but if you look at where spurs are along with the under performing players they have (Keane in particular) I don't see a way out for them.

I hope they get their act together soon as they don't deserve to be in the bottom half, but I really do believe that Jol is on borrowed time.

I think that looking at managers out there Alan Curbishley would be a great spurs manager.

S

el diablo wrote:
    you're very pesimistic. I think we'll finish top6 6 and win the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup....:rolleyes:

Em, no.

Top 12 yes
    Uefa Cup - quarter finals
    FA Cup - who knows but unlikely

slumped wrote:
    No, but if you look at where spurs are along with the under performing players they have (Keane in particular) I don't see a way out for them.

You don't think the absence of Lennon, Berbatov, and King (until recently) has taken its toll? Along with Zokora they are our 4 most important players...

We haven't played well, that's undeniable. That we can improve is also undeniable. But there was enough in our firt 45 minutes against Pompey to suggest the team are regaining confidence, and that with Berbatov back to partner Defoe we have a front two who will occupy the minds of opposing defences, leaving space for the likes of Murphy, and Lennon/Malbranque when they return.
    slumped wrote:
    I hope they get their act together soon as they don't deserve to be in the bottom half, but I really do believe that Jol is on borrowed time.

No offence, but I think you're spending more time watching your first team than your second. Jol is secure in the job, barring a disaster (such as a relegation dog fight) he will be there next season. We may not finish top 6, and may not win any silverware, but the redevelopment of THFC needs to be looked at on a longer term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement