Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog runs

Options
  • 23-09-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, Can anyone give me any advice on what is the best type of suface to put down for a dog run? The dog is a cocker/collie cross. I don't fancy putting down concrete. Any help???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I would imagine half grass (for soft) and half cement or paving slabs (for keeping nails worn)? a few people here have runs, Im sure somone can help.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Concrete is one of the more hygenic options but if it's not possible then paving slabs you could try putting them on level ground on a sand base. I can't remember what was under ours I think it's a sand and cement mix because they are permanent.
    There are playgournd tiles you can get (saw them in an Arro hardware shop) that are rubbery could be an option, you click them together but the dog might chew them so not sure how safe they are.

Bricks could be used with but very fiddley.

I'd go with paving slabs, if the run is large enough a grassy area if you dog doesn't dig. If the run is smallish then avoid the grass area because it will just get mucky over winter.

Our dog run is concrete which was there thank god already, we have another run that is patio slabbed both work well and are easy to clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You will want something that you can keep clean easily, that you can hose down. Some sort of rubber or plastic maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

Thanks for all the advice. I think concrete or slabs is the way to go !!! With all the rain at the weekend the garden resembled a swamp:mad: so I'll have to put something down that is easy to clean . Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just thought, if you can't concrete/patio the whole area gravel might be an option if the dogs not a digger or stone chewer that is lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Make sure the dogs have somewhere soft to lie and walk too, and a nice soft, washable doggy bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Hi OP,
    Not sure what you went for in the end, we have concrete because it is easier to clean, we were going to go for horse / cattle mats - but glad we didn't because of all the rain etc. (would have been a mess).

Just wanted to tell you to make sure you have some kind of drainage after you clean the run. The ground around ours got very swampy and we ended up digging a small trench to allow the water to run away.

It is a temporary run for the moment, when we are doing it properly we will know better and have proper drainage around it.

Also for sun and rain I would advise a bit of a roof (of some sort) to put over the kennel end. We have a big kennel but with the door open the whole time the rain could get in some times, it was also nice for them in the few sunny days to have a bit of shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

plus concrete or paving slabs will help keep claws worn down so you dont have to clip them so often.:D

Advertisement