Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wally has wireless problem...

• 23-09-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help with this before i throw my laptop out the window. :o

I got a inspiron 6400 about 2 months ago, everything worked fine until yesterday when it couldn't find eircom, it could find another eircom network and other networks but not mine. When it did find it, it would say "Unable to connect" or it would briefly connect but was really slow and i'd only be on it for 30 seconds before it would disconnect and then it would find none.

I called eircom who said it was a problem with my laptop, is this really likely? Everything had been working til yesterday. I'm not sure i can face hours upon hours on the phone to dell again.

(At first i had some problems with my laptop connecting to my eircom wireless but after about 4 hours on the phone to dell i downloaded a new driver and all was well. Also that seemed more about not being able to get an IP address, it wasn't like the problem i have now)

Oh also internet working fine on home computer.

Dell Tech Support seems also to be only Mon-Fri so help would be very much appreciated!

Karen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Hi, try resetting your modem (if you didn't already ) , theres a little hole at the back near the power switch to do this, just poke a straightened paperclip or something in. Not saying this is the cure to your problem but seen this exact problem the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah i just tried it, it still doesn't seem to know eircom exists and its about 2 feet away. Thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Yeah i just tried it, it still doesn't seem to know eircom exists and its about 2 feet away. Thanks though!
    Well, after you've done a hardware reset, you should log onto the router from the PC and reset up the wireless configuration, and then reset the wireless client settings on the laptop.

You really shouldn't just use the eircom supplied defaults. Change the network name (SSID) from eircom to something more relevant to you, and make sure that you set the encrypton level to WPA, and set a password that is a short sentence of 4 or 5 words, with some numbers thrown in. Now that your neighbour has set up a wireless router, you probably want to change the channel that your router is using to avoid interference (that's probably why it stopped working after 2 months without problems).

Set the same WPA level encryption on your laptop, with the same password, and you should be all set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Em thanks for that. I've no idea how to do any of that, but i'll try to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Em thanks for that. I've no idea how to do any of that, but i'll try to figure it out.
    It's all documented in the manual that came with the modem.

Logon to the router from the PC by opening the web page at http://192.168.1.254

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

i had a similar problem with my 6400 and it nearly drove me insane i found a solution on the intel site that has worked
    http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006205.htm

i just spotted that dell have updated the driver , so you might try that first

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R134881&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=9540&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=3&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=179649

Advertisement