Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shev-no-good-ko?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Look at the videos I linked to, it's the player that Shev should be. Winning most 50-50 tackles, shrugging off and powering past defenders, using pace and trickery to beat his man, excellent finishing, winning headers, etc. Maybe he doesn't have the pace anymore but he should certainly be more than physical enough for the Premier League.

If anything the videos show just how much space he has been use to getting in Serie A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The lack of effectiveness of Shevchenko is alarming really. I rated him as an excellent player over the years and a lethal finisher and I thought he would have done very well at Chelsea. However, things have turned out differently.

The reasons for it may be multiple. Managers have been speaking about World Cup 'hangovers', mental tiredness, etc, and he may be suffering from some of that. Obvioulsly at a new club he feels under pressure to do well and with no guarantee of a 1st team place at Chelsea, there is perhaps more than at other clubs. He is buckling and is lacking in confdence, which you can see with mis-kicks, poor control, bad selection of passes, etc. Mourinho is giving him every chance to play but he cant shake himself out of it.

Of course, its not all bad, but he still lacks confidence no matter what. There may be family issues, and Berlusconi let his thoughts be known the other day, but that's sour grapes to some extent.

Perhaps he is 'homesick' for Italy and Milan. But whatever the cause of his lack of performances, one thing is clear, and that is that he doesnt look as if he will shake them off for a while, as each game is the same. Mourinho can only stick with him for so long in this vein of form. The clock is ticking. If anyone needs a run of luck, its him.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Doesn't look like he's heading back to Milan anyways after this from Berlusconi.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=CWIDSNGBMHSN
    Particular liked these bits:
    The Ukrainian has struggled to make an impact since his £30m (€44.8m) move from the San Siro and the former Italian prime minister has chosen to take a public view on Shevchenko’s private life – describing him as a “lap-dog” for his supermodel wife.

“A true Milanista and a real man would not have behaved like this,” he told Gazzetto dello Sport.

“At my home I’m in charge and decide what happens. Instead, when Shevchenko’s wife shouts, he runs under the bed like a lap-dog.

“His wife ordered him to London with their children, where the fog will do their lungs the world of good.”

Obviously being a multi-millionaire married to a 6ft supermodel kicking a ball around the park has it's problems, poor man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I didn't read through the thread so apologies if this has been said already, Anyone hear the story that Milan were willing to let him go to Chelsea for £20 million but Kenyon said £30 because it would have an "impact" on world football and see Chelsea join the big boys.
    It must be easy to make big statements with other people's money, namely "I'm a tool, look how much i play for a washed up loser".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I didn't read through the thread so apologies if this has been said already, Anyone hear the story that Milan were willing to let him go to Chelsea for £20 million but Kenyon said £30 because it would have an "impact" on world football and see Chelsea join the big boys.
    I don't get it.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whenever he gets the ball, I'm scared. There are very few players who have that effect on me, but for me, I"m absolutely terrified that he might start scoring like he did at Milan, because true class always comes through.
    Mourinho believes in him, and if he starts firing on all pistons, United might need to win every single game between now and the end of the year.

I pray to god he is sold in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

It must be easy to make big statements with other people's money, namely "I'm a tool, look how much i play for a washed up loser".

.....and do you actually believe this?

Sounds like nonsense. Everyone knows Chelsea economic might, they wouldnt have to pull such a pointless stunt to prove it. Even at 20million and given his large pay pocket this was still a deal the majority of clubs couldnt fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

PHB wrote:
    because true class always comes through.

Thats what people kept saying about Morientes at the pool - but never happened - as they say some people just aint suited to the Premiership - and so far Shevchenko is proving to be likewise. That and a complete lack of confidence. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

:rolleyes:

I'm really glad you took the time and effort to share that bit of unsubstantiated bs with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Never thought Mourientes was a class player to be honest. 4 different managers at Real didn't play/believe in him so thats got to tell you something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

all i can say is Drogba pants last year,this year best stricker in the world at the moment..
    Sheva-pants this season,find world class form nxt season???just needs the kinda ball he got in the Community Shield this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

iregk wrote:
    Never thought Mourientes was a class player to be honest. 4 different managers at Real didn't play/believe in him so thats got to tell you something.
    He was a regular there under Del Bosque until they signed Ronaldo, and he won 3 European Cups in that time scoring over 100 goals for the club. Simply put, he's a legend in Madrid. 26 goals in 44 caps for Spain isn't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

For all you people who doubt the validity of my story i have two words for you. Seth Johnson.

In case you dont know, Johnson was bought by Leeds for 7 million, from Derby. They then proceeded to give the unproven under 21 international £30 grand a week.

Why did they do it? Impact. That is it. Ridsdale thought it would make the club a big name and help lure other big name talent.

Now, with a club with unlimited money and little prestiege, this seems entirely plausible to me.

For all you people who doubt the validity of my story i have two words for you. Seth Johnson.

In case you dont know, Johnson was bought by Leeds for 7 million, from Derby. They then proceeded to give the unproven under 21 international £30 grand a week.

Why did they do it? Impact. That is it. Ridsdale thought it would make the club a big name and help lure other big name talent.

Now, with a club with unlimited money and little prestiege, this seems entirely plausible to me.

Rubbish , there is absolutely nothing similar between those 2 deals. Leeds paid Johnson over 30k a week because of their deperation to sign what they thought was a future England star( he had a cap against italy ) and the sucessful negoatating skills of Johnson and his agent. Those wages fitted into their model and their belief of his future ability. I think he was on about 11k ,which was very decent, at Derby and they had paid a decent 3mil to sign him from Crewe so the guy wasnt playing for beer vouchers before Leeds came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

So Ballack, Drogba 24m, Veron 12m , Robben 10m, Duff 16m, SWP 21m, Crespo, Carvhalo 9m, Cech 10m, A Cole, Makalele 16m, Essien 22m didn't allready do this? They needed to spend another 30m on Shevchenko to show the world they were the new money and transfer power?:rolleyes:

Come on, honestly now. Do you believe everything you read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well it looks like Shev will be getting a chance tonight as leading striker as Drogba is being rested. I'd love to see Shev actually hit some form at Chelsea instead of listening to ridiculous excuses like he's too good to play in England or that the Chelsea game doesn't suit him.

lol

so you reckon that chelsea would fork out an extra £10 million in order to raise their profile ("who are ya?" I hear them shout) amongst the global football playing fraternity?

I guess there may be one of two kids in Borneo, and the odd deaf-mute cricket fan in the australian outback who haven't heard of chelsea over the last 5 years, but I doubt the that exta £10 mil for Sheva would alter that very much.

You can't seriously think this, can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

You all read his post wrong Kenyon started at £30 not £30 million :rolleyes:
    I know it was a low starting point in negotiations but you've got to start somewhere, here's how it works Kenyon says £30 Milan say £60,000,000 and after 2 hours they settle for £30,000,000 basic negotiating, I mean if Kenyon had bought Shevchenko for £30 that would have made an impact and would have been about as believable as the comment above.

• Advertisement

£30 and Shaun Wright Featherweight Philips would have been a good deal though.

patmac wrote:
    You all read his post wrong Kenyon started at £30 not £30 million :rolleyes:
    I know it was a low starting point in negotiations but you've got to start somewhere, here's how it works Kenyon says £30 Milan say £60,000,000 and after 2 hours they settle for £30,000,000 basic negotiating, I mean if Kenyon had bought Shevchenko for £30 that would have made an impact and would have been about as believable as the comment above.

:) Could you imagine listening into that phone conversation between the slighly shady Silvio Berlusconi and the business mogul / Chelsea brand machine that is Peter Kenyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

PHB wrote:
    might need to win every single game between now and the end of the year.
    Another 11 days? I'd prefer them to keep on going till the end of the season myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

PHB wrote:
    United might need to win every single game between now and the end of the year.
    Another 11 days? I'd prefer them to win every game till the end of the season myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Morientes isn't in the same class as Shevchenko, and the three years before Morientes had signed for Liverpool he had scored a total of 28 goals, in three years. Morientes had four very good years in Spain, but didn't produce in Spain consistantly in the end, and had a decent year in Monaco, shining in the CL, but getting an average return in the league.

In the last three years before Shev joined Chelsea, he has scored 83 goals! 83!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well Shev had one of his better games today starting upfront as the main striker getting a shot on goal that hit the bar. He was replaced by Drogba in the 75th minute who subsequently scored a couple of minutes later with a fantastic curling strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

This is actually true.

Seth Johson's agent was looking for 15k a week, Risdale offered 30k to instantly put him in the same pay category as the other 'stars' to indicate that he was a world class player. The negotians lasted less than 5minutes apparantly and Leeds just finished paying his wages this year!

John Morris is Johnsons agent ( 95% sure of that), i read an interview in paper one time and it roughly went like this.

" Me and seth decided to look for 15-16k a week but when we walked in Risdale offer us 30k, I then said we were looking for more and so we settled at 37k"

To me that just proves Risdale was an twit and not that he was trying to prove Leeds were the new super power by offering Johnson 37k a week.

I think if clubs want to make a statement to the rest of the world that they are serious then they do so by trying to sign the top players and not buy over spending or paying stupid wages. Sometimes the these go hand in hand. Signing Seth Johnson who was unproven and pretty much a nobody on the European stage wasnt going to send a chill down the spine of the premiership let alone the teams of the CL.

Advertisement