Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted advertising left on windscreen?

• 23-09-2006 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Who do I complain to about unwanted advertising flyers left under my windscreen wipers? I'm fed up of it - I suddenly become responsible for ensuring this is disposed of correctly? My hole!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

ciaranfo wrote:
    Who do I complain to about unwanted advertising flyers left under my windscreen wipers? I'm fed up of it - I suddenly become responsible for ensuring this is disposed of correctly? My hole!

Too bad you left your windscreen wipers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ring up your local Co Co and report the said company for littering.
    A nice fine should make them re-think their marketing strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Too bad you left your windscreen wipers off.
    I don't get it?

@whiskeyman - it's up to the council? I thought there was some agency or something. I'll have a look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well, I remember a thread where someone queried the legality etc... of handing out flyers outside an event.
    I believe you have to be careful, as the local council can fine you for each flyer they found to be littered.
    I presume this logic could be used in your situation.
    To be honest, I've never seen this type of advertising now in a good few years and am surprised they're still doing it.

Bottom line - if I throw it on the ground some litter warden is gonna come and fine me. Why should I have to take soemone elses crap into my car? Just allow me to legally throw it on the ground .. that'll be fine.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    I don't get it?

@whiskeyman - it's up to the council? I thought there was some agency or something. I'll have a look into it.

Well you got the litter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭greg678

Yeah it pisses me off too, but we have to live with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Sonnenblumen, quit trying to be "funny", because you're not.

surely not something to be too upset over....
    take it off and put ot in the bin. simple as.
    Yeah it pisses me off too, but we have to live with it
    Why should I have to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Sonnenblumen, ciaranfo thread is not really marketing related and so should not be in theis forum, so don't get your knickers in a twist. It deserves to be looked at humourously as it is so inconsequential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

take it off and put ot in the bin. simple as.

Please dispose of such material by recycling;)

It was a serious thread. I actually wanted to find out who I can report this to. Laugh as you will. It may be minor, but it bugs me.

Buglim wrote:
    Sonnenblumen, ciaranfo thread is not really marketing related and so should not be in theis forum, so don't get your knickers in a twist. It deserves to be looked at humourously as it is so inconsequential

.....if only I could make sense of what it is you wish to say!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭yellow

I did a B. Comm degree majoring in marketing in Galway also and went onto do the M.B.S in Marketing at the Smurfit School of Business Dublin made finding a job alot easier. So I would suggest doing a masters

yellow wrote:
    I did a B. Comm degree majoring in marketing in Galway also and went onto do the M.B.S in Marketing at the Smurfit School of Business Dublin made finding a job alot easier. So I would suggest doing a masters
    What ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

yellow wrote:

Wrong thread....possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

you all seem very uptight here. Chill out.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Firstly – the distribution of ‘printed matter’ is protected under our constitution – democracy and all that so the act of distributing is not illegal. However – this may not be as straight forward as you think. Dublin City Council (I make the assumption that it is in Dublin City) may not see this type of leafleting as ‘litter’ as it is on your windscreen and thus your property, not the path that’s their ‘property’. If you discard it – you are littering!

Anyways – the people to contact are the litter wardens based in the Civic Offices on Wood Key - they are good at giving advice and will be delighted to chat to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

blue4ever wrote:
    Firstly – the distribution of ‘printed matter’ is protected under our constitution – democracy and all that so the act of distributing is not illegal.
    Under the Litter Pollution Act 1997 the placing of advertising leaflets on car windscreens is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Under the Litter Pollution Act 1997 the placing of advertising leaflets on car windscreens is illegal.

can you give me the section that specifically outlaws the placing of leaflets on windscreens - i havn't come accross this

blue4ever wrote:
    can you give me the section that specifically outlaws the placing of leaflets on windscreens - i havn't come accross this

Litter Pollution Act 1997

Section 19:

(2) A person shall not place advertising material on a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place without the prior consent of the person who owns, or is in charge of, the vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

pwned~!

wyndham wrote:
    pwned~!
    ???? :confused:

Who are the exact people one would complain to then? Someone I can email? Or write to (and get a response?).

ciaranfo wrote:
    Who are the exact people one would complain to then? Someone I can email? Or write to (and get a response?).
    Contact the Environment section of your local authority. Each local authority is obliged to prepare a litter management plan for its area. This plan sets out their objectives to prevent and control litter as well as measures to encourage public awareness. The plan must also set out the measures and arrangements by which they intend to achieve their objectives. A copy of the offending flyer would be helpful to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

ciaranfo wrote:

Ah will you feck off and dont be a moan, some people have real problems, put it in your car and put it in the bin when you get home.

tom-thebox wrote:
    Ah will you feck off and dont be a moan, some people have real problems, put it in your car and put it in the bin when you get home.
    Why should I have to put up with it?

Advertisement