Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHow can Bad moderators get away with it?

Options
  • 23-09-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I have just been banned from the Politics Forum by oscarBravo.

He claims I am banned because he didnt beleive that the post I wrote eas my own!

I have already explained to him that it was a collection of articles that I picked up and rewrote in my own words, but the idiot says I copied and pasted them from someone else.

The fact is he disagreed with my points, which is fine, But he shouldnt be allowed to ban me for this!

By the way sorry for the misspelling in the tittle!

Why are Moderators allowed to voice there opinions in Forums and when someone disagrees with them Ban Them!

Is there anyway to report there abuse and get them banned?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, you've reported it by posting here, but you forgot to link to the actual thread in question. How do I go look for myself to see what happened?

Phrasing things as "but the idiot says ..." tends to make me wary of any claims you make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 neolxs

ecksor wrote:
    Well, you've reported it by posting here, but you forgot to link to the actual thread in question. How do I go look for myself to see what happened?

Phrasing things as "but the idiot says ..." tends to make me wary of any claims you make.

Its through Frustration that I use the word idiot, But the guy also claims that he has the word moderator under his name but he dosent.

It seems to be ok for the moderators to lie and get away with it!

I still don't know how to find the thread you're talking about ...

Banned from Politics

Ban is for a week. If you're prepared to engage in adult debate - within the framework of the rules - in a week's time, PM me for readmission.

blog: Brewing up a Storm

Jedi Janitor of the award-winning boards.ie Knights of Comeonbanus™
    My Reply

So you ban me on a accusation?

Please forward me details of who I can complain to in regards to you Attitude.

HIS REPLY
    AND NO I DIDNT COPY AND PASTE. I DID USE A ARTICE FOR REFERENCE. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? CAN YOU SLEEP BETTER KNOWING THAT i HAVENT BROKEN THE RULES?

By the way: I don't believe you. Feel free to prove me wrong, however, by linking to the article you "referenced" but didn't copy and paste.

My REPLY
    Re: Article

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oscarBravo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neolxs

No, I banned you for your attitude, for pasting someone else's article without attribution or comment, and for ignoring my directions as moderator. Thus far you've added more heat than light to the Politics forum.
    Quote:

You can PM the Category Moderator, gandalf. You could also PM the admins, but I doubt they'd be too interested in getting involved. You could also start a thread on the Feedback board.

As I have already informed you I have not copied and pasted someone elses article. I have researched information and as per the rules wrote in im my own words. Now if you are going to Ban people over accusations you are out of order. Further more you say I ignored your directions as a moderator, You never told me that you were one.

You claim that I have added more heat than light to the Forum? Im sorry but who are you to judge what I beleive to be truth in a democratic forum. i have continously asked you to awnser my questions as to "How have imigrants benefited the Irish republic?" And you have failed to debate this with me, but instead you have made a false allegation and banned me. If you disagree with me thats fine, but certainly dont abuse your power and go banning me. Unless of course you are Scared as to what I write!

HIS REPLY

Quote:

No, I banned you for your attitude, for pasting someone else's article without attribution or comment, and for ignoring my directions as moderator. Thus far you've added more heat than light to the Politics forum.
    Quote:

You can PM the Category Moderator, gandalf. You could also PM the admins, but I doubt they'd be too interested in getting involved. You could also start a thread on the Feedback board.

Jedi Janitor of the award

my reply
    Firstly you do not have moderator under your username.

If you feel I have copied and pasted domething you proove it or do you operate guily until proven inocent policy?

You complain as to the manner I post something? That is complete and utter rubbish.

You are a bigot and a Liar, and I will forward you rubbish to the owners of this site. So Once again I ask you to provide me the e-mail address of the owners of the boards so that I may now make a formal complaint against you

his reply

Quote:
    As I have already informed you I have not copied and pasted someone elses article. I have researched information and as per the rules wrote in im my own words. Now if you are going to Ban people over accusations you are out of order.

I've already stated that I don't believe you, and offered you an opportunity to prove me wrong. I've also already stated that that's not the sole reason for your banning.
    Quote:
    Further more you say I ignored your directions as a moderator, You never told me that you were one.

It clearly states that I am one of the Politics moderators under my user name.
    Quote:
    You claim that I have added more heat than light to the Forum? Im sorry but who are you to judge what I beleive to be truth in a democratic forum.

It's not a democratic forum, and I'm one of the moderators of it. I have no issue with you expressing your opinions; merely with the manner in which you express them.
    Quote:
    i have continously asked you to awnser my questions as to "How have imigrants benefited the Irish republic?" And you have failed to debate this with me, but instead you have made a false allegation and banned me. If you disagree with me thats fine, but certainly dont abuse your power and go banning me. Unless of course you are Scared as to what I write!

I don't believe the allegation was false (but feel free to prove me wrong). I didn't abuse my "power". And I'm not interested in discussing this any further with you. The ban stands. It's only a week, deal with it.

my reply

Re: Banned from Politics

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oscarBravo
    Ban is for a week. If you're prepared to engage in adult debate - within the framework of the rules - in a week's time, PM me for readmission.

ALSO PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT RULES I HAVE BROKEN SO THAT I MAY DEFEND MYSELF TO THE OWNERS OF THE BOARD AND ALSO SHOW THEM WHAT A LIAR YOU TRUELY ARE!

HIS REPLY

Quote:
    Firstly you do not have moderator under your username.

Yes, I do. It says "Mod: Archery, Open Source, Politics".
    Quote:
    If you feel I have copied and pasted domething you proove it or do you operate guily until proven inocent policy?

You complain as to the manner I post something? That is complete and utter rubbish.

You are a bigot and a Liar, and I will forward you rubbish to the owners of this site. So Once again I ask you to provide me the e-mail address of the owners of the boards so that I may now make a formal complaint against you.

I've already told you that you can take your complaint to the Feedback forum. I've also already told you that I'm not interested in discussing the matter any further with you.

oscarBravo
    malleus mupeficarum

Adverts | Blog | Friends
    Mod: Archery, Open Source, Politics

Now I have checked his details and fine I gather that Mod is short for Moderator. But this is new to me. And my point is that I really feel I am banned because of my points of view rather any REAL reasons.

ecksor wrote:

Hi Sorry, Thisis the Link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993115

Sorry its a bit heavy with a lot of debate.

• Advertisement

Ahh, there we go. Ok, I'll look at it in a while.

Ok, when I saw that post it looked to me like you had copied and pasted. The typing style and grammar were very different to your other posts.

Even if you didn't realise that he was a Moderator, it's an entirely reasonable request on that forum to give your sources. You should have merely pointed to something like this: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23365860-details/CBI+chief+urges+curbs+to+eastern+bloc+migrants/article.do

Asking you to stop making claims on behalf of the entire West of Ireland is entirely reasonable in my view also. A sudden rant about Kerry winning the all-ireland? Is that something to do with where he's from?

Why did you accuse him of being a bigot?
    Now I have checked his details and fine I gather that Mod is short for Moderator. But this is new to me. And my point is that I really feel I am banned because of my points of view rather any REAL reasons.

I don't think anybody is going to get particularly threatened by your stance on politics. It usually just comes down to whether you're willing to argue your POV or (more to the point on that thread) whether you will answer requests to provide sources for your claims.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Some forums are more strictly modded than others on boards, Politics is one of them.
    It is in a posters interest to familiarise themselves with the rules and charter of said forums before posting and to know who mods that particular forum.
    This can reduce hassle for everyone.
    It's only a week, just drop Oscar a PM when it's up.
    BTW, to the best of my knowledge, Oscar is neither a liar or a bigot

Well Im still unaware as to why I am Banned!

No reason has been given, as far as I understand.

Moderators should not be allowed to take part in discussions. How can they hold a fair and unbiased moderation post if they get involved in discussions. And it would seem that when they disagree with your points they go and ban you for virtually nothing!

As I stated to Oscar, Those words are my own, if he dosent beleive that surely that is his problem. Unless he can proove to me and the world that I am a fake, (which Im not) He has no right to falsely claim my writtings are other than my own.

But I suppose that is one cheap way of banning people you disagree with, claim what they write is a "Copy and Paste" ask them to show there links which is hardly easy when you taking information from Magazine and newspapers and creating 1 single post!

I Honestly thought www.Boards.ie was a fair and Unbiased Message Board Facilty, but clearly it is not. As Oscar has already stated they are not Democratic in any way.

As to my request to my sources I have given Oscar my main sources, but still this isnt enough.

He is a poor Moderator. He can make cheap attacks on me, But yet takes offence when I hit back and remind him that Kerry won the GAA.

So I will not bother these boards ever again as there is no point when you cant make points!

• Advertisement

The reasoning that I understand is that you weren't engaging with him in his attempts to moderate the thread.

OscarBravo asked you several questions which you weren't responding to you and now you're not responding to mine. It's difficult to run a "fair and unbiased" facility when users don't cooperate with the mods.

Even if that was a genuine oversight on the thread, accusations such as 'bigot' in the resulting PM conversation isn't likely to be productive.
    As I stated to Oscar, Those words are my own, if he dosent beleive that surely that is his problem. Unless he can proove to me and the world that I am a fake, (which Im not) He has no right to falsely claim my writtings are other than my own.

As I've already pointed out, that post looks suspicious to me too purely due to style. A quick comparison of parts of that post and the article I linked to above would support the idea that at the very least you should have referenced a source. Do you agree that they have some similarities?
    But I suppose that is one cheap way of banning people you disagree with, claim what they write is a "Copy and Paste" ask them to show there links which is hardly easy when you taking information from Magazine and newspapers and creating 1 single post!

Well, your "due process" is here on this thread. If you choose not to address my points, then I can't do anything for you. You could have merely said which newspapers and magazines you'd referenced.
    So I will not bother these boards ever again as there is no point when you cant make points!

Well, you were making a lot of claims, which were being disputed. The data you referenced was also having different interpretations offered. People were basically disagreeing with your points and offering reasons why. Your response was to offer anecdotes and assert that everyone in the west of Ireland felt a certain way and basically it appeared like you'd disengaged from any attempt to debate and were just ranting. In that context, what was the point of a comment about Kerry football? Do you not see how it all looks?

If you want to leave and claim that you were banned because people can't handle the truth, then go right ahead, but you honestly haven't tried to work this out in a reasonable manner as far as I can tell.

Ah, missed your edits:
    As to my request to my sources I have given Oscar my main sources, but still this isnt enough.

I've missed this part of your exchange. Details please?
    He is a poor Moderator. He can make cheap attacks on me, But yet takes offence when I hit back and remind him that Kerry won the GAA.

Did he take offence at that? Again, details please. In the thread and PMs you linked I didn't see any mention of it from him. He just appeared to comment that it was inappropriate on the thread, which it was.

BTW, you notice that he was warning the people who were attacking you personally as well as warning you? I'm unclear on where the bias is here.

Advertisement